My S6 was factory reset and I want to recover the photos but nothing was backed up

DWigston

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Let my Brother in law borrow my gf old S6 as a temporary phone and he factory reset it afterwards and lost all her photos of her Dog that she recently Lost, is there any way possible to recover these photos, suggestions would be greatly appreciated and cost doesnt bother me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, that will be difficult, if not impossible. To recover deleted files on Internal Storage, the phone would have to be rooted (which in itself will overwrite some data): [Guide] Recovering Deleted Files - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. The fact that the phone was factory reset, rather than just the files being accidentally deleted, will make it even less likely to be successful.

Are you certain the photos weren't backed up to Google Photos or her Samsung account?

delgriffith

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I found this thread and not the answer I wanted to hear. My phone just up and decided to factory reset on it's own one night and the next morning all my data was gone. I never imagined they would do this, very furious about it. I do have experience rooting phones and I'm not afraid to do it to this phone to get back my photos and texts. Does anyone know if this phone does File Based Encryption? My understanding is if the photos and texts are stored with this, it's going to be really hard to get them back - like NSA / FBI hard or something. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on whether to try to get my data back or to give up on it.

Thanks,
Del

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I found this thread and not the answer I wanted to hear. My phone just up and decided to factory reset on it's own one night and the next morning all my data was gone. I never imagined they would do this, very furious about it. I do have experience rooting phones and I'm not afraid to do it to this phone to get back my photos and texts. Does anyone know if this phone does File Based Encryption? My understanding is if the photos and texts are stored with this, it's going to be really hard to get them back - like NSA / FBI hard or something. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on whether to try to get my data back or to give up on it.

Thanks,
Del
Hello , thats why i tell people to back up there device in multiple places especially important data that you dont want deleted by accident. You have google drive/photos , Samsung account , smart switch pc , drop box , sd card , cloud services ..

If you try to root your going wipe the device a 2nd time , if anything ask at XDA Forum see if anyone can come up with anything but my experience so far in this happening to people is none came back to say they got their data back successfully.