New Nexus 4 purchase: Anyone get a shipping notification or tracking number?

Derek712

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my Optimus G for a Lumia 920 on Saturday morning. I spent quite a bit of time using the Lumia 710 and was really looking forward to Windows Phone 8's improvements. So far, the improvements have been relatively minor. There are so many things I love about Windows Phone... it is an extremely polished UI but the underlying capabilities still feel unfinished. My number one gripe is the lack of support for third party keyboards (Soft Input Panels or SIPs in Windows parlance). Other than that, I hate the fact that I can't set different notification sounds for different email accounts. This means I have to actually take the phone out of my pocket in order to determine which account received new emails when it chimes. It's also irritating that I can't add custom notification sounds. You can add custom ringtones but those can only be used for incoming phone calls. The alert sounds for email, SMS, calendar, etc. are limited to whatever is preinstalled.

I'll keep the phone, though... even when (if?) the N4 arrives since the Lumia's camera is better and it has LTE which will be useful when I need to do tethering.

The camera is the biggest deal to me. I was so hoping to test them side by side for that alone... If the N4 camera is at least better than the GNex, I would settle for it until WP8 gets more apps. The Lumia 920 camera is awesome though. I got a couple soft focus shots, but that's easily fixed through software updates. The low light shots are incredible though!

ecpolo521

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
After the whole lottery fiasco and STEP program for Burning Man tickets this year, this is a piece of cake.

Waiting at most 3 weeks as opposed to months is ok for me.

rodneyw1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I ordered an N4 and an N7 in two different orders. N4 is in limbo. Both charges immediately went to my Chase credit card as pending. On Saturday evening I got an email saying my N7 had shipped. Through tracking number I found that it was shipped on Friday. Yesterday both pending charges on my Chase chard disappeared. Just checked tracking and my N7 is "out for delivery" but there are no pending or actual charges on my Chase card yet. Just found that odd.

Cloudscout#WN

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
-Lack of apps. They are about 4 months away in my opinion. I know they will come, but I can't go that long without some key apps. Pandora, Fantasy Football, my bank, google drive, dropbox, google maps, Chrome, are a few.
-No notification center was a big bummer as well. I read somewhere they ran out of time and it is in development.
-The search button drove me insane because I accidentally hit it and not once found a use for it.
-The back button was also irritating because it wasn't dynamic(wrong word maybe?). Specifically in IE, if I navigated through webpages, went to another app, and then returned to IE - the back button would not go back to the previous webpage, but would take you to the previous app. There literally is no way to go back a webpage, after closing and reopening IE, unless you go through history. There is also no forward button. Soem webpages just looked bizarre too. Google.com, for example, looks like the google.com that loaded up for Windows phone 5. Very few options and the logo was pixelated like crazy. I can't explain it except that IE for WP8 is just bad.
-I also had some nasty lockups, but that's to be expected for early adopters

It truly is a beautiful phone though. I enjoyed how the Win 8 apps looked. They are all very consistent looking and seemed very snappy. The amount of settings is a happy medium between Apple and Android. I think once the OS matures, it will be a heavy contender. Coming from a dumb phone, it's a great change. Coming from Apple, it's a decent change. Coming from Android, you lose some freedom but there are so many pros and cons, that you just have to weigh them yourself.

I have to pay a $35 restocking fee for returning, but I'm happy I at least tried it for a week. I will likely go back once things start developing more.

The lack of apps bugs me as well... especially since some of the apps I want WERE available for WP7 but haven't been updated to work with WP8 yet like Photosynth and TuneIn Radio. I'd really like to have Dropbox as well. Google Maps isn't a big deal to me... I think the Nokia maps application is just as good for the most part and better in some ways like the fact that you can download the entire North America map database for offline use.

I wish Google would release a real Gmail client for Windows Phone. Syncing my Gmail and Google Apps accounts via ActiveSync sucks because I can't label or archive emails from my phone.

rwest278

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Seems pretty evident they have no clue what they are talking about. Notice how they seem to tell everyone what they want to hear? In my field if I don't have an answer I find the answer, google CSR just makes answers up.
Well, to be fair, it's not exactly like they can just Google the answers. Oh... wait...

Bret Subsits

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
from what i have been told and i have called them a million times is that they do have phones but there system is so jacked up with the first orders and the people who ordered a bunch of phones then canceled orders that they are trying to figure out which ones to ship and which ones not to ship. but then again who knows people ITS GOOGLE WERE TALKING ABOUT HERE. THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING!!!

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I just checked my dad's account and he got the backorder email. However, his date for the order shows the 19th? What is the consensus on the meaning of this? Does it mean that they will try to ship his again this week? Or does it mean that all of us with the 19th are truly backordered and screwed?

xeno3d

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The lack of apps bugs me as well... especially since some of the apps I want WERE available for WP7 but haven't been updated to work with WP8 yet like Photosynth and TuneIn Radio. I'd really like to have Dropbox as well. Google Maps isn't a big deal to me... I think the Nokia maps application is just as good for the most part and better in some ways like the fact that you can download the entire North America map database for offline use.

I wish Google would release a real Gmail client for Windows Phone. Syncing my Gmail and Google Apps accounts via ActiveSync sucks because I can't label or archive emails from my phone.

This bugs me too.... but looking at the marketplace it seems they have MOST of what I use on a regular basis...

I'm sure its going to be a short time before the Marketplace expands

But then again, I've gotten pretty comfortable with having the google eco system in my pocket

I'm torn... don;t know what to do at this point.

Maybe give them until Wednesday of this week and then jump if I haven't heard anything

I have no phone right now.. nadda

Last edited:

raysgrumpy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I ordered mine from T-Mobile on Thursday about noon. When I called, the csr told me that regular customer service couldn't order it. I told her that I heard of people having success through retentions and she checked and said I could order it, but it was back ordered. I got an email Friday morning that it was back ordered with no estimated shipping date. The same thing happened when I ordered my One S and it shipped the next day. Lo and behold, my phone shipped less than 2 hours after I got the back ordered email. It will be here tomorrow (Tues the 20th.) T-Mobile's quasi incompetence when it comes to ordering and shipping (seems like the warehouse and csr's have no idea what the other is doing) gave me hope and came through again haha. On a side note, this Google Play debacle sounds exactly like what happened when I ordered 2 HP Touchpads during the firesale!!!!! Reading all the comments is bringing back a flood of bad memories

kevhonda

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Called CSR if anything just to keep those clueless turds busy, the lady was actually pretty upfront and bascially said "look you guys need to get a life stop worrying about a damn phone" j/k what she really said was "Obviously we sold more than what we had in stock" so I asked "I'm just curious if I'll have to wait 3 weeks I haven't got the backorder email" she replied "If you haven't got that email, you should be good [then she checks] looks like there was movement on your account today [b/c my wallet date changed to Nov. 19th] so I can forsure tell you that your phone will ship this week."

What google should have done was take the money they are paying the support for google play and invest that in more devices this would solve 80% of their phone calls if not more.

kevhonda

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just checked my dad's account and he got the backorder email. However, his date for the order shows the 19th? What is the consensus on the meaning of this? Does it mean that they will try to ship his again this week? Or does it mean that all of us with the 19th are truly backordered and screwed?

All that the wallet date changing to the 19th means is they modified something on your account that could be something as simple as looking at the account so they can send a backorder email or it could mean they are modfying it b/c its about to ship. IMO the date in wallet simply means the account was opened/edited/etc nothing more could mean good or bad news