Nokia 7.1 or other Android One vs iPhone 7?

jfaught

Jul 11, 2019
Visit site
I was a longtime BlackBerry user, eventually moving over to the Android DTEK60 two years ago. I prefer the close-to-stock Android experience; I've handled some family members Samsung phones before and hated their bloated environment.

However, my phone is on its last leg performance-wise (mainly battery issues). I'm on a budget (two young kids, house/car payments, etc) so I can't really afford anything over $300.

I'm looking for something with stock or near-stock Android (really interested in Android One), USB-C, I don't want a phone with larger dimensions than my DTEK60 (seriously, I don't need to carry a small tablet or mini-TV), something with decent battery.

I don't want movies or do games, primarily just browsing, some social media, some work-related apps.

I've been looking at a Nokia 7.1, but my iPhone-obsessed boss has offered to buy me a refurbished iPhone 7. I've never owned an iPhone and haven't really liked the experience when I've flipped through one, but at the same time I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth if it's a good alternative.

Thoughts?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't do Apple anything. I have a Pixel but I recently bought an adopted nephew a Xiaomi Mi A2 Android One for under $300. He's out of town visiting family for two weeks so I've been playing with his phone. I think it's pretty impressive. Works fine. I like Android One.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I was a longtime BlackBerry user, eventually moving over to the Android DTEK60 two years ago. I prefer the close-to-stock Android experience; I've handled some family members Samsung phones before and hated their bloated environment.

However, my phone is on its last leg performance-wise (mainly battery issues). I'm on a budget (two young kids, house/car payments, etc) so I can't really afford anything over $300.

I'm looking for something with stock or near-stock Android (really interested in Android One), USB-C, I don't want a phone with larger dimensions than my DTEK60 (seriously, I don't need to carry a small tablet or mini-TV), something with decent battery.

I don't want movies or do games, primarily just browsing, some social media, some work-related apps.

I've been looking at a Nokia 7.1, but my iPhone-obsessed boss has offered to buy me a refurbished iPhone 7. I've never owned an iPhone and haven't really liked the experience when I've flipped through one, but at the same time I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth if it's a good alternative.

Thoughts?

Your boss is offering to buy you an iPhone 7? Nice phone still in 2019.
I have a Nokia 7.1 which is also a nice phone. The iPhone 7 is no slouch though. Either would be a good choice.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Spec wise the iPhone 7 trumps their 7.1 (faster processor and better camera). However, the 7.1 does have better OS (you prefer Android), battery life, a similar construction (metal) and has a better design. If you don’t do intensive gaming/multitasking often then the 7.1 should be great for you.

If you want something better then it is possible to get the 7 Plus for less than $300 on some websites (make sure it’s genuine, I’m not too familiar with us shopping sites apart from Amazon). It has a faster processor, same software but improved battery life and cameras (slightly bigger screen as well and similar construction). But if you want a small phone go for the 7.1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere