New LG G4 issues - freezing and slowness, is this common and are there fixes?

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
New LG G4 issues - freezing and slowness

Have had my (AT&T) LG G4 w/128g sandisk memory) for the last few weeks trying to get used to it. Coming from a GS4.

Before I return the phone, I was wondering if the problems are common and/or have fixes.

I called LG, they ONLY wanted to do a factory reset. Nothing else. Ah no. Took me weeks to get to this point. Not starting again! If I have to do this every few weeks..that would get old, fast!!

The phone will freeze solid a few times a day, for a couple minutes or so..Literally turns into an expensive Hershey Bar. When it comes back, it is slow. I can reboot the phone, and it is fine for a while longer...(after it executes the stored taps while it was frozen)

The phone is just slow. I turn the camera on, takes 5-10 seconds to come on, about 5 seconds to take another picture. Pictures are great, however.

Slacker radio (even in offline mode) freezes every few minutes (have to hit play again on the phone). Sometime the app just goes away and I have to relaunch it.

Music freezes regularly (app freezes or songs stop playing or app closes all together)

Waze freezes regularly

Gallery can take 10 seconds to open. Slow to go pic to pic...

When it freezes and you hit the screen a few times.. It remembers the taps and stores and executes them all at once in a frenzy

I have fewer apps than on my GS4. I selectively reduced then when migrating to the G4.

I am not a power user. 90% of what I use is Slacker and Waze. Time to time check Facebook and email.

I am taxing the phone less than my galaxy, but the phone, as it is now, is slower in all respects. The only thing superior, at this point, is the quality of the camera.

It is just behaving badly. This is my first LG, I am withholding judgement on the phone til I can get the bugs out..but got to keep an eye on the return date (90 days) so I can return it and revert back to the GS4 if I need to, since there is no other good phone out there that fits my needs at the moment (unless Samsung decides to put back a removable battery/memory chip)

Thanks!!

Paul

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: New LG G4 issues - freezing and slowness

Have had my (AT&T) LG G4 w/128g sandisk memory) for the last few weeks trying to get used to it. Coming from a GS4.

Before I return the phone, I was wondering if the problems are common and/or have fixes.

I called LG, they ONLY wanted to do a factory reset. Nothing else. Ah no. Took me weeks to get to this point. Not starting again! If I have to do this every few weeks..that would get old, fast!!

The phone will freeze solid a few times a day, for a couple minutes or so..Literally turns into an expensive Hershey Bar. When it comes back, it is slow. I can reboot the phone, and it is fine for a while longer...(after it executes the stored taps while it was frozen)

The phone is just slow. I turn the camera on, takes 5-10 seconds to come on, about 5 seconds to take another picture. Pictures are great, however.

Slacker radio (even in offline mode) freezes every few minutes (have to hit play again on the phone). Sometime the app just goes away and I have to relaunch it.

Music freezes regularly (app freezes or songs stop playing or app closes all together)

Waze freezes regularly

Gallery can take 10 seconds to open. Slow to go pic to pic...

When it freezes and you hit the screen a few times.. It remembers the taps and stores and executes them all at once in a frenzy

I have fewer apps than on my GS4. I selectively reduced then when migrating to the G4.

I am not a power user. 90% of what I use is Slacker and Waze. Time to time check Facebook and email.

I am taxing the phone less than my galaxy, but the phone, as it is now, is slower in all respects. The only thing superior, at this point, is the quality of the camera.

It is just behaving badly. This is my first LG, I am withholding judgement on the phone til I can get the bugs out..but got to keep an eye on the return date (90 days) so I can return it and revert back to the GS4 if I need to, since there is no other good phone out there that fits my needs at the moment (unless Samsung decides to put back a removable battery/memory chip)

Thanks!!

Paul

I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues, Paul. I know it has to be *very* frustrating. Good for you for pushing back on the default FDR "troubleshooting." Fight the power!

First of all, no, this isn't something that I have seen as a widespread or even occasional problem. I have personally not had this sort of problem at all.

My knee jerk response, and a good educated guess, is that something is syncing to the cloud in the background. Do you have a lot of media (pics, music, etc.) that an app may be saving for you in the background? Google or AT&T apps, perhaps?

I vaguely recall this as being an issue for some folks in the past. I *think* AT&T users in particular may have had issues with that carrier's cloud and/or account management app.

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

I am sure it is app related. i doubt the phone is bad, per-se.

Seems the only thing LG and AT+T want to do is a reset.

