Nexus 6P and Verizon..newbie questions. Can I get some help?

mike406

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 6P and Verizon...newbie questions

Hi all I have a few questions about using the Nexus 6P on Verizon. I've never bought a phone that wasn't provided by Verizon before. I have always used my Verizon upgrade to get my new phone so I have some newbie questions about the process as its new to me.

1. I still am on a plan with a contract, and it still has a few months left to go. Can I use this phone or do I have to wait until my contract is up? If I can I just need to swap the sim card right?

2. Will the Total Mobile Protection plan transfer as well and cover this phone? Or will I need Nexus Protect for any additional insurance?

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P and Verizon...newbie questions

1. Are you in a 2 year plan or an Edge plan?

2. If your going to buy the 6P from Google then you might as well buy the Nexus Protect plan that Google offers. I have read in other forums that the Assurion plan that you pay on Verizon will cover but since the 6P is not a Verizon phone they will get you a comparable phone.

mike406

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

1. Are you in a 2 year plan or an Edge plan?

2. If your going to buy the 6P from Google then you might as well buy the Nexus Protect plan that Google offers. I have read in other forums that the Assurion plan that you pay on Verizon will cover but since the 6P is not a Verizon phone they will get you a comparable phone.

It's a 2 year plan.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

You can use any phone you want. I was still under contract with my phone and I'm using the 6p. No issues.

Total mobile protection plan is only for VZW phones bought from VZW.

Nexus 6P

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Get Nexus Protect at time of purchase (can't be added later), Google uses Assurion also but deductible is only $89 and TMP will not be available from VZ. Also be aware that VZ Cloud service will be limited to Contacts only.

Coming from a Note 3 I had to get a Nano sim from the corporate store in Norman, OK, no charge, they activated no problems, really great people.

I went through hell trying to transfer my contacts (300). Wish I'd let the VZ guy do it.

Tried You Mail and Google Voice, deleted both and set widget on my home page to dial my VM.

At this point I will keep my 128 GB Nexus but I would rather have a 128 GB Note 5.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
So you don't make the same mistake as me, let me offer my .02. I had about two months left on my contract. I was eligible for an upgrade. So I asked if there would be a penalty to port out my number. I was told no and I went to Fi. Later told that I MUST pay an early termination fee since I didn't fulfill my contract, but they would happily waive it if I came back within 30 days (I was actually told 90 days the first time I called Verizon but apparently that was another error on their part.) Since my contract is up in a few weeks, I plan to get my termination fee refunded and then go back to Fi. Before this, I was considering going back to Verizon, since I was sharing data with family members and it was going to be cheaper for them, but that experience really peeved me. Fi, for their part isn't charging fees for leaving or coming back, although they did say I would need to order a new sim card, which I will do in plenty of time before cancelling Verizon.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I just got my Nexus 6p today and I'm on Verizon still under contract. I just took the Sim out of my droid maxx and popped it into the nexus and it works perfectly fine.

Posted via Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So you don't make the same mistake as me, let me offer my .02. I had about two months left on my contract. I was eligible for an upgrade. So I asked if there would be a penalty to port out my number. I was told no and I went to Fi. Later told that I MUST pay an early termination fee since I didn't fulfill my contract, but they would happily waive it if I came back within 30 days (I was actually told 90 days the first time I called Verizon but apparently that was another error on their part.) Since my contract is up in a few weeks, I plan to get my termination fee refunded and then go back to Fi. Before this, I was considering going back to Verizon, since I was sharing data with family members and it was going to be cheaper for them, but that experience really peeved me. Fi, for their part isn't charging fees for leaving or coming back, although they did say I would need to order a new sim card, which I will do in plenty of time before cancelling Verizon.

