Nexus 7: Severe battery drain while device is asleep

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Recently my N7 started dumping 30 + % overnight while sleeping. This is after I turned off all syncing, keeping wifi always off, turn off Google voice commands and Greenified all apps. Nothing helped. So I disabled all Google services including Play, Framework, etc. Still didn't make a difference. When I would check battery usage it would say "Tablet Idle" was eating up my battery. Did a complete factory reset and wiped the system cache and the battery went back to its normal of only dropping 6% in 24 hrs of standby. Then once the battery got down to around 80% it dumped 33% overnight and the next night 20%. Something is definitely screwed up the the Nexus 7. I've tried every fix discussed on the forums and nothing helps. At this point, I'm done with the N7 and in the market for a new tablet.

Honestly man, I might be with you on that. This might be the last time I buy a Nexus device. Recently the thing just stopped working on me completely after just one year. I was playing clash of clans the other day, put it on the charger, went to go eat dinner, and it seemed to have rebooted itself and now gets stuck on the Google screen when powered on. I can't do anything to fix it. Might have to send it into Asus.

Btw, I was no longer having the severe battery drain I was posting about before, but I'll still lose 5% or so overnight with the tablet just sitting there, wi-fi off and everything.

Simon Leventhal

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had a similar problem with my Nexus 7 2013 wifi. Android 5 and 6 were both severely draining battery in sleep mode overnight - by an average of 20% each day between approx 11pm and 8am. I tried everything to prevent it. All the usual stuff like preventing Google Sync and switching WiFi off. I also did factory resets and running in safe mode. Nothing worked. Battery monitor apps didn't pick up anything.

I was close to writing the device off and assuming the fault was hardware based. Then I unlocked the bootloader and installed Cyanogenmod and Google Services. I started with v13 (Marshmallow). Strangely I hit the same issue. Then I wiped and reinstalled Cyanogenmod but without Google Services (didn't install gapps). Low and behold, after a full night on standby, the Nexus 7 was still at 100% battery!! This was the first time I'd seen this for a long time.

I've now uninstalled Cyanogenmod 13 and installed v14 (Nougat). Again, no standby battery loss without Google Services. I then installed the Pico version of Google Apps - which just installs Google Store. I manually installed Gmail, Google Maps, Drive and Google Keyboard from the store. Again after a night in standby, battery was still at 100% in the morning.

So I think it's fair to assume (at least on my Nexus 7), that the issue is Google Services related but had it been fixed with Nougat?