NEW Permissions

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone knows why some apps need to find "other accounts on the device" or "prevent tablet from sleeping" ?

Sent from planet earth

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I suppose find other accounts is if you want to share the app with someone else who uses the tablet and you have multi-users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Why so many apps when updating want a new permission to read Google service configuration?
What are they looking for?

Sent from planet earth

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
This is a response I got when I questioned why one app required so many new permissions:

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #390754 with the following response:

Hello,

Please review the following information about the permissions that the OfficeSuite requires:

- Read SMS or MMS.
The OfficeSuite uses SMS/MMS reading to open Office files (.doc, .xls) which are received as a MMS message.

* - Modify/delete SD card contents.
This permission is requested so that the OfficeSuite can read and save files from/to the SD card.

- Prevent phone from sleeping, reorder running applications, retrieve running applications.
1) Prevent phone from sleeping- the OfficeSuite requests this permission to keep the screen active. For example if you have started a Slideshow in powerpoint the screen will be lit during the slideshow.

2) Reorder running applications, retrieve running applications - these two permissions are requested in case you have opened a file though another browser and then try to open the same file with the OfficeSuite. The program then tell you that the file has already been opened and switches to the opened file.

- Read phone state and identity.
This is requested so the program can read the device IMEI for the registration. The registration is based on Device ID/IMEI.

- Full internet access.
This is requested so the program can have Internet access. For example, to open files from Google Docs.

- Manage the accounts list, use the authentication credentials of an account.
This is requested so the program can use the Google account(s) already entered in the device for access to Google Docs. This way the OfficeSuite will not require the user to enter the pass again.

- Automatically start at boot.
This permission is requested so the program can track the files on the phone and enable the file search,

- View Wi-Fi state.
Requires the MAC address for the program registration.

- Control vibrator.
In some cases the program can use vibrations for feedback to the user.

- Discover known accounts.
This permission is requested so the program can use the already active Google accounts for access to Google Docs.

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions.

Sent using my googlers glasses