Nexus 5x Screen turns off for no apparent reason

srome

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 5x screen has started turning off going black randomly makes no difference what I'm doing with the phone, texting, email, internet etc.. after the screen has gone off you can touch the screen and you can here the clicks and vibrations so the phone is still on I have to hold the power button in and the shutdown menu appears if I don't click on shutdown the phone the screen goes off again, the screen will only come back on as it should be after I've restarted the phone this is happening 4 of 5 times a day.

The phone is stock with latest update nothing has been changed with regard settings or adding an apps, It happens if the phone is in the genuine nexus 5x folio case or naked I've also restored the phone to factory settings and this does not fix the issue.

I don't recall this happening prior to the latest official android update anyone else having this problem?

srome

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Never tried to be honest as it would mean running in safe mode all day as the screen goes off randomly, I've not used safe mode before and I'm not sure if this would still allow me to use the phone as normal for calls and texts as a minimum.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Safe Mode allows all preinstalled and system apps to work normally, so you can still make calls and send texts.

srome

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'll give it a go, but can't see what it will diagnose if i'm right in thinking safe mode loads everything bar 3rd party apps which I don't have on the phone since its been factory restored while trying to diagnose myself.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll give it a go, but can't see what it will diagnose if i'm right in thinking safe mode loads everything bar 3rd party apps which I don't have on the phone since its been factory restored while trying to diagnose myself.

Did you factory data reset with auto restore DISABLED? Or did you leave that feature enabled and reload the same configuration?

srome

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've done a factory restore with auto restore disabled and enabled in total 3 factory restores have been done there is something defiantly up with this phone. It would have been nice to fault find this but the phone is coming up to 30 days old after 30 days CPW will repair it not replace with a brand new one.

Its boxed it up and gone back to be replaced for a new one with a bit of luck, I just hope CPW don't send it back as no fault found.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I still always suggest this, because when you do a factory reset, apps will often automatically reinstall right after you finish the Setup Wizard. So it's worth doing the factory reset, then going immediately to the Play Store and stopping any apps that might be automatically installing.

I hope your replacement unit works flawlessly!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjay