jillybnc

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
Couple of quick questions...
1) do I really need an anti-virus app?
2) task killer
3) battery optimizer
anything else that forums say I MUST have?
thanks in advance!

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Greetings. Its not a necessity to have an anti virus app but it does not hurt. Lookout is a great one. I would not recommend a task killer. Thats just my opinion though. You can stop apps by just going to settings, applications, running services and stop rhem there. Good luck with your device. Are you rooted? Just so we can recommend some apps.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
1. I would say not to bother with anti virus. I have one but don't use it. It's just for peace of mind. A far as I'm concerned, if you just watch what you're doing and where you get things, you'll be fine.

2. I used to use a task killer but I got rid of it. They just aren't worth it as far as I'm concerned. Just like someone above me said, you can kill apps from the settings menu if you really have to.

3. I wouldn't bother with a battery optimizer. There are plenty of things you can do to optimize your battery without an app.

Also, rooting is not bad. I used gingersnap and it took all but 10 mins or so. I just made sure to do lots of research before hand and it went very smoothly.

Sent from my CM7 LG-LS670 using Tapatalk.

theBIG

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
1. I'm not entirely sure AV is necessary, though it may be in the future. I don't personally run one, but I wouldn't tell anybody not to if it's what they want. Like SyntheticHuman says just above, if you're careful (ie, don't go installing warez from Chinese websites), it's probably not needed.

2. Task killer. If you're reading or hearing that you need one, that's holdover legacy thinking from pre-2.1 Android. Android actually does a good job managing apps/memory on its own, and task killers can (and often will) lead to problems. Trust the OS. If you're running Android 1.5, maybe... but Froyo, Gingerbread, or later? Unnecessary and counterproductive.

3. Battery optimizer... I've gotten far better results rooting than I ever did with any battery optimizer. I've got a total of five android devices that I take care of (self and family, I'm not a dev or a tech guy), and every phone that I've rooted and flashed a custom ROM to has seen improvements in battery life (and usually improved stability, not to mention added features.) My dad's Optimus S gets about 50% more use between charges since we flashed a new ROM.

As long as you're willing to do a little reading, and can follow instructions, I'd absolutely recommend rooting and trying a custom ROM. For the LG Optimus S, I think you're in the best place--there's lots of forums out there, but this site seems to have the best info and the most current discussion for this device. Read up, ask questions where you need clarification, expect some trial and error... but you'll be surprised what this little phone can do when it's tweaked properly.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24