Re: N7 SLOWER After 4.3 Download

I did the 4.3 update yesterday and my N7 is now unuseably slow :-(
Seq Rd 29.2 MB/s
Seq wr 0.38 MB/s
Rnd Rd 6.94 MB/s
Rnd wr 0.05 MB/s
Browser 2233 ms
Market 1477 ms

As you can see the writing speed is destroyed. Chrome and G+ are the worst offenders for lack of usability - both completely useless. I have run Forever Gone and rebooted a few times. I have 1.6GB free. I am gutted about this... any suggestions? :-(

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

As you can see the writing speed is destroyed. Chrome and G+ are the worst offenders for lack of usability - both completely useless. I have run Forever Gone and rebooted a few times. I have 1.6GB free. I am gutted about this... any suggestions? :-(

Mine was similar. Do what I did. let it sit for 12+ hours with screen off & check. See above..

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

yeah. try to sell it. that's my goal.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
My 2012 Nexus 7 8GB (2.1GB free) is like a whole new tablet with 4.3.
Not anywhere as fast as the 2013 version, but remarkably improved from 4.2 - which was frustratingly slow. Now I'm almost (almost) questioning the need to upgrade. But a 32GB model is on it's way nonetheless.

fig_wright

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
After leaving the Nexus 7 on for a day, usability has improved slightly. I can now get by, although the Androbench results are still utterly shocking. Still very disappointed. I would advise anyone who is happy with performance under 4.2 to NOT do the upgrade to 4.3.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is horrible now. Have left it alone for hours several times since the update. Chrome is no longer usable. I have 3 GB free on a 16GB N7 so there's plenty of volume open. I don't know what to do.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Was it charged when you left it alone? I read that the fstrim only runs when it is idle and the charge is over 70% (or 80% according to a different source).

Mine was horrible immediately after the update, but I left it on charge overnight and in the morning it was as good as or better than before the update

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to see fstrim show up in my logs (using "adb logcat -d | grep -i fstrim") though I've thought I've met the criteria for it running many times over. From an article on it:

The Android framework will send out a ?start idle maintenance window? event that the MountService listens for, and then invokes vold to fstrim filesystems when a few conditions have been met ? the device hasn?t been touched for over an hour, no idle maintenance window event has been sent in 24 hours, and the device is either off-charger with 80% battery or on-charger with 30% battery. The goal is to have fstrim run roughly once every 24 hours if you?re in the habit of plugging the device in to charge every night.

edit: add quote source -- AnandTech | Android 4.3 Update Brings TRIM to All Nexus Devices

edit 2: lo and behold - this AM I saw fstrim for the first time --

c:\Android2>adb logcat -d | grep -i fstrim
I/fstrim ( 117): Starting fstrim work...
I/fstrim ( 117): Invoking FITRIM ioctl on /cache
I/fstrim ( 117): Trimmed 446615552 bytes on /cache
I/fstrim ( 117): Invoking FITRIM ioctl on /data
I/fstrim ( 117): Trimmed 1405566976 bytes on /data
I/fstrim ( 117): Finished fstrim work.

Last edited:

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Was it charged when you left it alone? I read that the fstrim only runs when it is idle and the charge is over 70% (or 80% according to a different source).

Mine was horrible immediately after the update, but I left it on charge overnight and in the morning it was as good as or better than before the update

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

It was at 100% every time I let it idle away.

I've found a different solution though. I put the N7 into safe mode (hit the power switch and then tap and hold hold the power off button ) and found that the tablet was back to its normal fast speed. I uninstalled the recent updates to Chrome and unsubscribed to all of my Currents and Pulse feeds and rebooted back to regular mode. My N7 is now running smoothly again, even after I got it out of safe mode.

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
It was at 100% every time I let it idle away.

I've found a different solution though. I put the N7 into safe mode (hit the power switch and then tap and hold hold the power off button ) and found that the tablet was back to its normal fast speed. I uninstalled the recent updates to Chrome and unsubscribed to all of my Currents and Pulse feeds and rebooted back to regular mode. My N7 is now running smoothly again, even after I got it out of safe mode.

What version of Chrome did you end up with?
As I mentioned on page 1, all seemed snappy but Chrome.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of late to the party here. I've not done anything about the slowing down of my N7 1st gen. I saw some articles saying it was happening and the culprit was memory filling up. I usually just use it for a few hours and then turn it off. Rarely if ever do I leave it turned on when not in use. I also have a Nexus 5 phone which is always on and charge it over night. I assume since I have not noticed any real slowness in the N5 that fstrim has been working as intended on it. I'll have to leave the N7 on more to get and keep better performance.

Thanks all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear