New owner some questions re Yahoo Mail Touchwhiz and Notifications sound

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So have been using for a day and so far so good, am enjoying this tablet. Had a Nexus 7 (2012) but it started to slow down terribly. Tried a new Nexus 9 and was not satisfied with what it gave for the cost and this tablet for $250. seems a buy.

Was concerned initially reading reviews that people claimed touchwiz was a problem. First off what is it, as I have not seen any lag. Is touchwiz the swipe from right side that pops up some apps which I believe are for multiple windows? I don't use these and wonder if the swipe from side can be disabled?

Have noticed my Yahoo mail app does not seem to want to work correctly. Despite changing in the settings I get a list of emails down the left side and on the right side I always have an email open. My phone and N7 with the same app don't show the message until I click on it. Tried the latest app and copied my app from my Nexus same problem on both. Anyone use yahoo mail and have it work correctly. I notice the play store app also doesn't render the same on this tablet as on my N7 which shows the apps in a list using the full screen whereas on the tab I get a column down the left side with the first app described on the right side..N7 android version is 4.4.4 and the tab shows vs.4.4.2

Notification sound is so frustrating I turned it off. Even with button at is far left spot the sound level is to high and can be irritating and heard all over the house. Is this normal ( I quickly ditched the whistle sound for tejat)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
TouchWiz is the name of the whole Samsung interface. It encompasses all of the changes and modifications Samsung made with the basic Android interface. On my wife's Tab Pro 8.4, I notice the lag mostly when looking at the My Magazine pages when swiping left--the pages don't swipe that smoothly.

The Yahoo Mail app layout will depend on the screen size. So if you have a tablet, it will use the format you describe, with the email list on the left and the open email on the right. This is how Gmail works as well. I would have thought that it would be split screen on the Nexus 7 as well, but maybe it changes it for screens >7" in size.

You can always change the notification tone to something more innocuous. You should also be able to adjust your notification volume separately from the other media sounds in ​Settings>Sound>Volumes.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding, I notice if I go to settings/general/default app I see under set defaults touchwiz home is greyed out and default appears to be Chrome. I wonder if this has any bearing on my tablet use. Not sure how the tablet effects the way Yahoo works as I recently bought and subsequently returned a nexus 9 and yahoo mail worked the same on that as it did on my N7 maybe 5.0 adjusts.
The volume is not a huge problem and I have placed notifications at the lowest it will go, I will have to experiment from Zedge to find a lower volume sound.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I notice if I go to settings/general/default app I see under set defaults touchwiz home is greyed out and default appears to be Chrome.

I don't think that has any bearing on it. TouchWiz is greyed out because you don't have any other launchers installed, so TouchWiz has to be the default launcher. It sounds like Chrome is set as your default browser--you can change it to the Samsung browser if you want. But those defaults only designate which app is the default app for various functions. It doesn't have anything to do with the screen layout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45