Noob to Rooting - Need Some Advice

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I have a Verizon S4 that I just rooted with the tool that is posted in this forum. I know I have root access, but now I'm not 100% sure what to do. I downloaded CleanRom, but I'm not sure what I really need to do next in the course of events. If someone could point me in the right direction or give me a real quick tutorial, I would be forever in your debt - maybe even toss ya a beer on PayPal or something. Ha!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have a Verizon S4 that I just rooted with the tool that is posted in this forum. I know I have root access, but now I'm not 100% sure what to do. I downloaded CleanRom, but I'm not sure what I really need to do next in the course of events. If someone could point me in the right direction or give me a real quick tutorial, I would be forever in your debt - maybe even toss ya a beer on PayPal or something. Ha!

You are missing something. Most ROMs like a custom recovery, like TWRP or Clockwork Mod. I personally prefer CWM, but that's me. Now, since you rooted successfully, I would figure out how to flash CWM, and then, before anything else....make a back up of your current ROM. This will prevent future headaches.

Second, double check to make sure you downloaded the proper file for your device. Meaning the file for the model number and your model number match exactly. (Never flash international ROMs...very bad things happen).

OK...now, copy your ROM file to your SD card (many ROMs prefer externals) and reboot into recovery. Then select, clear cache partition, wipe data/factory reset (gonna suck I know, but this step is highly, HIGHLY recommended), and then select install zip from sd card.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You are missing something. Most ROMs like a custom recovery, like TWRP or Clockwork Mod. I personally prefer CWM, but that's me. Now, since you rooted successfully, I would figure out how to flash CWM, and then, before anything else....make a back up of your current ROM. This will prevent future headaches.

Second, double check to make sure you downloaded the proper file for your device. Meaning the file for the model number and your model number match exactly. (Never flash international ROMs...very bad things happen).

OK...now, copy your ROM file to your SD card (many ROMs prefer externals) and reboot into recovery. Then select, clear cache partition, wipe data/factory reset (gonna suck I know, but this step is highly, HIGHLY recommended), and then select install zip from sd card.

Thanks for the quick response! Well I used the tool that's in this forum, which was incredibly easy to use. I think there's always to install CWM or TWRP through that tool. Would that be the way to go?

So then I would just install that, backup my current ROM, and follow the rest of your instructions?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response! Well I used the tool that's in this forum, which was incredibly easy to use. I think there's always to install CWM or TWRP through that tool. Would that be the way to go?

So then I would just install that, backup my current ROM, and follow the rest of your instructions?

For the recovery, I would double check this against the unlockr website and qbking77 on youtube just to make sure.

Once you have the recovery set, then yes. Backup, wipe, and install in recovery mode.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No problem at all. I'll look into this and I appreciate all of your help!

If you choose CWM your steps would be to reboot into recovery>install zip from SD card>choose zip from external> select appropriate file. If the file name is long, complicated, or just plain full of just characters, I would rename it via PC to make it easier to load.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If you choose CWM your steps would be to reboot into recovery>install zip from SD card>choose zip from external> select appropriate file. If the file name is long, complicated, or just plain full of just characters, I would rename it via PC to make it easier to load.

So I downloaded ROM Manager, booted into recovery and tried to make a backup of my stock ROM before doing anything else, but it said that if failed. Now when my phone rebooted it says I'm almost out of storage space. I'm rebooting to see if it clears that up, but I don't know why it wouldn't complete the backup.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I downloaded ROM Manager, booted into recovery and tried to make a backup of my stock ROM before doing anything else, but it said that if failed. Now when my phone rebooted it says I'm almost out of storage space. I'm rebooting to see if it clears that up, but I don't know why it wouldn't complete the backup.

When it reboots, go into Settings>Storage and see how much remaining space you have. Post a screen shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86