No sim Phone vs Tablet

Ad999

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello out there...

Not very technical individual here and need some direction on a new (used) device. My phone is a moto g XT1034 from maybe 10yrs ago. It works fine and I am not looking for a new phone.

More and more I am finding devices that use an app for an interface. For example I bought a battery charger (ISDT) for a wheelchair battery project. It has an app that requires location and other permissions that I do not want to allow. Of course the app won't work with those permissions.

So I'm looking for an Android phone or tablet to use for these types of products. Another battery charger from Victron Energy and it's the same story...they want all my data. Believe I can use a phone without a sim card (connected thru wifi) to manage.

Do most devices have both bluetooth and wifi? I do not want another device with a sim card. Hopefully I've explained what I'm trying to accomplish. Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Found a used motog 8gb for $12 before shipping. I'm dumb enough to consider it! Never owned a tablet but not against it. What would you do for the least expensive, trouble free device? It will never be used for making calls or sending text.

Thxs in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What you want to do should work. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. I would personally opt for a phone. This way if anything does happen to your daily driver, you already have a backup, and can get another dirt cheap replacement.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen an android phone/tablet without both Bluetooth and WiFi, most any device you find should do what you want.

Keep in mind however some apps do require more recent versions of Android to function so eventually you will encounter something you can't install if you're using an old enough device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also be aware that a phone from a prepaid service (like Tracfone) may require you to activate it on that service before using it, even if you don't plan to use it without a SIM.

Ad999

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I see the Pixel 2 xl is updating to Android 11...and available for around $60 usd. Will search the forum for more info on those. Thanks for the very helpful replies! Wondering how long my moto g running android 5.1 will keep working.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 3a would also be a good choice -- you can get it refurbished at Daily Steals for $84 right now. The 3a was just updated to Android 12, and will still get monthly security updates through May 2022. I got a refurbished 3a XL from Daily Steals a while back for $90, and it worked fine. The screen had some slight defects that can only be seen on a bright white screen, but performance has been otherwise flawless.

dailysteals.com/google-pixel-3a-64gb-just-black-fully-unlocked-single-sim-smartphone/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20