No SVDO on Sprint S4!!!

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well your saying a couple years back.. That would depend on the area.. If your phone was actually on their GSM network or on their beloved edge network.. And what phone. This is why ATT always used to boast about voice and data at the same time because the other carriers (Verizon and Sprint) were CDMA and couldn't do it.. But their GSM can. ATT doesn't brag as much anymore about it since LTE can handle voice and data at the same time.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

A blackberry on GSM then 2g iPhone, then a blackeberry bold 9350 and last, a Motorola Cliq.....
Non had it.....not even on 3g (which I know with my iphone back then on their 2g/edge network it wasn't possible).

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried.
HTC One does not support SVDO on 3G.

carriers are getting lazy now....this is a complete downgrade from the s4 because the s3 had it and it was wonderful.....the s4 is a great phone in all aspects except this and it's the only thing making me miss my s3

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't because of Sprint. It was because of something Qualcomm has done with the SOC's on the S4 and later phones. Ever since the newer chips came out SVDO has been lost on 3G CDMA.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't because of Sprint. It was because of something Qualcomm has done with the SOC's on the S4 and later phones. Ever since the newer chips came out SVDO has been lost on 3G CDMA.

It's not even sprint. Any of the CDMA s4's do not have it

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Consistent 4G signal is so unreliable at this point on Sprint...

I seriously doubt that Sprint LTE will be a acceptably functional within the next year.(

That's not true. Before my city had LTE officially turned on, many people on Sprint enjoyed 4G LTE for almost a year.
Now we have it and also in all the towns around here.

It's just a matter of where you live, you might have it or not. But it will get there. I hope!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Attachments

• 1378081383077.jpg
    1378081383077.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 31

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an EVO 4G LTE and I have been using data and voice at the same time in 3G. I am on a call using Waze and I have downloaded an app from the Play store all while driving (I have my phone propped in a cradle) before I get scolded. It works for me.

My area does not have 4G.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO 4G LTE and I have been using data and voice at the same time in 3G. I am on a call using Waze and I have downloaded an app from the Play store all while driving (I have my phone propped in a cradle) before I get scolded. It works for me.

My area does not have 4G.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Yea that phone, along with the s3 worked. But the newer htc one, and s4 doesn't work

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

What are you talking about? The S4 can do Voice and data on 3g with other carriers just not Sprint.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about? The S4 can do Voice and data on 3g with other carriers just not Sprint.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Yes on gsm which uses totally different setup but on 3g cdma it does not do svdo, for which Qualcomm has stated. Eversince they announced the pro series socs.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I hate that the GS4 doesn't have that ability.

I concur with those saying it's a downgrade. Those without 4G LTE in their area will suffer the consequences. Even those of us with 4G will suffer when out of a LTE area.

It definitely sucks! :banghead::mad:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
carriers are getting lazy now....this is a complete downgrade from the s4 because the s3 had it and it was wonderful.....the s4 is a great phone in all aspects except this and it's the only thing making me miss my s3

This is a manufacturer thing.. Not a carrier thing. The only thing you could blame the carrier for is using CDMA which doesn't support simultaneous voice and data.

Yes the GSM carriers can always do Voice and data at the same time. The standard allows it. The only reason Verizon can is because usually majority of the users are on LTE. The Sprint S4 can do Voice and data... If you are on LTE. Verizon is in the same boat if they drop to 3g they won't be able to do them at the same time.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a manufacturer thing.. Not a carrier thing. The only thing you could blame the carrier for is using CDMA which doesn't support simultaneous voice and data.

Yes the GSM carriers can always do Voice and data at the same time. The standard allows it. The only reason Verizon can is because usually majority of the users are on LTE. The Sprint S4 can do Voice and data... If you are on LTE. Verizon is in the same boat if they drop to 3g they won't be able to do them at the same time.

That's true! ^
Those of us in areas with 4G LTE have the chance to talk on the phone and browse the web at the same time, no problem.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Same for me on the sprint s3, I can talk on my phone and browse tapatalk at the same time, on both 3g and 4g.

I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work on the s4, unless you have it turned off somehow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Same for me on the sprint s3, I can talk on my phone and browse tapatalk at the same time, on both 3g and 4g.

I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work on the s4, unless you have it turned off somehow.

Different Qualcomm SOC than on the GS3, the newer SOCs dont have the capability because of something Qualcomm has done.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The S3 can.. The chip has technically 2 cdma chips.. One designated for radio (cell) other for data. The S4 has one.. So it can only do one task at a time on 3g.

I'm telling you its hardware. I've done my homework on it because when I was on Sprint I wasn't sure why I couldn't do 3g voice and data on my HTC One. There is NO SETTING that will change this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katcragon