New Roadmap Leaked - Stratosphere 9/8

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. You have to hand it to Apple though. Work out an exclusive deal with one carrier, sell a metric-F-ton of phones, help said carrier add millions of subscribers, then make the other carriers bow down and kiss your boots.
All the while, said carrier ** cough ATT** doesn't extend their 3g coverage.

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple is the king of screwjobs.
A lot of people like how they stand their ground and stop the carriers from adding their crap but on the other hand they make a phone out of weak glass, insurance rates are through the roof on it.
The worst is the what apple does to the sales rep. The iPhone makes you a $40 profit on an upgrade. It costs the store so much money to buy the phone and they're not allowed to adjust the price one penny. Also apple has their own data plan. It makes no difference to the customer in terms of cost but it binds the sales rep and store. If a customer wants to give their iPhone to a family member that's being added as a new line or upgrade, the rep and store cannot make any money off of data because once an iPhone is activated you can never make money off the Apple data again.
Thank God that people rarely (if never) return iPhones.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Apple is the king of screwjobs.
A lot of people like how they stand their ground and stop the carriers from adding their crap but on the other hand they make a phone out of weak glass, insurance rates are through the roof on it.
The worst is the what apple does to the sales rep. The iPhone makes you a $40 profit on an upgrade. It costs the store so much money to buy the phone and they're not allowed to adjust the price one penny. Also apple has their own data plan. It makes no difference to the customer in terms of cost but it binds the sales rep and store. If a customer wants to give their iPhone to a family member that's being added as a new line or upgrade, the rep and store cannot make any money off of data because once an iPhone is activated you can never make money off the Apple data again.
Thank God that people rarely (if never) return iPhones.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE

so you're mad apple is getting most of the money and not the carriers?

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
You can hate on the iphone but they do have the hardware and software working pretty flawlessly on it. I think once android gets to that then it will no longer be a comparison.

People really underestimate this fact and I think this is the main place that the android phones fail. Integration between hardware and software is much more important then a lot of people realize. The biggest downfall in the android universe at the moment IMHO is the release of phones in quick succession. The android community cares a bit too much about the specs on paper and it leads to this constant release of phones that are only slightly better then the last. This gives the manufacturers no time to make sure that their software and hardwares are pared perfectly together. That is why you see so many software problems on a lot of the new android sets because they are rushed. If the android market as a whole took a step back and put a bit more thought and care into their phones instead of pushing them out the door they would have a better product. I feel like this is driven by something being labeled "old" or "outdated" before it even comes out. The bionic and SGSII are already being using in sentences with those words and they haven't even come out yet...

Until the android consumer realizes that their phone will actually be faster if they put a bit less pressure on the developers and allow them to optimize their software to their hardware, we will never see the seamless integration we see on iPhones. People don't need any of the ridiculously overpowered specs that are coming out in phones these days to make the phone blazing fast. I would take 4 month old hardware that was perfectly optimized with the software ANY day over the cutting edge. (as long as it has LTE :p)

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more Giraffe. I wish I didn't have to factor in how timely a carrier/manufacturer pumps out software updates to their phones....Just look at how much support the iphone 3g is still getting.

redraider133

Banned
Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more Giraffe. I wish I didn't have to factor in how timely a carrier/manufacturer pumps out software updates to their phones....Just look at how much support the iphone 3g is still getting.

Thats another area apple wins is updates across the board not waiting months for new updates.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
People really underestimate this fact and I think this is the main place that the android phones fail. Integration between hardware and software is much more important then a lot of people realize. The biggest downfall in the android universe at the moment IMHO is the release of phones in quick succession. The android community cares a bit too much about the specs on paper and it leads to this constant release of phones that are only slightly better then the last. This gives the manufacturers no time to make sure that their software and hardwares are pared perfectly together. That is why you see so many software problems on a lot of the new android sets because they are rushed. If the android market as a whole took a step back and put a bit more thought and care into their phones instead of pushing them out the door they would have a better product. I feel like this is driven by something being labeled "old" or "outdated" before it even comes out. The bionic and SGSII are already being using in sentences with those words and they haven't even come out yet...

Until the android consumer realizes that their phone will actually be faster if they put a bit less pressure on the developers and allow them to optimize their software to their hardware, we will never see the seamless integration we see on iPhones. People don't need any of the ridiculously overpowered specs that are coming out in phones these days to make the phone blazing fast. I would take 4 month old hardware that was perfectly optimized with the software ANY day over the cutting edge. (as long as it has LTE :p)

Exactly! I was just commenting on this earlier in another (or maybe this?) thread. The numerous processors are to blame for most of the issues. I know people like choice, but when you have so many CPUs out there, it makes it very difficult for developers to get their apps working across all of them.

