New "green battery" Note7 version, extremely slow charging!

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: New "green battery" Note7 version, extremely slow charging!

Been using the phone all day for the Mobile Hot Spot for my laptop. It just took 1 hour 5 min to charge from 32 to 100 while continuing to use the Hotspot.

This was only the 2nd charge. The first was right out of the box. I left the phone off and it took 1 hr 20 min to go from 50 to 100. So it seems to be settling in ok. Oh and minimal warmth during the whole time both times.

Peace. Alan
SS Galaxy Note 7 [MM 6.0.1] :p
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14926.1000.] :p

Chrisy8s

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
[and QUOTE=Toddman214;5435338]Hello,
I just picked up my third Note7, yesterday 9/20. Long story with the first two, but in short, I was sold the 1st and then the 2nd, both under the recall.

I got my new device yesterday morning with update immediately installed. Have charged twice with IBM charger only. It charges much slower than the old one. Much. Haven't noticed anything in the discharge though.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Put my phone on charger last night before going to bed and it was just fine. The update with the green icon self installed overnight. The screen was on and it woke me up when doing so. Now this morning it is at 74% and it will not charge. I plug the cable in to my 6p and it works just fine but the Note 7 will not recognize the charger. So frustrating.

Hello,
I just picked up my third Note7, yesterday 9/20. Long story with the first two, but in short, I was sold the 1st and then the 2nd, both under the recall.

So, I get this phone, and upon opening the box, the battery icon is the normal white color. The sales guy says "let's run this update", which then tells you that if your phone is a bad one, the update will warn you, but if it is a good phone, the update will turn the battery icon green. In fact, my battery icon IS now green.

So, I threw my new "fixed" Note 7 on the charger before bed last night (about 9pm) with about 35% factory charge on it. This morning at 5am, the battery was at 91% charge. As I type this, it is now down to 85% charge, as of 5:17am. Not sure whats going on with the extremely slow charge and fast discharge. Anyone else notice this on their new "green battery" version?

That does not sound good. Hopefully they get that issue fixed. The note 7 is turning into a disaster, hopefully the s8/note 8 do not have these types of issues.

jqwz

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I used a usb current/ voltage meter to monitor my phone when plugged in to my third party cables and chargers. Sometimes I see the expanding sunburst moving up from the bottom of the screen when I plug it in and then it draws 1 amp or more and charges it reasonably fast. Sometimes I do not see the sunburst and then it only draws 0.5 amps and charges very slowly or stays the same. It seemed as though if I plugged the cable into the phone very quickly then I got the faster result. If I plugged the cable into the phone slowly then I got the slower result. It was not totally reproducible and I did not attend a lot of time on it.
I did not test the original charger and cable but they seemed to charge well. Using a third party cable withthe Samsung charger does not always charge fast so it may be related to the cables. I tested with my car charger which has one quick charge and the regular ports and a couple five port usb chargers that did not have quick charging.
I have not investigated any more because i just connect the cable quickly and look for the sun burst at the bottom of the display. If I don't see it then I try again.
One possibility I realise is that my cables are usb c 3.0 and I read somewhere that the note 7 uses usb 3.1. I got some 3.1 cables and will try those.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So I think I figured out the issue. Last night I was using my Nexus 6P USB-C charger. It was charging fine and according to the phones battery usage graph had charged to 100% when this update installed on its own around 3am. I woke up at 5:30 am to find my phone at 79% and not charging while still connected to the charger. I unboxed my Note 7 charger and plugged it in and it seemed to charge fine. Was up to 100% before I got ready for leave for work.

As I'm typing this I connected my Note 7 to an HTC 10 charger I have at the office and it is charging fine. So now I'm completely confused all over again. Not going to worry about it though as long as it is charging properly. Apparently for some reason after the update my Note just doesn't like the 6P charger.

I know its hard to read all the post.

But I was at a At&t store talking to a Tech.

He said a lot of problems with the 1st note 7 was people using chargers bought at Gas stations or made for something else.
And they didn't control the Voltage.
He said try to always use Samsung chargers when you charge the phone.
They were made specificially for the Samsung Note.
And they control the voltage going into it.
You will get the best results.

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Got no problem with mine, still charged as fast as the one without the green icon. Got paranoid one morning because it was unusually getting hot, but discovered that google photos was backing up large gigs of videos. Never got hot since then.

RSH327

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I just got my Note 7 replacement phone .. wireless charging is NOT FAST (was with my original phone) ... when I left store phone at 2% .. 2.5 hours later at 59 % ... so ... changed to "wired charging" .. took half hr to go from 59% to 100%. So .. Samsung screwed the fast charging (especially wireless) ... not sure yet on battery drain will let ya know ... I'm so disappointed.. I will have to turn the phone back in...

XprincoX

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Note 7 replacement phone .. wireless charging is NOT FAST (was with my original phone) ... when I left store phone at 2% .. 2.5 hours later at 59 % ... so ... changed to "wired charging" .. took half hr to go from 59% to 100%. So .. Samsung screwed the fast charging (especially wireless) ... not sure yet on battery drain will let ya know ... I'm so disappointed.. I will have to turn the phone back in...

Try charging it a couple of times. I had the same issue when i got my replacement phone too. After about the 3 recharge it seemed to fix itself and went back to normal fast charging speeds. Maybe the OS is calibrating itself on the first few charges?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My husband & I returned to our Note 4s after we released our "bad" Note 7s to AT&T. Our Note 4s have always charged quickly. NOW though, both our Note 4s charge extremely slowly; in fact, last night and this morning my Note 4 seemed to get stuck on 91% & 87%----So we are wondering whether Samsung has sent out an update to all Note versions to decrease charging speeds . . .

My Note 5 is fast charging normally. No problems.

Momof9Blessings

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Mine has been pretty slow compared to 1st N7.... hopefully it will get faster by tomorrow.... We just bought a brand new Samsung Wireless Fast Charger when we got our 1st N7..... I have had the new N7 since Wed..... I would hate to have to turn it is.... but it is pretty slow charging and fast drain.... :(

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't noticed any difference in charging time. I have noticed a difference in battery life. It appears that I am getting better battery life than I did on my first Note 7.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been pretty slow compared to 1st N7.... hopefully it will get faster by tomorrow.... We just bought a brand new Samsung Wireless Fast Charger when we got our 1st N7..... I have had the new N7 since Wed..... I would hate to have to turn it is.... but it is pretty slow charging and fast drain.... :(
Take it back. Sounds like you got a bad one. No new Note7 should be slow charge / fast drain.

FRGus723

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I am having a similar issue in that when I am charging via USB-C cable but not connected to the "fast" charger but rather USB hub or PC or car it updates super slow if at all. When plugged into "Fast Charger" it updates same as it used to which is pretty quick. This has never been the issue with iPhone 6 or first Note 7 I received. Almost seems like internally if they know it is not the official charger then they switch to some sort of trickle charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koop