I do have several clouds - Google, flickr, facebook, microsoft... but all sync while on wifi (usually at home)

I don't run a lot of apps, but i do run power hungry apps like slacker and waze at the same time (which my Galaxy S4 never had an issue with)

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I tried a 'booster' app that got good reviews. just made things worse actually

dont know how to see what is running in the foreground to see what could be a culprit

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

AT+T had me reboot in safe mode to see if it will freeze. i doubt it will..as nothing i use is running!

Even in safe mode, system is taking 1/3 of the RAM. 100+m for just the play store... in safe mode!

The bloatware that cant be removed is crazy

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
there is an update to the software for the phone. going to try that.

No doubt the phone is a good phone. just surprised that it, potentially, doesnt like the mainstream and mature apps, or combination of, that I am using, or there is some memory management issue at play.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like you have a lemon or an issue that you created yourself somehow. Are you simply running the standard OS with no user modifications?

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like you have a lemon or an issue that you created yourself somehow. Are you simply running the standard OS with no user modifications?

Its a at+t phone that is still locked. Nothing funny has been done to the phone.

I am sure it is something , but no idea how to figure out what it is. I have fewer apps on this than my GS4. I cant kill the bloatware.

Maybe the phone has issue with the GPS running with Waze and bluetooth streaming Slacker. (which my gs4 handled just fine). This is usually when it freezes, but has frozen many other times, however.

I just did a software update that was available. Will give that a shot.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't think GPS and BT should be causing any issues at all. I run both together on a daily basis with zero problems.

Good luck getting to the root of your problem and/or getting a replacement.

Last edited:

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. There is no replacement.

Either it will be fixed or I will revert back to my GS4. I can't go through another phone change. its too painful

hopefully the software update will work. time will tell.

at least i have 90 days to try it out.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

Just to eliminate hardware problems, what happens if you unmount the microSD card?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

There is a debloater tool that will freeze bloatware without you having to root or modify the phone in any way. The link is at the bottom. I would also clear the app cache (settings/general/storage/cached data) which has been helpful for me and will not erase your profile.

V3.90 Debloater(Lets remove all that carrier… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Thanks for digging up the link, Allen. Paul, the Debloater allowes you to hide (essentiually diable) many of the bloatware apps you aren't able to disable via the Apps >>> All tab. Worth using for sure.

I still think something is using up a ton of your resources, making your GPS with BT the straws that break the camel's back. Could be a rogue app, bhut my money is still on an app that is constantly syncing to the cloud to backup.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

There is a debloater tool that will freeze bloatware without you having to root or modify the phone in any way. The link is at the bottom. I would also clear the app cache (settings/general/storage/cached data) which has been helpful for me and will not erase your profile.

V3.90 Debloater(Lets remove all that carrier… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Thanks for digging up the link, Allen.

Paul, the Debloater allows you to hide (essentially disable) many of the bloatware apps you aren't able to disable via the Apps >>> All tab. Worth using for sure.

I still think something is using up a ton of your resources, making your GPS with BT the straws that break the camel's back. Could be a rogue app, but my money is still on an app that is constantly syncing to the cloud to backup.

phantomracer

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for digging up the link, Allen. Paul, the Debloater allowes you to hide (essentiually diable) many of the bloatware apps you aren't able to disable via the Apps >>> All tab. Worth using for sure.

I still think something is using up a ton of your resources, making your GPS with BT the straws that break the camel's back. Could be a rogue app, bhut my money is still on an app that is constantly syncing to the cloud to backup.

Could be. tried as I could, I couldnt figure it out. There is less on the G4 than my S4, which handles it like a champ. AT+T couldnt figure it out.

I made a mistake, I didnt have 90 days to return, I had 14 because it was on the Next plan, yesterday was the last day to return it, so I returned it.

I am sure it could have been fixed, but with the return window closing, and no real upgrade over my G4 other than the camera, which was good, I saw no real reason to keep a $600 phone. I had higher expectations. So will keep my S4 til the S7 comes out , hopefully the battery/memory can be changed (not optimistic though) or the G5 may have the bugs I have worked out.

Thanks to everyone for their brainpower on this, i appreciate it

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I know you said you didn't want to factory reset but I think thats your only option at this point. A factory reset rules out software issues. If you STILL have the same issues after the reset.....then you absolutely have a faulty (hardware) device. Good luck!

STiK

May 9, 2013
Visit site

So... Factory reset wasn't even tried? Also.. Other than thinking too much ram was being used, did running in safe mode for a day do anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk