New Tablet Recommendation

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am in the market for a new tablet. I currently have an LG GPad Google Play Edition that has a battery that will not last a day and struggles with more than a couple apps open. I was hoping for some tablet releases coming from CES, but did not see anything Android related.

That said, I use my tablet primarily for reading on a daily basis- social media, newspapers, magazines and news feeds. On a regular basis, I use it for music (large music collection ~50GB) and streaming video. When I travel, I also use it to download movies for the car/plane.

I am looking for an 8 to 10 inch tablet, preferably with near stock android (I am not a fan of skins). With the amount of music I have, I would like one that has a microSD slot.

I have looked into the Shield K1 and the Pixel C. I am concerned the K1 will not get updated to Nougat, and the Pixel C is short on storage, not to mention a little pricey. I have not ruled out either. What do others recommend?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure what to suggest for a tablet, but have you considered one of the newer Chromebooks announced at CES? The newer ones have a good chance of running Android apps out of the box.

I know this one is a bit pricey, going for a little under $500, but it flips to be a tablet, 12+" and will have better battery life than a tablet: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-Chromebook-Flip-C302CA/
From the AC article: Hands-on with the awesome ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 | Android Central

Thanks! I actually did consider that, but would prefer something smaller and lighter. I have no use for a keyboard and want something that is designed to be used with fingers rather than a mouse.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I actually did consider that, but would prefer something smaller and lighter. I have no use for a keyboard and want something that is designed to be used with fingers rather than a mouse.
OK. Well, for the most part, you would be looking at a Samsung tablet, but I don't think they announced anything at CES. They may at MWC in Late February, but that is still speculation. The tablet market is shrinking.

Christian_heller

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I just bought the Google Pixel C and I quite like it. However, I also agree that Samsung has been producing some great tablets. I do like the Samsung Galaxy Tab A as well :)
I found some info here around which tablet best to buy but the site is in German so not sure it will be useful for you?