New to rooting. What to do first after rooting..

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooting and you don't know why, you probably shouldn't be rooting ;)

Rooting by itself is useless, rooting because you want to do something that requires it is useful. The question to ask yourself is what couldn't you do before that you thought rooting would fix?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Better grab the sbf file according to your version first off by that response,lol. An .sbf file will flash your phone back to out of the box in case you carry out an experiment with flawed results. You can find it in the stickie threads on the rooting/roms page. Rooting opens the doors to alot more actions than you previously had.

So go ahead and now start shopping for some root required apps that you have been missing out on. The usual's are Titanium Backup so you can create a back up to revert to if needed.
Rom Manager is a great tool to find custom ROMs beyond stock, and it includes the all-important Clockwork Recovery which is most useful for clearing cache info and flashing zip files. Have a deep look thru it.

Superuser is good to get, if you happen to pick a ROM that doesnt have it built in already. You can manage your root apps within, changing permissions etc.

Look for a few fun apps then, maybe a screen-shot app(useful here), ummmm ad-free is nice, blocks ads so you have a better view, and for theming, depending on what custom ROM you chose, will tell you if you need to shop for those or not.

TwiggLe

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I grabbed Titanium Backup was the first thing I got. Then grabbed Ron Manager. I'm still poking around on the net and multiple forums. I'm reading as much as I can before I actually do any more changes ect.

I want to prepare myself best i can before I go breaking things. Which is basically how I taught myself PC Hardware/software is I broke it then figured out how to fix it from there :p

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree with my fellow Jersey Boy, if one of the reasons was to learn the best first start is to learn how to SBF. One click root tools, IMO, don't do anyone any favors. Once you start playing around with root tools you've got a good chance of screwing up your phone, figuring out the SBF process (especially if it means getting a Linux boot CD or a separate Linux partition - RSD Lite has serious issue but sbf_flash has never failed me) is in integral way of being able to restore you phone pretty much no matter what you throw at it. Just make sure you have a recent backup first ;)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So I follow'd the 1 Click root guide and I'm now rooted. (Holy crap that was easy...)

What should my next steps be?

Drink a 6 pack. Then SBF back to stock .602 to watch the one click magic again...so much better when buzzing from the beer . ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX

Reggie Bradley

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
If you're rooting and you don't know why, you probably shouldn't be rooting ;)

Rooting by itself is useless, rooting because you want to do something that requires it is useful. The question to ask yourself is what couldn't you do before that you thought rooting would fix?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino