Note 10+ Battery issue, moisture related after being in rain.

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I am curious if anyone else has encountered this issue. I got my Note 10+ Verizon in Sept. '19. It has been great so far. This past Sunday I had my phone in my front pocket while at work and was outside during a rain storm. When I looked at my phone it showed a water/moisture alert in my charging port. Yesterday and Today my battery life has not been as good. I am wondering if that moisture got in and effected my battery. I checked my battery settings to see if any app has been draining it, nothing. I have the battery set for optimized. Anything else I can check? Secondly, I have insurance on the phone through Verizon, would this be covered?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. 😎🌴

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
What did you do to rectify any moisture intrusion? I'm assuming that you had the phone in pocket with the port up, and perhaps got drenched? More details will help narrow the problem down some.

On the other hand, there might have some network issues that caused extra drain. I've had that happen a number of times. There are a variety of reasons for spontaneous battery drain.

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The phone was in my pocket port up. I blew into the port with my breath. I am not having any network or signal issues.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The phone was in my pocket port up. I blew into the port with my breath. I am not having any network or signal issues.

Probably should have used a dry heat, like a hair dryer, blowing across the port, not directly into it, or near a heat source. Your breath also contains a modicum of moisture, and blowing into to port with your breath would possibly force moisture to migrate further into the phone. At this point, we have no idea how much intrusion there is, but, the news isn't all bad.

If you can find something like dissicant packs or Damp Rid, and leave it in an enclosed container, the moisture can be drawn out and see if that helps. Using a hair dryer on Low might also be useful.

Measure it over a few days. You might have been a little more edgy, paying a bit more attention to the device since this happened? I'd be a little more observant, myself. ;)
I definitely would try replacing the device as a last resort, and hope you wouldn't need to go that route.

Last edited:

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Berger, it is definitely going through the battery quicker (I looked at the usage graph). You are right, I should have used a hair dryer. I am hoping maybe it will dry out or that insurance might cover it being looked at.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Berger, it is definitely going through the battery quicker (I looked at the usage graph). You are right, I should have used a hair dryer. I am hoping maybe it will dry out or that insurance might cover it being looked at.
Actually a blow drier would just most likely push moisture further in if the seal is compromised.

Last edited:

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Being that the phone is only 9-10 months old I just didn't think that there would be this kind of an issue. I use wireless charging, rarely use corded. I take good care of my phones. Lesson learned about rain/moisture and a phone.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Being that the phone is only 9-10 months old I just didn't think that there would be this kind of an issue. I use wireless charging, rarely use corded. I take good care of my phones. Lesson learned about rain/moisture and a phone.

Yeah, I'm a little picky about weather and moisture around my phone. I carry a pack of Ziploc bags in my vehicle, just for that kind of situation. If I get caught by surprise, I put the phone in with the top up, to reduce the chance of moisture infiltration.

Yeah, I'm like that. Probably comes from helping a lot of people deal with wet phones over the years.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This moisture alert been awhile on Samsung phones, you just need to properly blow out excessive water with can of compreseed air then maybe hair dryer for remaining

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Update: I had to get a replacement phone through Asurion. The usb/charging port did not work no matter what I tried. I even did a factory re-set. I work outdoors at a restaurant on the ocean. I think the salt sea air over time might have done some damage as I had a case that did not cover the port. I now have a case that covers it and a new Note 10+. 😀

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update: I had to get a replacement phone through Asurion. The usb/charging port did not work no matter what I tried. I even did a factory re-set. I work outdoors at a restaurant on the ocean. I think the salt sea air over time might have done some damage as I had a case that did not cover the port. I now have a case that covers it and a new Note 10+.
Thats great

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Update: I had to get a replacement phone through Asurion. The usb/charging port did not work no matter what I tried. I even did a factory re-set. I work outdoors at a restaurant on the ocean. I think the salt sea air over time might have done some damage as I had a case that did not cover the port. I now have a case that covers it and a new Note 10+. 😀

Great to hear that...thou every phone of mine that is water resistant..i have taken them under water in the pool and at times in the sea and zero issues luckily...though after see water....i would clean my phone with tap water to remove all the salt that can cause a problem in the future....