New turbo and new to android phone, couple set up questions

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Picked up one this weekend. Im coming from iPhone but have a nexus 7 tab.

How do u eliminate all vibrations? I selected everything off but it still vibes on lock screen when I unlock it. Its just a short subtle one but still want to nix it.

How do u get to the widget menu? I never use them on my tablet but was reading that people like them so I may take another crack at it. Also
I deleted the command center widget and now I can't find it.

Still deciding on a messaging app. The Verizon one is so so. I send texts to iPhones but the reply text sometimes come back to my old disabled phone via imessage. Not sure if its my end. I see there is a long thread on messaging. Gonna head over there next.

Thanks. Turbo so far is as expected. Wonder if I'll mod it like you guys...more questions to follow I'm sure.
Jf

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can get rid of the lock screen vibration. If you press and hold the home screen you will get the widget menu. I use hangouts for messaging

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

How do u eliminate all vibrations? I selected everything off but it still vibes on lock screen when I unlock it. Its just a short subtle one but still want to nix it.
Don't know that one.

How do u get to the widget menu? I never use them on my tablet but was reading that people like them so I may take another crack at it. Also
Two ways. Long press on a blank area of the screen, and you should see two options appear: 1 is to add apps, the other to add widgets. Once you're in the widget selection area, you'll find Control Center (or Command Center) The second method is to go to the app drawer and scroll all the way to the end of the apps, then scroll again; now your in widgets. This second option may NOT work for you, because I am running Apex launcher, and that behavior might be specific to the alternate launcher. I'd be interested in hearing if method 2 works for you.

Still deciding on a messaging app. The Verizon one is so so. I send texts to iPhones but the reply text sometimes come back to my old disabled phone via imessage. Not sure if its my end. I see there is a long thread on messaging. Gonna head over there next.

Thanks. Turbo so far is as expected. Wonder if I'll mod it like you guys...more questions to follow I'm sure.
Jf
Go to this thread to see whole long discussion about which messaging application is the "best": http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/460626-what-messaging-app-do-you-use.html

You may find this is more than you want to read (lol). There's a lot of opinions; some based on if you have a companion smart watch, some based on being able to use the PC as a companion app, and some just because of personal preferences in user experience. So far, my two favorites are 8SMS and Textra. I just switched BACK to Textra because it was recently updated, and so far I am really liking it (where I wasn't too wild about it before). It strikes a good balance between personalization, pop-up functionality, fine tuning, and smart watch compatibility.

As for "modding", try Nova and Apex launchers to change your GUI experience and add more functionality and customization than you can shake a stick at. There are other capable launchers, but those are fairly much the defacto standards (I prefer Apex, but I think Nova probably has more fans).

Last edited:

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Great start!
Thanks

Widget thing worked by touching the screen and holding. The built in guide I think says hold down home button...but I prob read it incorrectly.

Moved from apple bc less than excited about current line up and my nexus 7 tablet been so solid. 8 -10hrs a day and pretty flawless. So thought i would check out android.

5.0 slowed my tab down for sure but still functional. Wonder if 5.0 will crump the turbo

Again thx!.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I send texts to iPhones but the reply text sometimes come back to my old disabled phone via imessage. Not sure if its my end. I see there is a long thread on messaging.

I am not an iphone user so this is based on a number of posts about this general problem. You have to do something to delete your phone from imessaging. My understanding is that the Apple empire handles text messages differently if they are iphone to iphone instead of to alien environments.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Great start!
Thanks

Widget thing worked by touching the screen and holding. The built in guide I think says hold down home button...but I prob read it incorrectly.

Moved from apple bc less than excited about current line up and my nexus 7 tablet been so solid. 8 -10hrs a day and pretty flawless. So thought i would check out android.

5.0 slowed my tab down for sure but still functional. Wonder if 5.0 will crump the turbo

Again thx!.
I heard the first generation Nexus 7 slow down is a common problem with 5.0. The newest generation of phones will in all likelihood either perform the same, or experience a small increase in performance. The latter is more likely upon a future fine tuning release IMO.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Also
Jf

Were you able to eliminate the vibration when you unlock the phone? Did you uncheck the vibration box in Settings, Moto, Display?

Did you find Command Center?

Posted via the Android Central App