Nexus 4 keeps turning off even when charging?

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you have an custom-launcher?
Go Launcher or Nova, etc?
Go caused trouble with my XOOM.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I saw that the 4.2.2 version was supposed to fix the random rebooting.
quote: "the new software landed on the Nexus devices last week. It was supposed to fix the problem with the previous version, 4.2.1, rebooting your phone without warning"

I have a new Nexus 4 with 4.2.2 installed and my phone still randomly shuts down without warning. I only notice it when I go to use it and have to turn it back on!

Please can this issue be fixed?

I don't think that's the same problem. There's a difference between randomly rebooting (shutting off then turning back on) and shutting off (meaning not turning back on).

Sean2020

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Pleased this isn't just my Phone, however mine reboots around 15 times a day (im not joking) it always reboots when i listen to music i listen to a song for around a minute and it just reboots

gphilp

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
hi, no I have no custom launcher.
It's the stock phone from Google and I received the 4.2.2 update.
Now it just randomly shuts down. Very annoying.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I am having this EXACT same problem completely stock, the phone freezes usually at night, the LED still works but the phone is completely unresponsive, and I have to hold the power button for ten seconds to get it to restart. It happens at least 3-4 times a week, and happens every time I use a charger over night.

kaladorn

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have the same problem as most of the others in this thread. mind shuts down periodically usually when its not being used for it.. it seems to shut down when it is connected to the charger or not connected to the charger. I do have a fair number of apps installed but I do not have any custom llauncher. it seems if you leave the device unused for. of some hours imagine this power down seems to occur. I am running the latest 4.2.2 that has been pushed to the phone. I have missed alarms as a consequence of this behavior as well as various text messages as I do not think the audible alarm or vibration goes off in this state. I have not installed too much in the way of software that I think has service like behavior or that should be running any activities in the background.

it is rather frustrating and is a sizable problem to my mind for a phone.

rrobert4

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Any luck resolving this? I spoke to someone from Google who suggested I delete my third party apps in Safe Mode.

I've done that, but because this is an intermittent problem I go like a week and a half thinking I found the offending app and fixed my phone, and then I wake up an hour late for work because my phone froze overnight and my alarm didn't go off.

Prockzed

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue with the most recently pushed version of 4.4
Thankfully I don't rely on my phone for an alarm clock, but if i did I'd likely be out of a job because of this damn issue. Like most of the the others here it tends to happen when i leave the phone charging overnight. I just turned on Daydream mode so I am hoping that might help prevent at least that issue.

I also have a problem where sometimes when i get a phone call the answering gui will refuse to work. I can press down on the circle and it will show the options but refuse to let me drag over to any of them. I have to quickly use the power button to turn the screen off and on to fix this before the call automatically goes to my voicemail. Managable, but still incredibly frustrating and unacceptable.

Any help is incredibly appreciated.

rrobert4

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I managed to fix the issue on my phone with an app called 'Safe Charge' on the Play Store. It's by xda developers and requires no special permissions. Haven't had a problem in 2 weeks.

Eliza Sevilla

May 6, 2014
Visit site
last week my nexus 4 experienced the what they call "red light of death" according to videos on youtube. there is only red led flashing everytime i plug it. and i cant turn it on. i bring it twice to the repairshop. both of them cannot fix it. but now when i try to charge it there is no more red led flashing. and it is already charging. i was waiting for it to get fully charged. after 2 hours charging i tried to turn it on. then i was able to turn it on already. i thought everything is already ok. but after turning it on it says power off. and i let it charge more and i tried turning it on. still the same. and now it is already 17 hours charging. and still everytime i turn it on it says power off. does anyone experienced this? what did you do? help please? i also tried to hold the power button and the volume down and it worked. but when it finally turned on still power off. what can i do?

Riley Larche

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
last week my nexus 4 experienced the what they call "red light of death" according to videos on youtube. there is only red led flashing everytime i plug it. and i cant turn it on. i bring it twice to the repairshop. both of them cannot fix it. but now when i try to charge it there is no more red led flashing. and it is already charging. i was waiting for it to get fully charged. after 2 hours charging i tried to turn it on. then i was able to turn it on already. i thought everything is already ok. but after turning it on it says power off. and i let it charge more and i tried turning it on. still the same. and now it is already 17 hours charging. and still everytime i turn it on it says power off. does anyone experienced this? what did you do? help please? i also tried to hold the power button and the volume down and it worked. but when it finally turned on still power off. what can i do?

OK same here issues that you guys have but, I am going to try changing my daydream back to on because my nexus 7 has that on it doesn't do that but my nexus 4 has it off and it does. Also I have disabled apps, do you guys have any disabled? Maybe that's why?

kristysnyder

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? My phone is randomly starting to do this and it's super frustrating; I was late to work today because my alarm didn't go off!

rrobert4

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? My phone is randomly starting to do this and it's super frustrating; I was late to work today because my alarm didn't go off!

Yes. Download 'Safe Charge' from the Play Store. The issue had something to do with the phone overcharging when plugged in at night. Safe Charge fixes that. I haven't missed an alarm since I installed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngdaddy3