Need clarification on how to use Google Pay

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks.

There seems to be quite a bit of conflicting info out there on how to use Google Pay after you've set it all up; cards transferred to watch, verified by bank, Google Pay installed and configured, NFC turned on, etc.

The conflicting info centers around actual useage at the POS.

I'm hoping to get definitive answers here.

Conflict #1... You have to open GP app, select card if you have multiple cards, then hold the watch to the terminal until it beeps/vibrates.

Or...

Just hold your watch at the terminal, and the GP app and default card on GP will simply invoke and be used.

Which is it?

Conflict #2... You have to unlock your phone every time you want to use the GP app.

Or...

You have to unlock your phone itself every time you put it back on after having taken it off, but won't have to unlock it again while it's on, even when using GP.

Question in addition...

I've read that sometimes you might be asked for your PIN at the POS. Does that mean use tbe keypad on the terminal as I would when using my actual card, or the unlock PIN on my watch?

Thank you for your help.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hope you get an answer to this! I've tried Google Pay on my watch and it never works. Samsung Pay works fine though.

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I open Google pay on the watch. Wait until prompted at the terminal and then use put the watch near the terminal. As long as my watch is unlocked and on my wrist, I haven't had to do anything else.

Edit: I guess the answer is #1

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Same here, open Google pay (I've set it to double tap the top button like many others) then it prompts you to turn on NFC if you haven't already, then place it over the payment machine.

I must admit I forgot to open the Google Pay app the first time I tried it ;)

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I use google pay on my watch4 all the time. Your watch must be unlocked once while wearing it but once unlocked it will stay that way until you take it off. To use it, just open the app and unless you want to use a different card from the default, just hold the watch on the terminal until beeps or is approved. Nothing hard about it.

I have it set up where I just slide up to the apps and it is the very top one.