Need some help with a new Pixel Fold on battery settings

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
I got a Pixel Fold a couple of weeks ago and could use some help to see if my device is operating properly in regard to some battery settings.

If I go to the battery section in settings, then enable "Use Battery Saver", that then enables a "Dark Mode" scheme in the settings, and elsewhere, and that seems logical, because the Dark Modes use less battery. When I enable that, the "Standard Battery Saver Profile" is enabled and a little battery saver icon (with a plus) is displayed in the upper right. As best as I can tell, that is correct.

When I go further, that is when I am unsure if things are correct. If I go to "Schedule and Reminders" below, then enable " Turn off at 90%" (Battery saver turns off when battery reaches 90%", things are in battery saver mode when below 90% and as above, the battery saver icon displays. The uncertainty comes in when the battery level goes above 90%. What I see then is that the upper right battery saver icon is still displayed and the settings menus and other areas of the phone are still showing a Dark Mode color scheme. What I was expecting to see at 90% and above was the battery saver icon to go off, and the Dark Mode schemes to revert to a normal light mode, but that did not happen.

Another thing that I learned will probably not happen (and this confused others it seems, through my Google searches) is that when the "Battery saver turns off when battery reaches 90%" is selected, it will NOT stop charging like Z Folds do at 80% when set to do that. Google Tech help was not much help and they seemed to indicate that charging could stop like that. So far, I think that is a Samsung option, not Google. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Danny

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The schedules and reminders settings is that it turns battery save mode off once you reach 90% not that it stops charging, so if you set battery save to turn on say 35% once it charges up to 90% it turns it off.

Probably setting alarms is the best way to slow charge, not sure if it will charge after that alarm time but you'll be charged and ready to go but need adaptive battery on for 14 days to learn charging habits. Possibly Android 15 might be some changes but not sure
5698907120afed5ee2defd5bd16ffabc.jpg
b67f68020aed614b2687b683dec1bf68.jpg

b27dc2cee9c6ec3573c2f372e53797e2.jpg

Reactions: FF22

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
The schedules and reminders settings is that it turns battery save mode off once you reach 90% not that it stops charging, so if you set battery save to turn on say 35% once it charges up to 90% it turns it off.

Probably setting alarms is the best way to slow charge, not sure if it will charge after that alarm time but you'll be charged and ready to go but need adaptive battery on for 14 days to learn charging habits. Possibly Android 15 might be some changes but not sure
5698907120afed5ee2defd5bd16ffabc.jpg
b67f68020aed614b2687b683dec1bf68.jpg

b27dc2cee9c6ec3573c2f372e53797e2.jpg
Thanks,
I got and figured that out about the 90% setting. Google tech help was the one trying to convince me that charging would stop at that point and I did not agree. With that out of the way, when I do have mine set for the 90% threshold, my phone charges to 100% (as it should), but the screen color schemes remain in the Dark Mode that they were in when the battery charge was below 90%, and the battery saver icon (with +) remains. Should that +style icon and the normal light color schemes return, looking like the phone did when battery saver was not turned on?

In short, what are you seeing if your phone is set up like this and charges past 90%? I hope this was all clear.

Danny

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks,
I got and figured that out about the 90% setting. Google tech help was the one trying to convince me that charging would stop at that point and I did not agree. With that out of the way, when I do have mine set for the 90% threshold, my phone charges to 100% (as it should), but the screen color schemes remain in the Dark Mode that they were in when the battery charge was below 90%, and the battery saver icon (with +) remains. Should that +style icon and the normal light color schemes return, looking like the phone did when battery saver was not turned on?

In short, what are you seeing if your phone is set up like this and charges past 90%? I hope this was all clear.

Danny
For the screen turning dark mode to light that would be under settings>display >that can be activated with schedule or when battery save kicks on

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
For the screen turning dark mode to light that would be under settings>display >that can be activated with schedule or when battery save kicks on
Thanks for the great help in getting this sorted out.

What about the battery saver icon not changing as charge passes 90%? Is it then normal that no change happens as I have seen, and then, if I did not modify the dark mode settins as you describe, would my screen staying in the dark mode as charge passes 90% be normal and expected?
Danny

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the great help in getting this sorted out.

What about the battery saver icon not changing as charge passes 90%? Is it then normal that no change happens as I have seen, and then, if I did not modify the dark mode settins as you describe, would my screen staying in the dark mode as charge passes 90% be normal and expected?
Danny
Welcome
That's a good question it should turn off that indicator for battery save once it passes 90% I'll have to test this on my pixel 8pro and update you unless someone else chimes in and confirms.
If you haven't modified Dark mode settings it should stay put , Dark all the time.

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
Welcome
That's a good question it should turn off that indicator for battery save once it passes 90% I'll have to test this on my pixel 8pro and update you unless someone else chimes in and confirms.
If you haven't modified Dark mode settings it should stay put , Dark all the time.
Thanks, that was a big help. I would really appreciate and look forward to hearing what you and anyone else observes in regard to that battery saver icon behavior.

Danny

Reactions: mustang7757

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It could be a bug in the programming. You could send feedback and send the screenshots along with it. Settings>tips and Support>(Scroll to the bottom) Send Feedback

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
It could be a bug in the programming. You could send feedback and send the screenshots along with it. Settings>tips and Support>(Scroll to the bottom) Send Feedback
Thanks for the help, both of you. After letting the phone charge up overnight, the settings started to get followed by the phone. Right now, over 90%, the battery saver indication is off, Dark Mode is off automatically, and even last night, I noticed Adaptive Charging working, and that is what I had set. It turned off at 100% charge after doing the slow charge up, not 90% charge, as Google tech help had insisted, which was contrary to what I was reading in the phone and on Google searches.

Danny

Reactions: Golfdriver97

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
Well, after using this for a while, it does not seem totally reliable, like today. I set battery saver to go on when it drops to 35%, which it did. I put it on charge, and then battery saver went after the low end set point and BEFORE the set 90%.

Danny

Last edited:

spaetzle

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
Well, after using this for a while, it does not seem totally reliable, like today. I set battery saver to go on when it drops to 35%, which it did. I put it on charge, and then battery saver went off BEFORE the set 90%.

Danny
Is it possible that "Turn on based on battery level" and "Turn off at 90%" don't work well together? Mine turns on at 35% and lower as I have it set, but it turns on somewhere before 90%, probably higher than 35%.

Danny

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mads788