need help with finding the right carrier??

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok long story short, I bought a Sprint HTC One phone on ebay to use with Ting (a newish cell provider?), but it turns out they don't support the HTC Ones not purchased from Ting. I do not want to go back to Sprint because I'm trying to switch to a more affordable cell phone service provider, so can someone tell me or suggest some good carriers with affordable plans? I'm trying to pay less than $50 a month... is that possible? I hardly talk on my phone so I don't need a lot of minutes, I can probably do with about 1000-1500 texts a month, and typically use less than 100MB of data every month. I know I can get the phone unlocked or whatever, but if I try to use it on a different carrier, will I get crappier speeds?

Thanks.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use your Sprint One, your pretty much limited to Virgin, Boost, or Ting. In my area, Cricket can use Sprint phones but you have to have it flashed, but they aren't nation wide. If you are willing to sell your One and buy something else, go for T-Mobile or straight talk

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok long story short, I bought a Sprint HTC One phone on ebay to use with Ting (a newish cell provider?), but it turns out they don't support the HTC Ones not purchased from Ting. I do not want to go back to Sprint because I'm trying to switch to a more affordable cell phone service provider, so can someone tell me or suggest some good carriers with affordable plans? I'm trying to pay less than $50 a month... is that possible? I hardly talk on my phone so I don't need a lot of minutes, I can probably do with about 1000-1500 texts a month, and typically use less than 100MB of data every month. I know I can get the phone unlocked or whatever, but if I try to use it on a different carrier, will I get crappier speeds?

Thanks.

If you can put it on boost mobile somehow, there plans are what you are looking for. I believe for Android it starts at 55 a month but every 6 months of on time payments they drop your bill down by 5 dollars. The lowest they will go is 35 a month but long term that would be great for what you want.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks.

If you don't much talking go with tmobile prepaid $30 plan. It's only 100 mins a month but you get unlimited data (5gb of 4g) and unlimited texting. You can also try their $60 plan than gives you unlimited everything with 2.5gb 4g data. Of course that means you'll need to get a tmobile version of the phone to take full advantage of the network.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you don't much talking go with tmobile prepaid $30 plan. It's only 100 mins a month but you get unlimited data (5gb of 4g) and unlimited texting. You can also try their $60 plan than gives you unlimited everything with 2.5gb 4g data. Of course that means you'll need to get a tmobile version of the phone to take full advantage of the network.

T-Mobile is GSM, Sprint is CDMA. Not sure if the HTC One is a dual band radio that supports both networks. Probably has to be CDMA network only.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just from my perspective in Tampa. Sprint and there coverage is horrific. Tried watching a video on mobile coverage and it was UN watchable.
Granted, Sprint is cheaper, but it's not worth it. I'm seriously looking at Verizon. Of course, your results may vary.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile is GSM, Sprint is CDMA. Not sure if the HTC One is a dual band radio that supports both networks. Probably has to be CDMA network only.

This is why my post says they would need to get a tmobile version of the phone ;)

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I went through a lot of trouble to get this phone... granted its on ebay, but I would rather not have to deal with trying to get a GSM phone. I may try that if I get desperate but at the moment... whatever supports CDMA. I guess Boost?? And Ting does not yet have HTC One support for phones not ordered from their site. They say they are working on it... it's rather annoying and I wish the site was more clear about that, as this is the primary reason I ordered a Sprint HTC One.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I went through a lot of trouble to get this phone... granted its on ebay, but I would rather not have to deal with trying to get a GSM phone. I may try that if I get desperate but at the moment... whatever supports CDMA. I guess Boost?? And Ting does not yet have HTC One support for phones not ordered from their site. They say they are working on it... it's rather annoying and I wish the site was more clear about that, as this is the primary reason I ordered a Sprint HTC One.

Yeah o hear you. Next time it'll be a good idea to find these things out before you spend money. Whenever it comes to buying a phone for one carrier to use on another, ask a lot of questions. Good luck.