need basic info

den29

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I am a pc user used to Microsoft operating systems. Recently I bought a smart phone; got talked into an Apple Iphone 3gs. After using it for four months I can say I really like the hardware but I really don't like Apple. I resent the arrogance of their "you don't need to know" response when I ask questions like

How do I tell what's running?
How much CPU time is it taking?
What is the file structure? Where are they and how big are they? Can I drag and drop?
How do I know when a process gets hung up? Can I terminate it then?

I am thinking of getting a Samsung GT10.1. Can anyone tell me if there are apps for Android that let me get answers to the above question?

Another question I have is if I get the WiFi only version can I still use it as a GPS, i.e. are there built in maps?

Thanks in advance.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
The simple answer is yes. Apps like "watch dog" monitor the CPU and apps usage. A file manager like "astro" can help with your file management.

You can browse the Android market directly from your computer to see what they do and what they look like

sent from my OG EVO

anon(368897)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll chime in on your GPS question, since tkemack handled the rest!

Yes, GPS works on a wifi device. Maps, weather, it's all good.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

anon(368897)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Aaand I just realized I read too fast and did not understand what you were asking...

With wifi off the gps locator works, obvs, but I have not explored apps that download maps to the device for quick retrieval. So, yeah, I'm kind of useless on this sorry!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

davemex#AC

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Windows, I had very similar questions about Android.

Android actually does a really good job of suspending applications when they're not pulled up to the front but you can see what is running without even needing a third party app by going into the system settings and clicking on Applications > Running Processes. From there you can stop background tasks as well. Also found in Applications is a great battery analyzer that tells you which of the Tab's programs/functions used what % of the battery. This is great for troubleshooting.

The best way to explain the file structure is that it is a basic linux structure with "/" being the root folder and all other folders forking out from there. There are several system folders (like "etc", "bin", "usr") but the bulk of the storage that you'll be using for media, apps, etc is mounted somewhere like /mnt/sdcard I believe. Within that folder you'll have default folders for documents, downloads, music, video, etc. Anything installed will probably go here too.

Hope this adds a little more detail for you!

Reactions: den29

deezy22

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The other day I tested out the whole GPS feature....I started my gps on my Tab while in my driveway and then started driving...it worked for at least 2 miles from my house then I turned it off because I had my Garmin going too and having two voices going at once was annoying ;-)

So in conclusion, there are maps...I have had that happen to me on my phone too (EVO) where I went on a trip and when I went to an area where I had no data signal and was using GPS it still worked, the only thing is that when I would turn it off and then try to connect to Google Maps it would not let me...leading me to believe that maybe you have to start it on WiFi? I have yet to test that out.

den29

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The other day I tested out the whole GPS feature....I started my gps on my Tab while in my driveway and then started driving...it worked for at least 2 miles from my house then I turned it off because I had my Garmin going too and having two voices going at once was annoying ;-)

So in conclusion, there are maps...I have had that happen to me on my phone too (EVO) where I went on a trip and when I went to an area where I had no data signal and was using GPS it still worked, the only thing is that when I would turn it off and then try to connect to Google Maps it would not let me...leading me to believe that maybe you have to start it on WiFi? I have yet to test that out.
Thanks, that's very encouraging. My problem with the Garmin nuvi 200 is that it is so small that I get no sense of the big picture. When you zoom out you loose the detail. I am hoping that with a BIG screen I will be able to see that even if I am out of WiFi range.

den29

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Windows, I had very similar questions about Android.

Android actually does a really good job of suspending applications when they're not pulled up to the front but you can see what is running without even needing a third party app by going into the system settings and clicking on Applications > Running Processes. From there you can stop background tasks as well. Also found in Applications is a great battery analyzer that tells you which of the Tab's programs/functions used what % of the battery. This is great for troubleshooting.

The best way to explain the file structure is that it is a basic linux structure with "/" being the root folder and all other folders forking out from there. There are several system folders (like "etc", "bin", "usr") but the bulk of the storage that you'll be using for media, apps, etc is mounted somewhere like /mnt/sdcard I believe. Within that folder you'll have default folders for documents, downloads, music, video, etc. Anything installed will probably go here too.

Hope this adds a little more detail for you!
Thanks for the good info. I am now anxious to buy this tablet. I only need to decide whether 16GB is enough

den29

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
the only thing is that when I would turn it off and then try to connect to Google Maps it would not let me...leading me to believe that maybe you have to start it on WiFi? I have yet to test that out.

I got my GT10 a couple days ago and I tested the GPS function. I downloaded Google Maps first. Then I drove 20 miles from WiFi connectivity. It worked very well: followed my progress just like a dedicated GPS. It locked on faster than my Garmin Nuvi 200. I powered down for half an hour and when I started up again, it locked on again withing 2 minutes.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Gps/navigation works fine in car if you tether to your phone.

In real life, there is waayyy too much glare to be able to use it when the sun is shining.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What I'm saying is that it worked for me without tethering or any other internet connection

I'm pretty sure that it will spool a limited amount of mapping/route info but you have to stick to the original destination once you are away from wifi.

I do know that the gps receiver works well - independent of wifi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngdaddy3