Nexus 7 (2012) stuck on Google logo during boot, cannot unlock bootloader, bricked?

umamiking

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) purchased directly from the Google Play Store. It has never been rooted or unlocked. It runs stock Android. Last week, I received Lollipop OTA and installed it. It's always been working fine. Two days ago, it restarted but got stuck on the Google logo. It stays there forever, even after 10-20 minutes, it won't complete booting. Unable to figure out what's wrong, I am trying to unlock the bootloader so I can push the factory Lollipop image to it. However, no matter what I do, it freezes when it gets to erasing user data.

1. I enter fastboot mode on the tablet
2. I use one of various toolkits to send the unlock command.
3. The tablet shows the selection screen for unlocking the bootloader. I choose YES and press POWER to select
4. The console shows the selection is made and enters the deleting user data phase. At this point it gets stuck and doesn't budge.

I noticed that a few tools instruct you to make sure you are in Developer mode and/or USB Debugging is turned on. Well, to be honest, I am not sure if I am in those modes. I can't check because my tablet is dead.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

Dodysek

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 7 (2013) went the same way last night. Worked a treat when I went to bed, but when I got up in the morning it had turned itself into a brick. Only goes as far at the Google words when it will stay there forever! fastboot gets stuck in same place. Only power off works..... Not recognised in my computer either any more so cant even tried methods from other sources.
Not happy.. had it just over the year. Seems expensive now for a year usage only. Maybe should have gotten an expensive iPad instead as they seem more reliable. please can someone help us.... Only upgraded to 5.0.2 about 2 weeks ago. coincidence?

Paul Spirn

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2012) Android Version 4.4.4, stopped working last night: every app I opened closed immediately. Several attempts to Power Off/Power On put me in the boot loop which went on interminably. Tried hardware (Power and Volume buttons) factory reset/data wipe and several times, followed by Cache Wipe. Still stuck in boot loop. Any ideas? Thanks very much, Paul

Paul Spirn

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2012) Android Version 4.4.4, stopped working last night: every app I opened closed immediately. Several attempts to Power Off/Power On put me in the boot loop which went on interminably. Tried hardware (Power and Volume buttons) factory reset/data wipe and several times, followed by Cache Wipe. Still stuck in boot loop. Any ideas? Thanks very much, Paul

mjalto

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I have the exact same issue. Stuck in boot mode. Have done reboot & factory reset. Never had an issue before now. Anyone with any suggestions.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Having a very similar issue. My Nexus 7 (2012) wifi is one of those that worked great under 5.0 after a reset. Then today, out of nowhere, it shut down on me, rebooted, and then after the four balls stopped twirling, I got a new, white, android screen that I have never seen before, saying simply “android” and then the tablet reboots over and over again.I had to push the start and volume down buttons just to be able to turn the tablet off.
I’m wondering if the tablet updated to 5.01 or 5.02 on its own. I have auto updates on wifi but I’ve have always had to something affirmative to get a system update. I can’t even get into the tablet to do another reset before it starts rebooting.

Thanks in advance!

RafaelTC

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey.. WTF... same thing here... just recently got the OTA update for 5.0.2 (only on my nexus 7, not my nexus 5 yet...) about maybe 20 days ago tops?

Worked as always, and today I literally saw it reboot on it's own, then stuck on the bootloop/google logo ever since. I'ts been 3 hours now and I'm getting real frustrated. I've already tried doing a 'fastboot oem unlock' to even have a chance to do something with it (Recovery mode doesn't work!), but it keeps getting stuck at 'erasing userdata'. I've left it for at least 15 minutes, and still nothing.

Could this be a major issue?

To make things worse, my warrany ended on 01/21/2015. This is the worst timing ever.

RafaelTC

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Just as an update to my last post... I finally had to send the device to ASUS MX for review (Out of warranty, they charged me $900 MXN -around $60+ USD- to check the device), they finally determined the issue was with the flash memory/motherboard (flash failure... means no OS loading at all), apart from those 60 USD they wanted to charge me $135 USD... I rejected that, and got the device back. I had to buy a separate motherboard and replace it myself, for half the cost. I think they have a major hardware issue, since i saw a lot of forums with similar threads... most people won't acknowledge a hardware failure due to the circumstances (devices not dropped, no water damage, just out of the blue failures) So that's that.

Hopefully this will save you guys some money, If Nexus toolkit, ADB/ FASTBOOT commands fail all the time, most probably you have to replace this too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohsin sadat