Nexus 7 Lollypop 5 and factory reset WORKS

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys, After several days of frustration having updated to 5 on Sunday via the Google Notification ( my 7 is standard not routed etc ) I thought I would have to do a factory reset. Checked my receipt for purchase and it was infact 20th November 2012 and the store John Lewis provides a 2 year warranty. So I take Nexus and receipt in the hope that a day or so won't matter and something can be done. Anyway very helpful staff who were largely unaware of the problem but who all had 7s on the old OS who were very grateful for the heads up and, immediately started searching the media to confirm what I was saying about the new OS trashing the Tablet. One of the guys went to call ASUS. who make the beast and came back with it will need to be factory reset for it to work properly.. Thanks Google. Anyway long story short FACtORY RESET and all is fine with one exception Facebook does sometimes drop out. So no choice Back up your stuff and go for it.No doubt there will be a few app updates inc FB soon

Griff88

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Give it a few days and it will be as slow as hell again.

I installed LP5 from a ROM which effectively wiped everything and started from scratch. All was great for a week and the N7 felt like it was brand new again. Then it started slowing down... It's now about as much use as a paperweight.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I did a second factory reset last night after clearing cache. It was better at first, but is slow again. Turning off Google Now definitely helps. Facebook is awful. The build on the 2012 is LRX21P. The build on my Nexus 9 is LRX21R. The Nexus 9 is really smooth. I'm very disappointed with Lollipop on the 2012 N7. I'm hoping a fix will come out soon.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't have Facebook on my tablet, so maybe that's why I am not having issues with lollipop. I have been reading a lot of folks reporting Facebook, Lollipop and slowdown in the same sentence. Sounds like to me it is a Facebook problem not Google. The bad thing is people are blaming Google for it.

Posted via the Android Central App

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop ran terrible on my device and I didn't have Facebook installed either, people are blaming Google because they released an OS into the wild that shouldn't of passed testing, at least on the Nexus 7. A factory reset and the other tweaks worked initially, but within a couple of hours it was grinding to a halt.

I'm running KitKat again, I won't go near Lollipop this side of Christmas.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm two days post-factory reset, with fairly heavy use of the tablet, and I haven't seen any degradation of performance. I use the Google Now launcher; I do not gave Facebook. I get some random delays in responding to commands and occasional slowness in screen graphics drawing, and scrolling between home screens and the Google Now screen is not buttery smooth. I have had a little trouble with listening to podcasts while simultaneously trying to view graphically intensive websites, but otherwise it's functional overall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

wupperpupper

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
What did you do to get back to Kit Kat? I did the factory reset and it just gave me lollipop still. I'm not the most technical person so I'd really appreciate info on how to get rid of lollipop.

Lasermn

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I do run facebook, and I did a Factory reset and cleared the cache. The tablet is not running very well compared to Kit Kat. It has slowed down quite a bit and seems to chew through the battery. I am still hopeful though, that as apps provide updates my tablet will settle down and run better. I just hope my 1st gen MOTO X isn't screwed up as badly as the tablet was! I will delay that OTA as long as possible!

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset does NOT work. In fact, I'd say this update is broken at the very least. Chrome is completely unusable. The lag is ridiculous. Brain dead monkeys could code better than this. Do you Beta Test Google? I can't even use YOUR browser. Idiots. Absolute idiots.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be - as reported in these forums and others - less than a 30% success rate with a factory reset achieving a (lasting) resolution, so I'm tempted to give it a pass.
Worst offenders so far are the aforementioned Facebook and, weirdly, Google's own Chrome browser - both slow and unstable in my experience.
Android Lollipop.1, where are you?

ADDENDUM: Deleted Facebook app. Added Dolphin Browser - together with its companion add-on Dolphin Connect to my desktop Firefox (also for Chrome and Safari) for sync - and I've regained zippiness and stability on the browser front. Also, incidentally, on the Facebook front as I easily access it from the browser.

Now, about the rest of the experience on Lollipop...

Last edited:

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm about 24 hours into a factory reset of my N7 (2012) and it seems to be doing fine, aside from the occasional lag. Knock on wood!

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be - as reported in these forums and others - less than a 30% success rate with a factory reset achieving a (lasting) resolution, so I'm tempted to give it a pass.
Worst offenders so far are the aforementioned Facebook and, weirdly, Google's own Chrome browser - both slow and unstable in my experience.
Android Lollipop.1, where are you?

ADDENDUM: Deleted Facebook app. Added Dolphin Browser - together with its companion add-on Dolphin Connect to my desktop Firefox (also for Chrome and Safari) for sync - and I've regained zippiness and stability on the browser front. Also, incidentally, on the Facebook front as I easily access it from the browser.

Now, about the rest of the experience on Lollipop...
Thanks for the pointer to dolphin. Chrome is so bad I can't stand it. I'll give dolphin a try.

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Installed Dolphin Browser. Works sooooo much better thank Chrome. One less piece of BS to contend with on 5.0. Nice job Google. Way to drive people away from your browser.

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 became unusable after the Android 5.0 lollipop update, so i decided to do a factory reset default. Once it finished the reset it turned on o the first screen where it asks for languages but all is grayed out! Nothing i touch does anything! Any way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol