new phone for gf

craiglol

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
My girlfriend is up for a new phone, I am not a techie at all she is up for android phone in sprint. The question is does she get the s7, the pixel, or just wait for a new phone. Her current phone is the s6 and she loves it. It works great, no real demand to upgrade except being eligible for a free one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A lot of it depends on your girlfriend's preferences. Does she really like Samsung's interface, and the features the include with the phone? Would she prefer to safe a lot of media on the phone (like photos, videos, music)? The S7 has an SD slot, so that's an advantage over the Pixel. Would she like her phone to get system and security updates from Google regularly and promptly? That would be a point in favor of the Pixel.

craiglol

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Excellent points. The interface of Samsung is not the highlight of her phone. Rather it is the quality of the hardware. Regarding space that is definitely a plus, but durability of the screen, top performance is a larger issue.

There is a split opinion for her regarding constant updates. There are certain applications that do not function with the latest update, but being closer to updates is a plus. Samsung does do constant updates that is a plus, obviously the pixel would be best in that, but unsure if the hardware top tier phone compares.

Or if there is a new one. For instance whenever the next samsung phone comes out they may have to push to have a top phone even more to compensate due to their battery issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't initially respond because I didn't feel that I had enough information to lean one way or the other. If it were for me, I'd go with the Pixel, for the following reasons:

1. Straight from Google, so prompt updates.
2. Phenomenal hardware, especially camera.
3. I don't require an SD slot, because I don't carry around dozens of GB of music, photos, or videos stored on my phone -- that's all in the cloud.
4. Minimal bloatware.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought my wife a Pixel. She switched from her iPhone 6. She likes it so far.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What decision did you make, OP? If I may add my two cents: if your girlfriend loved her S6, and also liked its hardware or how it felt in the hand, etc, then maybe she'd like the S7.