Nexus 4 even slower than slow wifi

Josh Berkus

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Occasionally I am in places (like my in-laws, right now) where I have no cell reception and the available wifi is slow. Under these circumstances, I've found that the Nexus 4 is an order of magnitude slower than the slow wifi; if the wifi is capable of 16kbps, then the Nexus can only do 1kbps (or so; it's so slow I can't get a speed testing app to download). This means that some applications, like photo uploads and the Play Store, do not work at all. I've also found this to be the fact at conferences and hotels in countries where I don't have a phone connection. It really seems like the Nexus wants fast wifi, and if it can't have it, it won't use the wifi at all.

This problem seems to have gotten much worse since 4.3++ (I'm on 4.4.4 now). Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Upgrade your in-laws WiFi and stay at hotels with better WiFi. I've had this problem, but it's not Nexus 4 specific. My tablet, laptop, and other (iPhone) would also behave in a similar manner.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Similar problem. When I updated from 4.2.2 to 4.3, my "G" wifi speed went from 20Mbps average to 10Mbps average. No updates since have fixed the problem. Apparently in my case it is also an issue with Google's OS not playing nice with my router and /or "G" (Linksys WRT54G with Shibby Tomato) as I still get much faster speeds using public hotspots. I am using someone else's router, otherwise I would upgrade it.