Nexus 4 scratch test

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Try the same test on a drinking glass. BTW how many drinking glasses have been dropped without breaking and look at the bottom of your glass drinking glasses and see how scratched up they are. something about this glass scratching, shatering and breaking stuff just doesn't make sense.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why there is no sound?

I can wave my hand over the phone with sharp objects as well.

There is sound on my video. U can't hear him lifting and tapping the objects on the screen to show u he is actually doing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not that I want anyone to try this with their own Nexus phone they spent their money on, but it would be nice to see someone drop things on their phone from about 6 to 8 inches to see if it would scratch. I was thinking like a handful of:
coins
rocks
sand
keys

I would think that Gorilla Glass can take scratching like the video but not sure if it would take something dropping from a short distance and letting it move on its freewill. Just seems weird that this video shows no scratches yet people are still saying their phone has them.

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression most scratches on screens these days were caused by grit/sand lying dormant in the pocket waiting to strike an unsuspecting naked phone screen. Rather than something large like keys or a flick knife or a frikin gun.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket with anything else just incase and yet there is still a tiny scratch on my GNexus.

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The one on diaplay at tmobile was scratched to hell.. just saying.

Are you sure it was scratched and not just in need of a decent clean from all the greasy fingered children? I can't imagine a display phone being subjected to objects that would scratch a phone normally in a display environment. Unless someone has specifically attacked it to test it or the TMobile staff were using it for football practice?

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
True, but I doubt they are carried open with the blade exposed (at least not intentionally). Which leads me to a question for OP: Did you do the test with the sharp, exposed corner of the box cutter, or just the edge of the sheath? It's kind of hard to tell from the video.

Also, gotta agree with your comment from the video: 0:27 - "I like 'em naked." :cool: Do you feel like you still have that "naked" feel with the bumper on?

I used the sharp razor end of the box cutter.

Haha this is bullsh*t... Try scratching with a needle, or something very sharp and pointy. Of you vont scratch it with a key... Even my old sgs can take that.

Box cutter not sharp enough?

I wonder why there is no sound?

I can wave my hand over the phone with sharp objects as well.
There's no sound because there's no scratching. You need friction to hear the sound. The gorilla glass is harder than keys, boxcutter, coins so those things just glide across the surface. The only sound you hear is the impact from first contact... scratching motion just glides across the surface.

socaltyger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression most scratches on screens these days were caused by grit/sand lying dormant in the pocket waiting to strike an unsuspecting naked phone screen. Rather than something large like keys or a flick knife or a frikin gun.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket with anything else just incase and yet there is still a tiny scratch on my GNexus.

This is what I feel is the cause of most scratches as well (at least in these latest and greatest phones with gorilla glass).

Are you sure it was scratched and not just in need of a decent clean from all the greasy fingered children? I can't imagine a display phone being subjected to objects that would scratch a phone normally in a display environment. Unless someone has specifically attacked it to test it or the TMobile staff were using it for football practice?

I went into the TMobile store to activate my Nexus4 (from a Blackberry Bold 9700... free sim, no charge btw).. and saw the Nexus4 display model. It looked beat up under the display light, but upon closer inspection it was exactly as you said.. just greasy finger print streaks enhanced by the angled light.

Red_Wolf

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got my nexus 4 today 11/21/12 10:30AM EST, around 7PM est I found a scratch on the back close to the camera. I can feel or see it hardly but just wanted to share with you guys.
I call them for a replacement but they are out of stock, so its a bad luck I guess

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Take a quarter and hit it with a hammer real hard afew times on pavement. Then with that beat up quarter try and scratch the screen. I dare you.

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know how it happened. Noticed it on day 4.
ugehavud.jpg

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk

nexus4girl

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My back is scratched too--1st full day of use. Must've rubbed against my keys or something in my bag. Disappoint. At this point, it's already scratched, so putting a smooth cover on it won't adhere to the grooves very well.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see some sandpaper scratch tests. Metal is softer than glass (silicon), so these tests are pointless.