Need some advice and input about the Note 8

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

First, some background: I am one of the lucky people who have had their iPhone become totally unusable due to iOS 11 and the battery issue. My phone doesn’t even ring most of the time, it gets hot, crashes, etc. I’ve done all the updates and I’m over it. I can’t get an appointment here in Toronto to get a new battery until April. There’s like, close to no appointments at all in the city, even at small shops.

Fast-forward to last Sunday: I purchased a Samsung S7 Edge at the Samsung store. I paid outright, because I didn’t want used. (And we don’t get the same prices in Canada as you guys get in the US on Amazon).

However, I’m pretty annoyed because I dumped a LOT of cash on an older phone, and I use my phone to do a LOT of things. I’m worried that when Oreo comes out, this phone is going to be slow. I already lost battery life doing the Nougat update, and that really bugs me. I know the fast charging is a nice feature, though, so I’m not super worried over that.

The Note here is 1299, plus 1.13 sales tax. Puts me over 1400 bucks. With the protection plan I’m up to 1600. The S7 Edge was at least 600 cheaper, but again, I’m a bit fussed over whether it will be able to keep up with me after a year.

I like the Note’s pen, because I’m an author and I take a lot of notes, but it’s not something I can’t live without. I’m not super sold on the S8 or the S8+, because I’ve read they can be kind of janky. Obviously the extra ram helps. The one thing I like about the note is that the sides don’t seem to be AS curvy as the S7 Edge, and I’ve had a hell of a time getting any case to feel protective. It’s gorgeous and I do really like the phone, but it’s also a bit difficult to hold. Is the Note easier to grip? Coming from an iPhone 6+, I’m used to a bigger phone.

What do you guys think? Will the S7 be able to hang in a year? Is it stupid to drop so much on an older phone? (I haven’t found any other Android that I like better than the Samsungs, I find them to be the most feature rich and I enjoy them).

I have a long history of having phone issues, so I never buy used, or online. I just destroy phones and need a warranty. Guess I’m hard on them. Not physically, but I usually have problems with batteries, or software stuff.

Thanks for any insight.

Jen

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jen! I believe that the S7 edge will run fine on Oreo when the upgrade comes to it. But, since you aren't totally committed to the S pen, perhaps you should wait a couple of weeks for the S9 or S9+. You should be able to trader in the S7 edge for a lower price.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

First, some background: I am one of the lucky people who have had their iPhone become totally unusable due to iOS 11 and the battery issue. My phone doesn’t even ring most of the time, it gets hot, crashes, etc. I’ve done all the updates and I’m over it. I can’t get an appointment here in Toronto to get a new battery until April. There’s like, close to no appointments at all in the city, even at small shops.

Fast-forward to last Sunday: I purchased a Samsung S7 Edge at the Samsung store. I paid outright, because I didn’t want used. (And we don’t get the same prices in Canada as you guys get in the US on Amazon).

However, I’m pretty annoyed because I dumped a LOT of cash on an older phone, and I use my phone to do a LOT of things. I’m worried that when Oreo comes out, this phone is going to be slow. I already lost battery life doing the Nougat update, and that really bugs me. I know the fast charging is a nice feature, though, so I’m not super worried over that.

The Note here is 1299, plus 1.13 sales tax. Puts me over 1400 bucks. With the protection plan I’m up to 1600. The S7 Edge was at least 600 cheaper, but again, I’m a bit fussed over whether it will be able to keep up with me after a year.

I like the Note’s pen, because I’m an author and I take a lot of notes, but it’s not something I can’t live without. I’m not super sold on the S8 or the S8+, because I’ve read they can be kind of janky. Obviously the extra ram helps. The one thing I like about the note is that the sides don’t seem to be AS curvy as the S7 Edge, and I’ve had a hell of a time getting any case to feel protective. It’s gorgeous and I do really like the phone, but it’s also a bit difficult to hold. Is the Note easier to grip? Coming from an iPhone 6+, I’m used to a bigger phone.

What do you guys think? Will the S7 be able to hang in a year? Is it stupid to drop so much on an older phone? (I haven’t found any other Android that I like better than the Samsungs, I find them to be the most feature rich and I enjoy them).

I have a long history of having phone issues, so I never buy used, or online. I just destroy phones and need a warranty. Guess I’m hard on them. Not physically, but I usually have problems with batteries, or software stuff.

Thanks for any insight.

Jen
Just buy a Note8. You will never regret it!!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
You're S7 Edge will be fine running Oreo . The version of Oreo that Samsung puts on the S7 and S7 Edge will be optimized for those phones. Apple optimizes its OS for the latest hardware.