The ideal scenario would be to have 2 that compete against each other to drive the market (i.e. Intel and AMD), but right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, we have 5? Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, NVidia, and Intel (trying to break in with their new Atom). I might have even missed a couple. Regardless, it's too many. It's causing similar issues to the version fragmentation that Google is just now addressing.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! I was just commenting on this earlier in another (or maybe this?) thread. The numerous processors are to blame for most of the issues. I know people like choice, but when you have so many CPUs out there, it makes it very difficult for developers to get their apps working across all of them.

The ideal scenario would be to have 2 that compete against each other to drive the market (i.e. Intel and AMD), but right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, we have 5? Qualcomm, Samsung, TI, NVidia, and Intel (trying to break in with their new Atom). I might have even missed a couple. Regardless, it's too many. It's causing similar issues to the version fragmentation that Google is just now addressing.

I completely agree. Sadly though I don't see this issue being solved until the technology advancement slows down a bit. Its moving at such a rapid rate that the software developers can't keep up. Eventually though, it will start to slow down and it will give manufacturers more time to pair their hardware and software together. Sadly that might not be any time soon though.

Even though it would kind of be against the entire android universe, I think Google needs to start putting restrictions on their operating system and how it can be used. I don't mean make it more closed from a development aspect, but they need to take a bit more charge of it. The reason why Apple is so successful, not counting their ad campaign which is obviously working very well, is because they do both the hardware and the software design internally. I think Google should do a full review of the processors that are out there and pick 1 or 2 for the following year that they think would be best for their phones. Maybe they shouldn't go as far as mandating that everyone uses those processors, but they should at least very strongly suggest that everyone uses them. This would give them a much better shot at optimizing their software. I think they kind of already do this, but they might want to take a bit stronger stance in this area. It would also make it easier on developers because they would know what to expect in every android phone that is coming out, regardless of carrier and manufacturer.

Sadly it would remove a bit of the choice and openness in the android community, but I think it would produce better phones in the end. It would still breed competition because everyone would be competing for the contract just like they do with Apple. It's not really Google's style though.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. Sadly though I don't see this issue being solved until the technology advancement slows down a bit. Its moving at such a rapid rate that the software developers can't keep up. Eventually though, it will start to slow down and it will give manufacturers more time to pair their hardware and software together. Sadly that might not be any time soon though.

Even though it would kind of be against the entire android universe, I think Google needs to start putting restrictions on their operating system and how it can be used. I don't mean make it more closed from a development aspect, but they need to take a bit more charge of it. The reason why Apple is so successful, not counting their ad campaign which is obviously working very well, is because they do both the hardware and the software design internally. I think Google should do a full review of the processors that are out there and pick 1 or 2 for the following year that they think would be best for their phones. Maybe they shouldn't go as far as mandating that everyone uses those processors, but they should at least very strongly suggest that everyone uses them. This would give them a much better shot at optimizing their software. I think they kind of already do this, but they might want to take a bit stronger stance in this area. It would also make it easier on developers because they would know what to expect in every android phone that is coming out, regardless of carrier and manufacturer.

Sadly it would remove a bit of the choice and openness in the android community, but I think it would produce better phones in the end. It would still breed competition because everyone would be competing for the contract just like they do with Apple. It's not really Google's style though.

I'm not sure why all of the processors make that much of a difference. Maybe I'm missing something or assuming something basic just isn't enforced. For instance, all of the processors should implement the same instruction set and architecture. That way, the software doesn't rely on the possible differences between the processors as they all would have the same interface. Now how the processors handle the instructions can be implemented differently, and that can be what separates them from a performance, battery life, etc. standpoint. If this isn't done (and it sounds like it's not), then Google should require it.

Jtav27

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Correct. And I agree that the marketing will be more towards the WebTop capabilities for the Bionic. But, that doesn't discount the fact that the two devices are quite similar, particularly when you look at them from the average consumer's perspective. And that's what I had an issue with in your post that stated the two devices were entirely different. Based on your post though, I have a feeling that you didn't mean it the way that it came across.

I have to say that I agree with both of you, wierd, i know. But hear me out. I believe that they COULD launch the same day. And although very similar specs, a lot of people will be thinking about the future and what not. Will they ever want a webtop?... possibly. But thinking like the tech guys, like most of us are, we do not have much desire to do any computing from the CPU of any phone that will be out anytime soon(with exception of phones that may be powered by khal-el or a similar chip). If we want to do things on a computer they are usually a bit more strain than a dual core Ghz cpu can handle. At least for me. But...the capability is there, like CK said, with the Bionic. Personally, I've actually been a bit peeved at Moto for not giving us more solid info earlier. With that said, similar specs and all, I'm still going to get whichever I think is better after getting both in my hands.

I also think that another reason they could launch the same day is the possibility that the Stratosphere launch has been on the roadmap for a while and Bionic WAS in fact hard scheduled for an earlier release date but due to problems had to delay it. VZW does not lose in this situation. Two amazing phones coming out, same day...for me it will be like going to an amusement park when I was a kid when I walk into the Verizon store.