First the rep who told you there wouldn't be any fees was wrong. The ETF applies whenever the contract is still valid. The only thing is your ETF would be less with 2 months to go than if you'd done it with a year to go. But unless you get Verizon to waive the fee, something that normally has to be done by someone higher up than a regular rep, you'll be charged. While the rep you spoke to was at fault, you should also be aware of the fine print in your contract and (with most anyone you talk to on the phone) always get a second independent confirmation from another rep or from one of their supervisors. Most cell carriers are notorious for having employees not on the same page with each other. With Verizon I've always said I could call in 5 times with the sake question and get 5 different and often conflicting answers. Always confirm what any rep tells you.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Hi all I have a few questions about using the Nexus 6P on Verizon. I've never bought a phone that wasn't provided by Verizon before. I have always used my Verizon upgrade to get my new phone so I have some newbie questions about the process as its new to me.

1. I still am on a plan with a contract, and it still has a few months left to go. Can I use this phone or do I have to wait until my contract is up? If I can I just need to swap the sim card right?

2. Will the Total Mobile Protection plan transfer as well and cover this phone? Or will I need Nexus Protect for any additional insurance?

1. You can do it now.
2. Your insurance is tied to the line, not any particular device. Nexus Protect is still a fantastic value. I can't think of a reason not to do both.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

1. You can do it now.
2. Your insurance is tied to the line, not any particular device. Nexus Protect is still a fantastic value. I can't think of a reason not to do both.

#2 Verizon doesn't cover the Nexus and has said it will be replaced with "a phone of similar quality" so be careful ... I haven't heard that straight from VZ but from other who have spoke with them and posted here

Also, why pay for both? If you have Nexus Protect there's no reason to have Asurion too.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

You can certainty use the nexus 6P. If your contract phone takes the same sim, simply swap them and your good to go. Otherwise call or go online and request a sim. Verizon doesn't care what phone you use, only that you pay the bill in full every month.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

#2 Verizon doesn't cover the Nexus and has said it will be replaced with "a phone of similar quality" so be careful ... I haven't heard that straight from VZ but from other who have spoke with them and posted here

Also, why pay for both? If you have Nexus Protect there's no reason to have Asurion too.
Nexus protect is tied to the device and covers up to two claims. Total coverage is tied to the line and would be worth keeping in case you swap devices on that line or have more than 3 issues that require swapping or the two big things that Nexus Protect doesn't cover: loss and theft.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Nexus protect is tied to the device and covers up to two claims. Total coverage is tied to the line and would be worth keeping in case you swap devices on that line or have more than 3 issues that require swapping or the two big things that Nexus Protect doesn't cover: loss and theft.

If you swap devices then the Nexus Protect is gone with the phone so you wouldn't have both coverages. And in the event of theft, they won't send you another 6p, so going through renter's/homeowner's or even some credit cards (WF covers you if you use you card to pay your provider's monthly payment) would seem like the better option (assuming you wouldn't want another device and dedictible is reasonable). I just learned this week most homeowner policies have an electronics option where you list items separately so you won't have a $500+ deductible should somebody swipe your phone.

Just seems like for the 6p that someone with NP can find better options than Asurion through VZ, but like you pointed out, that's certainly dependent on your situation. Me personally I'd rather just use my backup phone if need be til I grabbed another 6p. Or even a better option would be to grab a Nexus 6 now which can be had for $199 and that could replace Verizon's comparable device.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
1. yes just pop in the sim and your good to go. Everything including MMS (even over wifi) works without issues. The contract is only making sure you keep that line active for 2 years, they don't care which device you happen to be using. In theory your still paying your subsidized fee included which the bill and there's little you can do about that until the contract is up.

2. You can also look at third party insurance like Square trade, its less expensive and may be better suited for your needs.

Beyond insurance, if you can put some money aside yourself and make a "rainy day" fund you'll soon have the money to replace your phone without the need for any insurance and if you never need to file a claim all that money is yours and it never cost you a dime for coverage.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My understand has always been, once you port a number from one carrier to another it automatically cancels the original contract, no matter how much or little time there is remaining.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

When I activated the 6P it automatically canceled the VZ insurance and deactivated VZ Cloud service for everything but my contacts.