Also, like Glen says, you can always get the S9+ in a few weeks. I had the S8+ and I didn't notice any "janky-ness" with it. If, for now, you decide to stay with the S7E, you can jump to the Note 9 when it is released, this summer/fall.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
as an author I'm sure you would find the Note 8 a super useful tool.
yes it's expensive to buy outright, I know as I paid 983 euros for mine on pre-order (got a free dex station though)
just go and do it, you'll find a way to justify it quick enough once you start using it and that *ouch* hit on the wallet feeling dissappears

sanyka78

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Purchased my note 8 for $1100 + tax in Toronto from store. Not much but hey $200 saved covered tax and Otterbox defender case

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any insight.

Jen

Hi Jen - Based on what I left of your quote, I'd say get the Note! I have had a Note 4, two Note 5's (Verizon and AT&T) two Note 7s (for obvious reasons) and now the Note 8! Love them all! You are correct about the gentler curves of the screen - it is easier to hold also. I use the iBlason Unicorn Beetle Pro case on mine, by the way. I tried an S8+ before the Note 8 came out and did NOT like it at all. I use the pen for some sketching, note taking and quick electronic circuit design too. I think you'll be really happy with it...

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
@JenTDOT

The S7 is a great phone. Are you aware that Apple will replace your battery for 39.00CA +/-? That's pretty good unless your Apple device is a 5 or below, then in that case time to move on..

The Note8 is a fantastic device but it's not for everyone, especially if money is tight.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Which iPhone?

Can you still return S7E?

I have S8+ running 8.0 and Note 8 and both run fine.

Assume this isn't a first for jumping into Android?

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I love my note 8 and I am glad they didn't discontinue it. I've had EVERY note phone (and the 7 twice, lol) and I can say that the note 8 is what you want. I also have the S7 Edge (had to get it after the Note 7 debacle) and although it's a nice phone it holds nothing to the note 8.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my note 8 and I am glad they didn't discontinue it. I've had EVERY note phone (and the 7 twice, lol) and I can say that the note 8 is what you want. I also have the S7 Edge (had to get it after the Note 7 debacle) and although it's a nice phone it holds nothing to the note 8.
AMEN

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
@JenTDOT

The S7 is a great phone. Are you aware that Apple will replace your battery for 39.00CA +/-? That's pretty good unless your Apple device is a 5 or below, then in that case time to move on..

The Note8 is a fantastic device but it's not for everyone, especially if money is tight.

Yes, the problem is I can't get the battery replaced until April. There's pretty much no appointments right now at the apple stores. It's a zoo. And my iphone isn't ringing, so that's too long to wait. I will fix it in april, then it will be my backup phone.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue is the cost of my S7E for what I'm getting, I guess. I just paid 799 Canadian + tax and warranty protection for a phone from 2016. I mean, it's fine, but I keep thinking, damn, you know for a bit extra you can have a much newer phone that is likely to run well in two years. I'm not sure how the S7E will be in two. I don't know, I always second guess my phone purchases because I never get a phone without problems, it seems.
I *do* like the S7E, but I like the gentler curves on the Note 8. I'm quite torn. Deep down I think I want the Note, but not sure I want to justify the other 600 bucks for it. I just can't help but think the pen feature would be awesome for what I do.

Sorry for the rambling. :-D

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Have the S8+ and Note 8. First time I heard the S8+ had a reputation for becoming "janky". Runs flawlessly for me.

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you see yourself driving to the US anytime soon? Could buy it here for $950 (many times less than that) when you come by.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
My biggest issue is the cost of my S7E for what I'm getting, I guess. I just paid 799 Canadian + tax and warranty protection for a phone from 2016. I mean, it's fine, but I keep thinking, damn, you know for a bit extra you can have a much newer phone that is likely to run well in two years. I'm not sure how the S7E will be in two. I don't know, I always second guess my phone purchases because I never get a phone without problems, it seems.
I *do* like the S7E, but I like the gentler curves on the Note 8. I'm quite torn. Deep down I think I want the Note, but not sure I want to justify the other 600 bucks for it. I just can't help but think the pen feature would be awesome for what I do.

Sorry for the rambling. :-D
Maybe a cheaper stop gap phone right now. Take a look at the S9/S9+ in... 6 weeks? Two months?

Apple is selling refurbished iPhone 7's here in the States. Also 2016 era phone.

The Essential Phone US$499 has terrible problems with camera unfortunately.

The S7E dies have very thin slopping sides. The S8 less so, the Note's is barely any.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say the S8 had a reputation for being janky. Just that I've read that a few people say they've had some issues with stutters and freezes. My friend has an S8, and said that the Note 8 is smoother. That's all I meant. I'm sure the S8 is a fine phone. I just don't think it's the phone for me.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the problem is I can't get the battery replaced until April. There's pretty much no appointments right now at the apple stores. It's a zoo. And my iphone isn't ringing, so that's too long to wait. I will fix it in april, then it will be my backup phone.

Seriously? Battery replacement is done on the spot. That seems unusual.