NoSubject on all group texts

bthornton84

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My Galaxy S7 SM-G930F got the Nougat update and I'm loving it so far. And as someone who couldn't stand TouchWiz, I'm finally starting to jump off of the "stock Google everything" bandwagon and actually prefer the clean/unified look of the Grace UX apps that come with the S7. So I decided to switch to the default "Messages" app after using Google's Messenger.

Just one big problem: All of my group texts show "NoSubject" where the preview of the last message sent should be. This is also what I see if someone sends me a picture on a 1:1 text message. Surely anybody who performed basic QA on this app at all wouldn't have let such a glaring usability issue through, so I'm hoping there's just a setting I need to change somewhere. (Unless I'm the weird one and thread listing where half of the rows show "NoSubject" is actually preferable to the millions of people who presumably use this app?)

Is there a way to turn this "feature" off and instead see a preview of the last message sent?

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how that is a usability issue in the least little bit. I do not know anyone who cares at all what the subject of a text message is or if that is what is displayed. The messages app will only display the subject of a conversation if the last text sent was a multimedia message. A message gets automatically converted to a multimedia msg if it is one that contains multimedia, if it is a group text or long single text message that was converted to multi-part that is then is automatically reassembled into 1 single text msg by the phone. If you have a problem with any of those scenarios, then I suggest when you do that make sure you add a subject to those texts and it won't display No Subject.

bthornton84

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree: I also don't know anybody who cares what the subject of a text thread is (considering it changes constantly)--so why force me to see it? Similarly, everybody I know DOES care about the content of the most recent text message--so why not show that? I don't care if it's a group message or a 1:1 message, I always care about the message content. Samsung made the assumption that sometimes I care about the content, but if it's a group or multimedia message, let's make the user take extra steps to find the content. :confused:

capture1.jpgcapture2.jpg

Incidentally, I did just try setting a subject and when I got a reply, it came back "NoSubject" again. :mad: In any event, it sounds like that's the Samsung wanted it to be, so back to Google Messenger I go.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess you need to complain to the people that you text with and from now on to not bother you with texts unless they add a subject.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShockwaveGBB