My Nexus 9 (w/ misc iPad Air) Impressions (Ongoing)

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never bothered with adaptive brightness on anything. It's always been useless.

If they can fix the squawking speaker issue on the IPad, I might go for that, even tho I've never owned an Apple anything, or maybe a Samsung. I've had a very good experience with a much older Samsung. Maybe they'll come out with a new Samsung model before - Ch - oops, you're not allowed to say that word any more are you? - before Holi-f'in-day I mean.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets really warm as well at the top (or side in landscape). Even doing things like browsing.

And the adaptive brightness is horrible. I've read in this forum where people said they didn't have an issue with it, and either they don't have it turned on or are sitting in direct sunlight. It's awful.

What is the issue with the adaptive brightness. Does it not work?

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
With it on, it is constantly searching for the correct brightness. I'm sure an update will fix it, but it's so annoying. I just manually adjust brightness.
I just manually adjust brightness on the N7 too. Who needs it done "automatically" - and badly? That's a feature I have no use for - as opposed to, say, wireless charging.

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear HTT....thanks for the comprehensive, thoughtful, real time testing and assessment of the tablet. Probably the best review of the hardware I've seen in any forum. You've got a future in this, bud :)

pappabas

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your nice review.
I was really looking forward to the Nexus 9. My usage scenario is quite similar to yours.
I had a original Nexus 7 and was very very happy with it (gave it to my sis recently so it lives on) :)
The issue I gather from all these reviews online is basically inline with your experience ie the tablet is pretty nice but not at that pricepoint.
I also need the 32GB version and that is just way too much money for what you get. The premium for the extra 16GB is just stupid.
Looked in store at both Samsung Tab S (gorgeous screen, light but with pretty mediocre performance) and the Nvidia Shield (nice performance, good screen but a bit thick and heavy) both of them expandable with SD-cards. But in the end I saw that Apple is selling out the mini2 32GB for around $350.
The mini2 was also quite a bit lighter than the Shield (similar to the Tab S), good screen and performance looks to be pretty ok aswell. So it is Apple now until Nexus presents something good :/ (as they have in the past).
Google really needs the Nexus line to combat fragmentation and lack of updates to other devices.
My Nexus 4 phone is still working perfect and when it dies I hope to replace it with another Nexus... just not a huge Nexus 6.
So I hope that next fall brings better Nexus products :)

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
High-tech, have you tried to import your books into the Kindle app? Obviously, they'd have to be converted, but I wonder if it work better than the other readers.

Posted from my Nexus 7

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I did. I even have .mobi versions of my books available direct from the source. Kindle app doesn't always render properly either and the process for uploading into Kindle is annoying (download + email to kindle).

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I put an epub into Mantano Reader on my Nexus 9, an epub I personally made with Sigil that I know is well crafted, one that passes ePubCheck, has valid CSS, it looked exactly as it should! And yes, it had a few images and they rendered absolutely correctly.

So no problems here with reading on the Nexus 9. It's a lovely device!

Though I agree, the adaptive brightness is not working well! Fortunately, I've never really liked having a device decided what my eyes like, so that's a flaw I can live with. Still, if one includes it as an option, it should work! Perhaps it'll be fixed with an update later.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I put an epub into Mantano Reader on my Nexus 9, an epub I personally made with Sigil that I know is well crafted, one that passes ePubCheck, has valid CSS, it looked exactly as it should! And yes, it had a few images and they rendered absolutely correctly.

Very nice option indeed. I had not seen that one. Just tested the free version and rendering indeed as far as I can tell is spot on. Really, the only downfall of the app is that it also has my mentioned footnote issue (this is a minor gripe though). The bigger annoyance is no built-in dictionary. Requires Internet connection to use and the interface could be better. But, it does have syncing!

I'd place that next to Kobo. Each with their own strengths, but the syncing part has me very interested, as I might be able to deal with the other shortcomings for the time being while I hope they eventually do a Material design update. Will play with it some more.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Mantano has been my go to reader app for some time, though honestly, I prefer my Kobo Aura HD e-ink for most of my reading. Still, it's nice to have tablet options for days the Kobo isn't with me.

Haven't yet tried their cloud sync, but that's been tempting me. I don't care for the "big companies" to know just what I'm uploading, since, though I make my ebooks for my own enjoyment and don't pass them around, most are copyrighted material even if probably orphaned works.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Donald Smith2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice write up - I appreciate this and the follow on comments/questions. I'm long due for an upgrade and intending to address that in the coming weeks and have been eyeing up the reviews of the N9; I found this to be very practical and user oriented.

As is, I'm leaning towards Nvidia's Shield tablet. The bump on the back of the N9 I may be Ok with, but the light bleed along the screen would bother me quite a bit. Software issues will workout over the next couple months; some quicker than others... I'm good with that. If I get wind of a production refinement before hand, I'll look to the revised allotment; I'll also take notice of any big sales impacting the N9 - if I could get the 32Gb for 300-325, I'd be Ok with the existing issues (I think).

My typical usage - lots of reading, but a good mix of videos and games as I look to unwind while traveling or commuting. Games - nothing to fancy; I wouldn't be as concerned with the Shield's hub (again, right now...).

Thanks!

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Awesome review, HighTechToid. I'm looking at either the Ipad Air 2, but waiting to see if they sort out some reported early problems, like WiFi, or the Samsung whatchamacallit, the 10" with the great screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol