No simultaneous voice and data on Verizon?

jmosier

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Why would the Note 4 have voice and data, but the Edge does not? Makes no sense why they would copy the 4 in almost every other way and leave this out. Verizon has great coverage, but if they don't find a way to give me voice and data, then I will take my business elsewhere.

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Why would the Note 4 have voice and data, but the Edge does not? Makes no sense why they would copy the 4 in almost every other way and leave this out. Verizon has great coverage, but if they don't find a way to give me voice and data, then I will take my business elsewhere.

That is crazy. I have simultaneous voice and data on my edge. I am guessing it is just a VZW issue.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

KingJay708

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me this is just an isolated issue with ur phone and not true to all Verizon edge devices.

If true, phone will be returned immediately once I receive it . $400 is way to much if they are short changing the device.

Last edited:

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me this is just an isolated issue with ur phone and not true to all Verizon edge devices.

If true, phone will be returned immediately once I receive it . $400 is way to much if they are short changing the device.

I don't think it is an issue. My best friend bought one on vzw today. I just called him on his and had him go to a website while on the phone with me and he was able to to surf the net, update facebook, etc. And no he was not on wifi.

--- Sent from my fantastic Note Edge--- "IT'S NOTE A GIMMICK, THEY JUST HATE US CAUSE THEY AIN'T US!!!!!!"✒✒

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me. Every phone released on verizon since the Moto X 2014 has not had simultaneous voice and data. Verizon is forcing manufacturers to exclude the radios required for this because they want to get everyone pushed to their VoLTE network. This includes the new X, turbo, Sony Z3v, LG g3, and maybe others. Some have gotten the VoLTE update, but most have not. Would not surprise me at all if vzw forced Samsung to follow along.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thx. That's more like it. Otherwise that would have been a major problem for me.

Well we are in the milwaukee wi market so that plays a part in it as well. I wish you luck.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me. Every phone released on verizon since the Moto X 2014 has not had simultaneous voice and data. Verizon is forcing manufacturers to exclude the radios required for this because they want to get everyone pushed to their VoLTE network. This includes the new X, turbo, Sony Z3v, LG g3, and maybe others. Some have gotten the VoLTE update, but most have not. Would not surprise me at all if vzw forced Samsung to follow along.

You have to go into settings. And select advanced calling. That will do it.

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to enable Advanced Calling in settings BUT if you have ringback tones or Caller Id, it DISABLES those features. So you have to choose which one you want. 😕

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Will signing up for advanced calling solve the issue? Does it cost anything? My phone knocked me offline when I took a call.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You have to go into settings. And select advanced calling. That will do it.

That's different than how previous phones did it. The S5 for example doesn't need volte/advanced calling for simultaneous voice and data. The newer phones need it, and still can't do it if you're not on a tower that supports VoLTE.

TigerMomma57

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Stopped into my local Verizon store and they fixed the problem. In settings, advanced call settings, activate. That's it. All works now. I love my Edge.

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Will signing up for advanced calling solve the issue? Does it cost anything? My phone knocked me offline when I took a call.

Advanced calling is a "Free Add-On" in Verizon's terms. Essentially you have to consciously add it to the plan, but there's a $0.00 monthly charge for it lol

liquidsense

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
It should be noted, however, that if you have advanced calling enabled, your call is over the LTE network. Accordingly, if you move into an area that has spotty LTE, or if your phone drops LTE (for example, goes on 3G), you drop your call, believe it or not. Stated another way, you can make calls ONLY when you are on a solid LTE connection. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
It should be noted, however, that if you have advanced calling enabled, your call is over the LTE network. Accordingly, if you move into an area that has spotty LTE, or if your phone drops LTE (for example, goes on 3G), you drop your call, believe it or not. Stated another way, you can make calls ONLY when you are on a solid LTE connection. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

This is true, hopefully they can figure out how to fix that.. Major flaw :) but it is still in 1.0, so theres plenty of time to work on it (full rollout isn't planned until ~2020)

liquidsense

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a huge step backwards at the expense of the customers if you ask me. In order to use data while on a call, you have to willingly subject your calling ability to only an LTE network, thus drastically reducing your coverage. That's loony, if you ask me. I'm coming from a Moto X 2013 on which I could have data and talk (without being limited to LTE), and now I'm losing that essential and significant aspect of the service. Crazy.

Tomofphoenix

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a huge step backwards at the expense of the customers if you ask me. In order to use data while on a call, you have to willingly subject your calling ability to only an LTE network, thus drastically reducing your coverage. That's loony, if you ask me. I'm coming from a Moto X 2013 on which I could have data and talk (without being limited to LTE), and now I'm losing that essential and significant aspect of the service. Crazy.

Bought the Galaxy S6 yesterday. Tested it today. I'll be returning it. The fact that if you start a call on 3G, and during that call you will not have data (evenIfYouEndUpInAnLTEcoverageZone) until you hang up....Is ridiculous!

Ariane Simpson

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm with verizon and I added the advanced calling 1.0 and my phone and my parents phones weren't able if get calls or make them! I called support and they had to turn it off so we coulee incoming and out going calls. My mom's and my phones are the galaxy note 5 and my dads phone is the galaxy s5!
Its stupid that we don't have this feature with these phones but did with our galaxy s4!
Took me 4 hours to be able to get calls and make calls again. New phones should have the feature of using whatever while on a call!

Sarah Navey

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
My s4 on Verizon let me do lte and talk at the same time and it was an amazing feature. When I upgraded to the 6 I realized I couldn't anymore! I followed your instructions and it worked. I appreciate the help!