My phone won't make or receive calls.

Nemesis-X

Jun 7, 2021
Visit site
I own and LG v35, and being a not popular phone I figured I'd ask here as it will get more views.
A few days ago, I woke up and found my phone couldn't make or receive calls. I open the default dialer, phone the number but the call isn't made, it just sits on the dialing stage.
And when people call me, it goes straight to my voicemail.
I am though able to make calls through Duo and Skype.
The things I've done so far:

1. Reset my Network settings
2. Reset my APN and verified the settings through Telus
3. Cleaned the SIM card
4. Tried other dialers
5. Booted into Safe Mode to attempt a call

But nothing has worked, so I'm hoping someone here with the knowledge can shed some light on this problem.

EDIT: So I tried the sim in another phone and it works no problem. I'm also able to make calls via Skype or Duo. But when I use any dialer app I'm unable to call or recieve.

Thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you find a VoLTE setting anywhere in the system settings? It might be called Advanced Calling, HD Voice, Enhanced 4G, or some other silly proprietary name. Make sure it's turned on.

Nemesis-X

Jun 7, 2021
Visit site
The only VoLTE setting I can find is in advanced settings from the dialer, but it only gives Options for VoLTE quality, Noise suppression and Voice Clarity. I went into Device Settings and typed VoLTE and all it came back with was a link to the same three options.

Nemesis-X

Jun 7, 2021
Visit site
Yeah that's where it gets tricky and I just may be SOL. I'm on a BYOD Plan and the phone is not a Telus purchased device so I cannot expect any support for it. I did call up and talk to an agent and they ran through their tests to determine if the SIM was defective but everything was correct on their end. I did forget to disclose that I am on an AT&T V35, flashed to the Korean ROM since that was the only way in Canada, I would be able to get Android 10 on this device.
I have been using the phone without problem since January of this year without any problems so this one was very strange as the very day before I was making calls and receiving without any issue.
Maybe re-flashing the ROM would fix the issue if the Modem got corrupted or something, I'm just taking a stab in the dark here.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Given all the things you performed to diagnose the problem it did seem really puzzling -- since the SIM worked in a different phone that apparently ruled out the problem being with the SIM card or the status of your account with Telus; the Safe Mode, Network Settings reset, and others pretty much ruled out your phone itself being the source of the problem; as did Duo and Skype calls working out OK (both functioning in a similar way as WiFi Calling since they can use WiFi or cellular connectivity).
But your last posting referring to using a Korean ROM might be an indicator on what happened. Different carriers rely upon different types of cellular networks (varying combinations of bands/frequencies) so that's why different phones work with some carriers but not all carriers. The cellular radio chips inside each phone, soldered to the logic board, are only going to support a predetermined number of bands/frequencies. Add in the fact that each ROM is crafted to work only a specific model of phone as each phone model has its own unique hardware configuration. Each ROM only contains the necessary software, drivers, and firmware to correspond with only each model. By flashing a Korean ROM onto your Canadian phone, that most likely created a situation where the cellular radio firmware within the ROM only matched up with cellular radio chip because there is some overlap in bands but at a secondary or tertiary level. Your phone service worked for several months but stopped after some backend change Telus did to its cellular network coverage. If you look at the bands/frequencies Telus uses:
https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/lg-v35-thinq
versus the bands/frequencies South Korean carriers use:
https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/KR/lg-v35-thinq
you'll see that the primary bands don't match but most likely you were able to get good usage for all those months using B5.
Just speculating on all this but carriers do often tweak their own cellular networks on a regular basis so maybe this does apply, maybe not.

Nemesis-X

Jun 7, 2021
Visit site
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Thanks Belodion, of all the things, that was it. I can now make calls. Wow, I would have never known that.

And thank you to everyone else for trying to assist. Nice to have a good ending to a very odd problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is really weird. I wonder if it's Google Assistant trying to interface with the Phone app for spam blocking?

Meanwhile, send feedback to Google about this.