Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

DaveG67

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

You might want to go into settings > apps > gallery/google photos and clear the data/cache before you wipe the whole phone. That might reset the default location of the folder once it's created.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

When I restarted the phone, it automatically created a new folder, but the pictures don't work when saved into it. I think i'm going to factory reset the phone, but what do I do before that to save all my contacts and apps?

If clearing the app data doesn't work and you have a custom recovery clear the cache and Dalvik. Reboot and see if that works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jacob Janeiro

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

We all have brand new shiny N5's, but eventually some will have hardware/software issues. Please list any issues that you're having here. As to see if it's widespread or unique to your unit and if there is a fix.
Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

I actually had an issue with mine. It turned off an refused to turn back on no matter what I did (like dead dead dead, absolutely NOTHING came on). I emailed google and they sent me a list of troubleshooting steps to try. I followed them, they all failed. Out of desperation I sat it on my wireless charger (official nexus) and the battery icon popped up, so I turned it on. I requested a return anyway (there were other problems I was having with the device, ie before it WASN'T charging on the wireless charger) but I wanted to share this quick fix. If you find yourself in a jam like this and have a wireless charger, it may just get you out of it! Hope it helps someone!!

korn87

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Just got my Nexus 5 today. Got all available system updates installed but I am having trouble like others with Wi-Fi connection. I am able to connect to my wifi at home when I do not have a password enabled for it. But when I re-enable the password for the wifi and enter the password and try to connect it takes it but never actually uses the wifi. The status only sits at "saved, secured with WEP". I have tried rebooting the phone and router, turning off then on wifi, rebooting router, enable and disable airplane mode and nothing seems to work.

edit : Fixed my issue by changing my wifi security key to WPA from WEP.

Last edited:

Samuel Collins

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey I have had mine for about 2 months now and I'm finding when ever I try to load images both large amount and small amount. The transfer crashes, I have it on camera mode and I'm using windows 8 and I have no software editing or roots on my phone. If anyone has knows how to fix this or another way of doing it please let me know thank you.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, it took 7 replacements, returning, giving up, and then giving it another shot, but I finally got a Nexus 5 without any real issues. The one I got today has perfect screen calibration, tight buttons, and generally seems to be the best one I've gotten. It does have a slightly wonky vibration motor (sounds a little weird) but I can totally live with that.

I also know it's a recent build because it came with 4.4.2 out of the box, while all of the others needed the update. Now I'll be content with my 5 until HTC announces the 2014 One

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I got mine on Friday. Even after the update to 4.4.2 I still feel the camera is slow. I also noticed a slight delay when opening hangouts. I'm coming from an iPhone where there was almost no delay when opening the message screen. It takes about 1.5-2 seconds to load messages when I open hangouts . I posted a separate thread about it. I ended switching to a different SMS app that loads in about half a second to a second.i definitly dig hangouts and wish it moved quicker like the rest of the phone.

twister99403

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Friday. Even after the update to 4.4.2 I still feel the camera is slow. I also noticed a slight delay when opening hangouts. I'm coming from an iPhone where there was almost no delay when opening the message screen. It takes about 1.5-2 seconds to load messages when I open hangouts . I posted a separate thread about it. I ended switching to a different SMS app that loads in about half a second to a second.i definitly dig hangouts and wish it moved quicker like the rest of the phone.

I noticed a speed difference with ART enabled

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Avinash Nag

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

Hello,

got a new nexus 5 today, everything is fine, have 2 questions, please assist.

1. Which kind of cover/casing is good and by the way, the screen guard is come by default.

2. All buttons work properly and there is no sound If i shake/make calls, but I noticed one thing, I think there are not even(not perfectly flat), Is this normal as power button functions normally and second thing is when I hold the button, I can move the buttons up and down(small movement) and there is a very tiny sound. Any body experienced this ? Will putting a case solve this problem ?

cheers,
avs

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

the screen guard is come by default.

That's just a protective covering while the device is being shipped. It's meant to be removed.

I can move the buttons up and down(small movement) and there is a very tiny sound. Any body experienced this ? Will putting a case solve this problem ?

Some N5 units were noted to have buttons that were somewhat loose (but still functioned fine). This was modified with later production models, with tighter buttons. I don't think a case will help much, but I also don't think it's realistically going to cause any problems for you.

therealmatt84

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Is "OK Google" working most of the time for everyone? My nexus 5 is great but whenever I say "OK Google" it never works except when I restart my phone. If my phone is idle for awhile and I try to use it again it doesn't work. I haven't rooted it, its pretty much stock except that I had it on ART runtime but recently switched back to Davlik to see if that had anything to do with but doesn't seem like it. Anyways...anyone else have this problem or have a fix?

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking into getting one of these if I switch to AT&T to save some money. What is the Wi-Fi issue that I see popping up frequently in these threads? Is there a fix for it, or is it something that I would just have to deal with?

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking into getting one of these if I switch to AT&T to save some money. What is the Wi-Fi issue that I see popping up frequently in these threads? Is there a fix for it, or is it something that I would just have to deal with?

No issues here, whatsoever. I connect to several different WiFi routers daily, and use my N5 as a hotspot.

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things, tried searching and read back a few pages in this thread but haven't come across any answers...

1. "You Have Internet Connection" bubble... is there a way to turn this off? The bubble stays up for way too long, and I am often times waiting for it to disappear before I can read a text / watch a video. Not sure what the point is anyway... I can look at my cell signal at the top to determine if I have internet connection or not, I don't need a pop up bubble to tell me.

2. My battery is nowhere near as good as most of the screenshots in this thread. Looking at my phone right now... I'm at 45% left @ 10h 6m 46s. The screen is the biggest user at 27%, and my "on screen time" is 47m 20s. My brightness is on Auto.
- Android system uses 10% and is on for 10m 49s
- Phone Idle uses 9%, at 9h 19m 26s
- Cell Standby uses 9%, at 10h 8m 5s
- Google Services uses 8%, at 4m 1s

Those numbers are abysmal compared to many of the screenshots posted in this thread. What gives?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
WiFi works on my Nexus 5 without issue here. I connect at home and dozens of sites throughout the city reliably with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
No issues here, whatsoever. I connect to several different WiFi routers daily, and use my N5 as a hotspot.

WiFi works on my Nexus 5 without issue here. I connect at home and dozens of sites throughout the city reliably with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks to both of you guys. It just seemed like, after reading these threads, that there were some SERIOUS issues with this phone that I hadn't really heard of before.

I know if I go to AT&T this has to be my first phone on there. Verizon has shunned the Nexus family for too long!

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, it took 7 replacements, returning, giving up, and then giving it another shot, but I finally got a Nexus 5 without any real issues. The one I got today has perfect screen calibration, tight buttons, and generally seems to be the best one I've gotten. It does have a slightly wonky vibration motor (sounds a little weird) but I can totally live with that.

I also know it's a recent build because it came with 4.4.2 out of the box, while all of the others needed the update. Now I'll be content with my 5 until HTC announces the 2014 One

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL....geez. You being super picky or all of them seem to have a concrete issue that you couldn't deal with? I got authorized an RMA but have held off in getting it going because I didn't want to deal with the hassle and figured I'd just do more troubleshooting. My issue has been battery drain at night when the phone is asleep and not in use. Figured I'd just deal with it but if they authorized 7(!) replacements for you, I guess I could be more picky and force the issue of getting a Nexus 5 that performs how I feel it is supposed to. Before I was figuring I'd simply wait about 10 months in to the life of the phone to get that RMA just before I could no longer (setting myself up with a brand new device right before the warranty is up).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol