My New Prime Has Aluminum Case Defect

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
On Saturday I received an emal from best buy offering triple reward zone points for any in-store purchase. I also had $15 in reward certificates to use so I decided to finally purchase a Prime.

I went to my nearest Best Buy with no clue if they had any in stock. After waiting for an associate a bit I asked and he looked like he doubted they had any in-stock. But he went to a cabinet and hailed me over and looks as pleased as I was that they had one more in stock. Paid $484 before tax. Figure I will use the triple points I earn ($60) to purchase the dock.

Go home all excited. Plugged it in. Fired it up. Everything looked great. Then on my left hand I felt something digging into my palm. I figured it was one of the buttons, since the edges are a bit sharp/narrow. Upon a closer inspection, I noticed that the edge of the aluminum case where it meets the glass has some sort of shear. It almost looks like when you do a bad job of opening a can.. It's small enough that it can't catch enough skin to cut me, but it does feel sharp and it does feel uncomfortable. If this was a $200 tablet, I might just let it slide since they are so hard to get. But this is a $500 tablet! I can't believe this got through ASUS quality control. :-\

I called the Best Buy I purchased from and they didn't have any, neither did 2 others in my area. They said that the don't have any left in the warehouse either so they can't order it for me yet. Besides, if they order it, I will have to return this one and I will be Primeless for a couple weeks. I have premier silver status in Reward Zone at BB, so I assume I have 45 days to find a Best Buy with one in stock so I can exchange it.

I was thinking about going through ASUS Warranty. Do you think it will cover this for a replacement? I have included some links to pics on the defect. These were taken with my Galaxy Nexus, which I can't figure out how to take macro pics on.

IMG_20120226_105203 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_20120226_105316_1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_20120226_105357 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
You may not see one in store at BB anytime soon. I would see what ASUS would do to correct it and hopefully it will not be a refurb replacement since it is so new to you. I know how you feel with the Reward points though. Since it is a manufacturing defect, I don't see it being a problem. Of course you will never know if you don't try.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Definitely do whatever it takes to get a new one back to you. Even if you have to be prime-less for a week or so. You spent a lot of money on this thing, and it's supposed to be brand new, and damn near flawless. That's a pretty big flaw in my opinion. As a consumer who just spent their money, I wouldn't accept that product. It's not anyone's fault (with the exception of ASUS QC department), so try not to get too angry about it, but still, be kind, professional but also determined. You shouldn't have to live with that one. Once you get your new one you will be a lot happier.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I signed up to nowinstock.net to get notified when Best Buy has one in-stock again. As a premier silver member I confirmed that I have 45 days to return it. So if I don't find one in the next 5 weeks, I will contact Asus. If they will be sending me a refurbished one, then I will pass and just return it to Best Buy.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Return it and buy one at gamestop, I got mine there since bb didn't have any and it came with 5 free games (even though I already paid for 2 a while ago:

On Saturday I received an emal from best buy offering triple reward zone points for any in-store purchase. I also had $15 in reward certificates to use so I decided to finally purchase a Prime.

I went to my nearest Best Buy with no clue if they had any in stock. After waiting for an associate a bit I asked and he looked like he doubted they had any in-stock. But he went to a cabinet and hailed me over and looks as pleased as I was that they had one more in stock. Paid $484 before tax. Figure I will use the triple points I earn ($60) to purchase the dock.

Go home all excited. Plugged it in. Fired it up. Everything looked great. Then on my left hand I felt something digging into my palm. I figured it was one of the buttons, since the edges are a bit sharp/narrow. Upon a closer inspection, I noticed that the edge of the aluminum case where it meets the glass has some sort of shear. It almost looks like when you do a bad job of opening a can.. It's small enough that it can't catch enough skin to cut me, but it does feel sharp and it does feel uncomfortable. If this was a $200 tablet, I might just let it slide since they are so hard to get. But this is a $500 tablet! I can't believe this got through ASUS quality control. :-\

I called the Best Buy I purchased from and they didn't have any, neither did 2 others in my area. They said that the don't have any left in the warehouse either so they can't order it for me yet. Besides, if they order it, I will have to return this one and I will be Primeless for a couple weeks. I have premier silver status in Reward Zone at BB, so I assume I have 45 days to find a Best Buy with one in stock so I can exchange it.

I was thinking about going through ASUS Warranty. Do you think it will cover this for a replacement? I have included some links to pics on the defect. These were taken with my Galaxy Nexus, which I can't figure out how to take macro pics on.

IMG_20120226_105203 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_20120226_105316_1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_20120226_105357 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
So having 60 bucks with of points is with having a crappy $550 product?

No. But the tablet works fine. It's really just a cosmetic defect. I am going to use the $60 in points to buy the dock for $89.99 at Best Buy.

I am using the tablet everyday. I just want to exchange it for an unblemished one when they are available, Like I said, if one doesn't become available, I will have to return it before the 45 days.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
A local Best Buy got some in stock on Friday. I called to confirm and then I rushed over there and exchanged my Prime. This one is perfect. I am very happy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174