Newbie tablet question

BYE BYE BB

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Greetings AC!

I am currently in the market to purchase a tablet in the upcoming weeks (pending release dates). The reason for considering a tablet instead of replacing our old Powerbook was due to the fact that I do not utilize any "computer-intensive" programs anymore such as Serato (DJ software), Photoshop, and various other video and music editing programs. My wife and I only use the laptop for paying bills online, surfing the web, and more importantly, storing and organizing our personal videos and photos of our friends, family, and daughter.

Thus, this brings me to my question. Would I be able to simply plug my video camera or digital camera into any said tablet and be able to import/catalog its contents? Its fairly plug and play on our laptop, but I can't imagine this is the case for tablets (I'm hoping I'm wrong). If this is not the case, is there a simple way to upload our contents? I hope I don't have to spend more on a new laptop, but instead own a brand spankin new Android tablet!

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you want the tablet to act like a laptop in terms of pictures and videos. You need to think of the tablet as a consumption engine only at this point.

Things like accessing remote media files and photos either from other computers or to other computers can be done, but usually requires some cartwheels and handstands to get it done. Printing is also mostly a myth at this point with the exception of a handful of HP printers.

Don’t think of the tablet as a laptop replacement. Think of it as a big phone without being able to make calls.

The tech is getting there but the tablet/laptop replacement is not quite there yet. Besides from what I’m seeing these tablets (except the nook color) all cost more then a low/low-mid range laptop!

I had to console many a disappointed consumer after the Holidays when they brought their iPads in and wanted it to do everything their laptop did.

BYE BYE BB

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. Luckily my Powerbook can still handle uploading our vids/pics after I do a fresh install of the OS and start from scratch. I was hoping I could have just eliminated that extra step. As for printing, there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for that in my house (we gladly utilize the printers at my work ;)) Hopefully the newly announced Sammy tab is cheaper then the Xoom. Those are the two that I have my eyes on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A_Brayshaw