New Gear S3 update

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I received a new update to my Gear S3 frontier this morning. It's an update that improves battery life and Bluetooth connection. Hopefully it doesn't break anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180404-093814.jpg
    Screenshot_20180404-093814.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_20180404-094513.jpg
    Screenshot_20180404-094513.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 260

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. Downloading now. I sure hope this fixes my bluetooth issue that cropped up after the last update.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you seeing any improvements for the battery yet?

I won't be able to answer that question yet because I updated my watch while I was at work so that drained the battery some. I started the day at 7:00 am with 100%. It's now 3:45 pm and I have 70% battery. Keep in mind that I do have everything on with this watch and it's after the update. I would be able to answer more definitively after a few days using it.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I noticing a drain of about 5% an hour. I installed this update right before I saw your post. I charged the watch up and tested it last night and as of this morning it seems like the drain I was seeing is fixed. I still want to give it more time myself, but my initial test are very positive!

billsterjito

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I should have a good gauge on how this update improves battery life. I have a pretty consistent daily drain.
Just updated, charges 100%. I will post back after my day is through.

billsterjito

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Well after 2 days running this update I can't see any difference in battery life. I will admit that I don't feel that I was having battery issues either way. Currently I take it off the charger at 6 am and put it back on at 11pm ish always 70% left.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
what Gear model to you have? settings are running to accomplish that? No always on display? Not an LTE model? Brightness set to what? Which watchface are you running? Thanks!

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It solved my battery drain issue. I was loosing 5% an hour. Now I have about 65 to 70% left also taking off at 6 am and putting back on at 10ish pm. That was about the same I got with my Apple Watch. I think I would get a little better with a Samsung Watch face, but really like the watch face I found. I have the Bluetooth only version. WiFi is auto, nfc on, heart rate set to check ever 10 mins, and sound with vibration turned on.

billsterjito

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
what Gear model to you have? settings are running to accomplish that? No always on display? Not an LTE model? Brightness set to what? Which watchface are you running? Thanks!

I have a S3 Frontier and do not use the AOD. Not an LTE. brightness is set at 6 which I find to be more than enough. I change through Watchmaker and Samsung faces on a regular basis with no battery life change. Right now i am using the LEOPARD 12h hour that was free in the Gear store last week.

crawfpm

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I use a Frontier BT with AOD. After update, I did not see any improvement. Did a factory reset and today is the first full day after reset. I normally would be at 25% - 35% by now but I am at 57% (but light notification day since no work emails and got to sleep in). So I think there is some improvement, will know more next week after normal work days.

smoke skull

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I Havre not noticed any difference in anything. Frontier with brightness 6. Before the Tizen 3 update it would do 4 days. Now just 2. I charge every 24 hours

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a notification that said an update was ready for download. When i clicked to proceed, it did nothing. Tried to manually push the update but it said i was using the latest software.

AT&T S3 Frontier... Can anyone else comment on this?

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I had a notification that said an update was ready for download. When i clicked to proceed, it did nothing. Tried to manually push the update but it said i was using the latest software.

AT&T S3 Frontier... Can anyone else comment on this?

Had it already updated in the background?

Mine shows CQL1 as the last 4 digits.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
im showing CQL1 as well. i didn't get any pop ups like the OP above that says you won't be able to use gear while downloading or anything. The only thing that happened was the gear app opened and that was it.

smoke skull

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
It took about 10 minutes to install on the watch. Its a big update. So far mine is no better and maybe even a bit worse.
CRC3 is the last digits on mine

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
updated over the weekend (frontier, BT version). first two days were very bad and now day 3 is same as before update, roughly. and, all of these are worse than before tizen 3 (although the UI is certainly nicer). Next few days will tell if it gets better than before they most recent update. Did not do a full factory reset but rather installed the update on top of the old os.