Nexus 6 image...what would you do?

John Sandoval

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
OK, here's the scenario.

I decided I wanted a N6 because they've been discounted. Bought one on Amazon from Motorola, wife is sending it to me because I'm still working down range with the Army. I plan on using my Roshan sim in it until I get ready to travel home, then I will pop in my Verizon sim that I have from my Moto X 2014.

When I get home in November, I plan on switching my family plan to T-Mobile.

I've been to the Google page that lists all the factory images. I understand that there's an "all carriers" image and there's an image for T-Mobile customers that enable WiFi calling.

Questions:
1. If my phone isn't already loaded with 5.1.1, should I load the All Carriers image? Or...
2. Can I go ahead and load the T-Mobile image and still use my Verizon sim with it?
3. If I load the All Carriers image, will my phone auto-update to the T-Mobile image? Or will I have to wipe it and side load it manually?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Download and flash the ALL Carriers image.

What happened for me (I recently swapped my N6 from AT&T to T-Mobile) is at the first reboot AFTER swapping the SIM card, I got a small OTA that put me on the T-Mobile image without wiping anything. Wifi calling works as expected.

John Sandoval

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Download and flash the ALL Carriers image.

What happened for me (I recently swapped my N6 from AT&T to T-Mobile) is at the first reboot AFTER swapping the SIM card, I got a small OTA that put me on the T-Mobile image without wiping anything. Wifi calling works as expected.

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the help!

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I didn't get why you want to flash carrier image? I believe better is if your phone is unbranded. First faster software updates. Second less bloatware. Third no carrier control. Maybe Im wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get why you want to flash carrier image? I believe better is if your phone is unbranded. First faster software updates. Second less bloatware. Third no carrier control. Maybe Im wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Having the T-Mobile image gives you T-Mobile WiFi calling. That's worth it.