Just my opinions, feel free to let me know what you think.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Jtav I agree with you. I think that its very possible that they could release both phones at the same time. Delaying the launch of one phone due to the problems of another phone only compounds their issues. It may not be the ideal situation but it is what it is at this point. This was unexpected and now both (moto and verizon) are forced to deal with it.

Delaying the launch sets them up for even more problems than they are already dealing with.

This whole post is an assumption based on the Stratosphere launching as the GS2 :)

Sent from my Droid

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm just not convinced the Stratosphere is a GS2. If the map is true (big if) then it shows the Stratosphere as THE only Samsung 4g device till the end of the year. We know for a fact that the slider is 4g due to photo leaks. I'm not sure, but hasn't The slider also passed the FCC? With all that evidence, simple deduction means that the slider is more imminent and can only be the Stratosphere and GS2 is either not 4g and launching as that 3G device on the 29th, or it isn't on the list. Not being on the list is a possibility as the iPhone isn't either.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm just not convinced the Stratosphere is a GS2. If the map is true (big if) then it shows the Stratosphere as THE only Samsung 4g device till the end of the year. We know for a fact that the slider is 4g due to photo leaks. I'm not sure, but hasn't The slider also passed the FCC? With all that evidence, simple deduction means that the slider is more imminent and can only be the Stratosphere and GS2 is either not 4g and launching as that 3G device on the 29th, or it isn't on the list. Not being on the list is a possibility as the iPhone isn't either.

But, there's nothing to say that the slider is not the GSII (or vice versa). Plus, the dates start on 9/1. It's plausible that the GSII and/or the slider can be released this month, and thus wouldn't be listed.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But, there's nothing to say that the slider is not the GSII (or vice versa). Plus, the dates start on 9/1. It's plausible that the GSII and/or the slider can be released this month, and thus wouldn't be listed.
I'm hoping it isn't listed and it isn't the slider. Slider is a no go for me. As for a release this month I doubt it. Previous experience shows we would have something for evidence by now.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it isn't listed and it isn't the slider. Slider is a no go for me. As for a release this month I doubt it. Previous experience shows we would have something for evidence by now.

Each passing day with no new news makes the outlook for an August release less and less plausible. But, there's still time. I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind a slider variant of the GSII as long as nothing else changes. Coming from a BlackBerry, I appreciate the physical keyboard and don't mind the added thickness.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
nothing from Samsung passed through the FCC (that we know of or have seen) and pics of that slider don't mean anything. The slider could be a development device that was scrapped, could be product that will launch (next month, next year), could be product that is in testing, product may never make it to market.

Thats the thing with the Stratopshere. There has not been one mention/leak/rumor of it anywhere. It didn't exist 4 days ago. Stratosphere may not even be the slider OR the GS2, it could be an entirely different handset. I'm not convinced it's the slider or the GS2 or any other device. I'm only guessing it's the GS2 because more things point to it being that than anything else. Only evidence we have of the GS2 dropping anywhere is the campaign with the Telescope's and their CEO mentioning it will ship in August and Sprints version releasing soon. Thats why I am leaning toward the GS2 being the Stratosphere. Only evidence we have of it being the slider is a pic.

EDIT: One last rumor that I forgot to add. Verizon is supposed to be the first to release the GS2 according to sources.

Again we all could be wrong and it ends up being a device similar to the Droid Pro :eek:

It could happen

Last edited:

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
forgot to mention if the roadmap is true who would have thought the Revolution 2 would be coming out so soon? Lets assume this roadmap is true and it didn't leak but there was a rumor of a Revo 2. How many people would have been saying "Nonsense, they just released the Revolution!! They are not going to canabalize sales!" and on and on and on. :)

We know nothing and ANYTHING is possible. Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global. Bet nobody saw that coming did they? We know nothing and our logic or preconceived notions about how things should go don't mean anything.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
forgot to mention if the roadmap is true who would have thought the Revolution 2 would be coming out so soon? Lets assume this roadmap is true and it didn't leak but there was a rumor of a Revo 2. How many people would have been saying "Nonsense, they just released the Revolution!! They are not going to canabalize sales!" and on and on and on. :)

We know nothing and ANYTHING is possible. Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global. Bet nobody saw that coming did they? We know nothing and our logic or preconceived notions about how things should go don't mean anything.

Well all I know is that BMX said it would only be 3G and I also know Bionic is in End user experience level testing at Verizon when the GS2 isn't. If they are supposed to launch the same day it should be there. Also not having an FCC final report yet doesnt help. I'm just super skeptical right now. Believe me I'd love an LTE GS2 to launch ASAP, I'm just not seeing much of a window of possiblity anymore.