Need a new phone: Moto Z Play / Honor 8 or other 400 euros max

Aki78

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I am currently using an iPhone 5c but I would like to get a new phone since Apple is going to ditch 32-bit devices and also the battery on this device has become atrocious (I have to charge it 2-3 times a day... and I am not a heavy user at all).
Since iPhones are way too expensive for me (I live in Europe and they are much more expensive here), I am thinking of switching to android. I am getting bored of iOS and android seems quite a fun OS. My main requirements for a phone are:
- Security updates (at least within 3 months of official release, that's why I like iOS because they update even old devices quickly)
- Good camera
- Good battery life (at least a full day of use and a little bit more)
- Ability to install custom roms to increase device lifespan
- 400 euros or less

After searching around, I have found two devices that fit my needs: the Honor 8 and Moto Z Play. However I cannot decide which one to buy.
On amazon Europe, the Honor 8 is at 344 euros while the Moto z play is at 355 euros.

I have also looked at Oneplus but they stop selling the 3 and only the 3T which is over budget for me.

Which one would you recommend? Do you have other suggestions than these phones?

Thanks!!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had both of these phones and if I had to go back and choose one I would pick the moto z play. But are great mid range phones. I would say that the honor 8 has a better camera, but the z play camera isn't terrible. I got some pretty decent pictures out of it. But the z play has insane battery life and its close to stock and performed so smoothly. I still think about that phone and I had it months ago. Good luck in your search!

Aki78

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
ok thanks. How's the battery on the honor 8? Do you know if it's possible to install roms like lineageos?
I feel like the smaller display and better camera are better for me

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
My main requirements for a phone are:

Security updates
(at least within 3 months of official release, that's why I like iOS because they update even old devices quickly)

- 400 euros or less

Do you have other suggestions than these phones?

Thanks!!

If security is important to you I would recommend the Blackberry DTEK50 (Android). Security patches normally arrive 1 week after release and the devices are supported for more than 2 years. The battery life isn't great though but definitely doesn't require 2-3 charges per day. the camera is OK, nothing to write home about 😃

If I had to choose between your other 2 options, I would DEFINITELY pick up the Moto Z Play. The battery life and performance is great. I can't comment on the security patches but the camera is also pretty decent with 4k video recording :)

This looks like the best option.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I may be a little biased here because I own the Honor 8; but it is a great value for the money. The dual cameras make excellent shots (my boyfriend, who has an iPhone SE that takes great pictures, has told me that he likes the quality of my photos; and coming from an iPhone user that loves camera quality, that means a lot!); and the battery life is great. After the latest update it's still a pretty good battery. The phone is very stylish with all the different colours you can get, and the 5.2" size is great to hold in the hand.

The Moto Z Play is also a great option. I have a friend who owns one who is really into gaming and media and they really enjoy it. I think the battery life is pretty good, and his pictures seem to be good too!

Let us know what your decision is! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12