Need HELP with Nandroid Back-up...

ShiftyBob#WN

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've been rooted for a while now but want to delve into the darkside of custom ROM's (mainly CM7). Everybody says to make sure to to do a "Nandroid" back-up... I don't understand? Maybe I'm just not comprehending, or I'm just an idiot and can't find it via the search function, but I I can't figure out what to do! Is it an App I need to download? Any help, or direction to any links that would help will be greatly appreciated...

B

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid is a feature built into the recovery menu that basically copies all of your system partitions, and packages it into an .IMG file that can be restored if you mess your phone up. Once restored it will be in the exact same state it was in when you did the nandroid backup.

Btw, hit up some of the links in my signature. Joe's root and android dictionary could help you out :)

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone, somewhere needs to clarify that nowhere in any recovery I've seen is the word "Nandroid" used. Clockworkmod simply says "backup", I had to make multiple leaps of terminology before I figured it out myself the first time.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Someone, somewhere needs to clarify that nowhere in any recovery I've seen is the word "Nandroid" used. Clockworkmod simply says "backup", I had to make multiple leaps of terminology before I figured it out myself the first time.

If you look at amon ra in the choose backup/restore item section, you will diffidently see Nandroid backup & Nandroid restore plus other options.

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you look at amon ra in the choose backup/restore item section, you will diffidently see Nandroid backup & Nandroid restore plus other options.
Every guide here recommends using Rom Manager and thus Clockworkmod, so it's little wonder that the question is asked. Amon Ra may say Nandroid backup/restore, but most new users don't use that.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Every guide here recommends using Rom Manager and thus Clockworkmod, so it's little wonder that the question is asked. Amon Ra may say Nandroid backup/restore, but most new users don't use that.

Yes many people that are new do use clockworkmod as their recovery, but you said you've never seen in any recovery the word nandroid. I was just enlightening you about it being used in amon ra.

Because everyone does call it nandroid backup, clockworkmod should list the backup as that but that would be up the dev I suppose.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site