Noob wants to root

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So i want to root using unrevoked's latest to root my froyo OTA. My only real reason is to get rid of the stuff verizon stuck on there i have no intention of using like skype, vznavigator, and some other stuff like peep etc...

I like Froyo and I like Sense so my question is, using the one click unrevoked (I'm on a Mac also so no drivers right?) after its done rooting will i still be on Froyo, just rooted or is it different?

Also, can anyone attest to performance gains (slickness, no lag, no twitchy screens) by ditching the bloatware or is it so miniscule it's hardly worth the effort.

Thanks in advance.

Knightslugger

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So i want to root using unrevoked's latest to root my froyo OTA. My only real reason is to get rid of the stuff verizon stuck on there i have no intention of using like skype, vznavigator, and some other stuff like peep etc...

I like Froyo and I like Sense so my question is, using the one click unrevoked (I'm on a Mac also so no drivers right?) after its done rooting will i still be on Froyo, just rooted or is it different?

Also, can anyone attest to performance gains (slickness, no lag, no twitchy screens) by ditching the bloatware or is it so miniscule it's hardly worth the effort.

Thanks in advance.

No drivers req'd for mac/linux, just run it. You will still have 2.2. you're really doing nothing to the system except running as a SuperUser, aka Root User.

The applications are so miniscually small, they don't really slow anything down having them there. there are bigger performance gains to be had by changing out kernels than removing bloat.

Personally, i'm running what you see in my siggy. i went from 2.2 OTA and 10hrs/charge to uncommon ROM / Hydra Undervolt kernel and about 2 days/charge.

nice thing about Uncommon: no bloat.
bad thing about ROMing: you have to reset-up your phone's apps all over again.

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

You are in the same boat as me. I am considering rooting to remove the bloatware and also maybe to install stuff like Titanium Backup. I do not really want to flash a rom at this time but maybe would be interested in changing a few things here and there using a theme.

I am wondering if it is worth it to root for these reasons and what if any disadvantages there would be. I definitely want to be able to get any updates that are put out.

I am also on a Mac so our situations are almost identical :D

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the fence. I'm leaning towards rooting it and ditching the bloat. Even if its small, its still there and it bugs me I guess. I might put custom ROMs and kernels and stuff on later (as soon as i figure out what a "kernel" is ha ha).

Doesn't seem like it would be a big gain in performance but just knowing Skype is running in the background irritates me.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
When you do root, the First thing you do is make a nandroid backup, especially if you are going to start messing around with roms and kernels. It has saved my @ss more than once. The second thing you do is get Titanium Backup from the market and save all of your apps and the data inside those apps so you can restore them in a few minutes after flashing a new rom or kernel. This too has saved me countless hours...

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If you root and only remove rhe bloatware and use some of the backup apps or other root only apps but keep custom rom will you be able to get OTA updates?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If you root and only remove rhe bloatware and use some of the backup apps or other root only apps but keep custom rom will you be able to get OTA updates?

I have read not to remove certain apps all together because when an update is pushed, it looks for the apps that should be there for it to validate that you have an approved ROM running. The info i got out of was to re-name them to keep them from being recognized as an app and running. That way when an update does come out you simply rename it back to what it was, .apk rather than .apk.bak, so you can get the new update.

It was on here somewhere, hard to remember exactly where since i've been reading dozens of threads on rooting for idiots (me the idiot, not you or anyone else :p )

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
How easy is it to unroot on a DInc? I was reading that unrooting is different on each device. If it is easy to undue I may take the plunge and root!

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
if you are running the standard rom but are rooted when you get the ota it will break root access and you will have to re root if i am not mistaken.

but i too am on the fence for the same reasons ironically on a mac as well but might be switching back to windows lol been a mac user for 6 years.

im interested in roms w/themes but mostly bloatware removal as well.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Well it's done. I'm rooted. coco, you being one of many of us on the fence provided me with the push to just do it!

Painless as they say it is with unrevoked3. in fact it was so easy and so quick i wasn't sure it had really worked until i went to make a nandroid backup. Didn't loose any apps, didn't loose any settings. I was prepaired to spend the next 45 minutes restoring all my apps and crap, nope, still there.

Only hiccup was instaliing titanium free version. said it wouldn't work without busybox so i hit "problems" and let it install it for me then bam..all good.

I am now free of skype (really verizon?) city id and considering un-installing peep my verizon mobile. i would ditch facebook but all my friends and my wife keep bugging me to join so now i'm on the fence about that too...doesn't speak well of my decision making ability but really, i'm not that wishy washy..just don't want to brickup my Inc!

All fence sitters, go for it...it really is easy and if you never change an app or anything it still functions just like it always did.

S.SubZero#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I was unsure about rooting, but I got tired of Skype, City ID, etc., so I went and did it. I used unrevoked, threw Titanium Backup on it, and Backed up/deleted those apps. I'm hesitant to do anything with the "HTC" branded apps like Peep or the Stocks thing, tho I never use them. I recently switched from the HTC Mail client to the stock Android 2.2 Mail (for Exchange ActiveSync to Hotmail) and now I am considering backing up/deleting the HTC Mail client.

Other than that I haven't done any tweaks to my phone. I even did the S-ON thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjd19891