Nexus 6 differences

madkoda12

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey there guys, I've been waiting and trying every Wednesday (and some other days here and there) since the phone was released for Google or Motorola to put the phone up and be able to snatch one. I always miss it :-/. My question I guess is, are there any differences between any models of the Nexus 6? If I buy one from t-mobile instead, will I still get updates from Google? or have to wait for T-Mobile to push them? with that being said If I buy one from Google or Motorola will I still get the WiFi calling update from T-Mobile? Sorry if that was confusing...

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
They are designed to be exactly the same for sale in North America.
Slight variations like the AT&T's branding and bloatware have been reported.
Mine from Sprint is pure vanilla Android. No branding or bloat.
Unless rooted, all will get updates as soon as possible, usually direct from the Google servers.

Mav. :cool:

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
WiFI calling is a T-Mobile only feature so it must have a slightly different ROM. I'm sure that you can flash the standard ROM/

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
They are designed to be exactly the same for sale in North America.
Slight variations like the AT&T's branding and bloatware have been reported.
Mine from Sprint is pure vanilla Android. No branding or bloat.
Unless rooted, all will get updates as soon as possible, usually direct from the Google servers.

Mav. :cool:

"as soon as possible" may be more at carrier discretion than in the past.

Google recently revised their policy...

Timing for software updates

Nexus devices

Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, and Nexus 10 devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.
(Source)

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
so whether I get one from t-mobile or google play/motorola it doesn't matter update wise?

I would think since T-Mobile and Motorola got their stock direct from Google, and Motorola made the hardware, it won't matter. There's no carrier branding on the T-Mobile and Motorola versions.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but it doesn't work yet on T-Mobile. It's supposed to be activated in early 2015 with a software update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes sir... I was just responding to it's a T-Mobile only thing and you'd need a specific ROM for it... I think it's only because Google baked it into Lollipop that T-Mobile is going to let it work.... I am sure they know we could root and find a way around it if we wanted to use it like tethering back when it was first baked into Android... Carriers blocked it and we rooted and used it anyway...

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes sir... I was just responding to it's a T-Mobile only thing and you'd need a specific ROM for it... I think it's only because Google baked it into Lollipop that T-Mobile is going to let it work.... I am sure they know we could root and find a way around it if we wanted to use it like tethering back when it was first baked into Android... Carriers blocked it and we rooted and used it anyway...

No reason not for them to allow it. It's an advantage to them, since their nationwide network is weak. And I love it for when I'm abroad!

Posted via the Android Central App