No official Android 9 Pie updates for unlocked Note 9 users.

medianemesis

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It is something of a shame that users of unlocked Note 9 devices in Northern America are yet to receive official 9.0 Pie updates from Samsung weeks after other older flagships like the Note 8 and S9+ have got same.

Even worse are beta testers who are still stuck with December updates despite their contributions to help iron out bugs and provide recommendations to improve OneUI only to be left behind.

The claim is that Samsung is waiting for every carrier to release the OTA (Verizon is slacking) before unlocked Note 9's will be updated. Interesting excuse because when the beta version updates were pushed out earlier, they went out to every beta tester at the same time regardless of carrier.

The Samsung support team don't even respond to questions anymore, preferring the canned response thanking you for joining the beta and urging you to submit error logs - amusing considering the beta is more or less ended.

Interestingly, no tech media site or YouTuber has paid attention to this predicament either via comment, post or footnote. Can't blame them, they're apparently cuddling their new S10+ while they wait to embrace the Fold. As for the rest of us beta-testers, we have no choice but to go gnash out teeth on the Samsung Members app while Samsung gleefully dishes out their bot responses while they hope we pre-order the Galaxy S10+ and drown out our sorrow with free Galaxy Buds.

Gotta love Samsung...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It is something of a shame that users of unlocked Note 9 devices in Northern America are yet to receive official 9.0 Pie updates from Samsung weeks after other older flagships like the Note 8 and S9+ have got same.

Even worse are beta testers who are still stuck with December updates despite their contributions to help iron out bugs and provide recommendations to improve OneUI only to be left behind.

The claim is that Samsung is waiting for every carrier to release the OTA (Verizon is slacking) before unlocked Note 9's will be updated. Interesting excuse because when the beta version updates were pushed out earlier, they went out to every beta tester at the same time regardless of carrier.

The Samsung support team don't even respond to questions anymore, preferring the canned response thanking you for joining the beta and urging you to submit error logs - amusing considering the beta is more or less ended.

Interestingly, no tech media site or YouTuber has paid attention to this predicament either via comment, post or footnote. Can't blame them, they're apparently cuddling their new S10+ while they wait to embrace the Fold. As for the rest of us beta-testers, we have no choice but to go gnash out teeth on the Samsung Members app while Samsung gleefully dishes out their bot responses while they hope we pre-order the Galaxy S10+ and drown out our sorrow with free Galaxy Buds.

Gotta love Samsung...

I feel you as I was beta testing with the unlocked firmware, but we knew what we be getting into with beta testing no guarantee for us , now I can help you get out of beta by simply going to smart switch on computer and will prompt you back on the latest oreo which was December, but you cant get back into the pie beta again.

medianemesis

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I do know what beta testing entails, that's why I haven't complained about the state of software we were experimenting with.

And yes, updates weren't promised either.

What sucks is the fact that other carrier versions have got said updates (and these carriers usually delay so as to include their bloatware, meaning the basic official OTA has been available way before theirs) and Samsung's silence on the matter.

They originally promised a Feb 21st release date, and after failing that deadline they've only provided canned answers to questions even when said answer does not even fit the question.

It is honestly insulting at this point...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I do know what beta testing entails, that's why I haven't complained about the state of software we were experimenting with.

What sucks is the fact that other carrier versions have got said updates (and these carriers usually delay so as to include their bloatware, meaning the basic official OTA has been available way before theirs) and Samsung's silence on the matter.

They originally promised a Feb 21st release date, and after failing that deadline they've only provided canned answers to questions even when said answer does not even fit the question.

I understand trust me , I was upset also .
They did have firmware ready but all 4 carriers have to test it for approval to make sure on the unlocked version would be trouble free as Samsung doesn't have team to test out all 4 carriers themselves but let the carriers find any issues if that makes sense , it sucks but it's the way it is and I understand you being upset I'm with you but that's the situation.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

TMobile hasn't gotten it yet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"No official Android 9 Pie updates for unlocked Note 9 users."

Title of this thread sounds like it's never coming. :confused:

tazz602

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Gotta love Samsung...

While true - but given that things like this always raise their head AFTER the stable release - I'm not mad I have to wait. I want it, yes, but get it right.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/ne...n-issue-reports-on-one-ui-android-pie-1999489

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the negatives of getting an unlocked device. You pretty have to not think about updates and be surprised when you get one.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the negatives of getting an unlocked device. You pretty have to not think about updates and be surprised when you get one.
Well ... an unlocked Samsung device. Some manufacturers have agreed to Google's terms of releasing when Google does (they get the update - with source - a month before Google releases, so they already got the March update around February 5th), Samsung hasn't. And Google, of course, is unlocked (except the version that Verizon sells - it's unlocked, but the bootloader isn't unlockable) and releases regularly enough to set your calendar.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well ... an unlocked Samsung device. Some manufacturers have agreed to Google's terms of releasing when Google does (they get the update - with source - a month before Google releases, so they already got the March update around February 5th), Samsung hasn't. And Google, of course, is unlocked (except the version that Verizon sells - it's unlocked, but the bootloader isn't unlockable) and releases regularly enough to set your calendar.
Your preaching to the choir. We all know how it's SUPPOSED to go.

From a carrier standpoint, at least on AT&T models, we typically one month behind Google because of AT&Ts own internal testing. So we'll see February security update in March. Some people have gotten February already but it's not fully being pushed out.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I literally got the note 9 today, the 27th. Coming from a pixel3xl, I want pie. I pinged Samsung support for timing and was told the pie update for unlocked devices has now been released. It's a throttled rollout. Then they robbed the joke by telling me... Or take it to Best buy.. They have a tool that will update it. I had to talk myself back into buying a Samsung. Then they say that. Rethinking...

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The update will be released in January.....wait no no actually in February....no no......I mean CMon Samsung release the unlocked update!!!!

The Rambler

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I literally got the note 9 today, the 27th. Coming from a pixel3xl, I want pie. I pinged Samsung support for timing and was told the pie update for unlocked devices has now been released. It's a throttled rollout. Then they robbed the joke by telling me... Or take it to Best buy.. They have a tool that will update it. I had to talk myself back into buying a Samsung. Then they say that. Rethinking...

Well my wife got the update on her unlocked Galaxy S9 over the weekend... So that gives me a little hope for my Note

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I flashed pie a while ago and never looked back. I highly recommend everyone else to do the same. Now I don't even think about it. If you need motivation, they just updated the bixby key to open any app you want which is so dope!

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I flashed pie a while ago and never looked back. I highly recommend everyone else to do the same. Now I don't even think about it. If you need motivation, they just updated the bixby key to open any app you want which is so dope!

I thought you could only do it on the carrier versions, not the unlocked model?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I loaded the carrier version as well and then had to put 8.01 back on it because I brought an unlocked Note 9 and could not stand having the t-mobile splash screen and apps. Any way to get around that?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you need pie and do not mind the carrier firmware and know howto use Odin, you can flash back to an unlocked version following directions on XDA. I flashed the latest unlocked Beta for Note 9 and just wish there was an unlocked note 9 final version floating around. Firmware Science has been the site I keep checking.