Note 10+ Signal Issues

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello!
So, I have been loving my Note 10+ a lot. It's fast, battery last awhile, and a nice upgrade coming from my Note 8. However, the one big issue I've been having is related to signal. I live on a dirt road surrounded by trees all around, and the only carrier that gets a little bit of decent reception is ATT with LTE (Verizon and Sprint are almost completely CDMA). My Note 8 had a bar or 2 of signal on the upper part of the house no problem, and would have a bar on the lower level sometimes/sometimes would drop it. When I received my Note 10+ and set it up, I could tell the difference. Upstairs I couldn't manage to get any signal whatsoever, but my Note 8 was still holding a bar or 2 of LTE (I'm not sure exactly what the dBm measurement was, but around -120 or so, enough for 1-2mbps and sending texts and making calls). It doesn't even receive reception on the entire road while my Note 8 could pick up a bar while walking around. It's enough of an issue that I'm going to sell it for the OnePlus 7 Pro and keep some extra cash, as the OP7 Pro has everything I would need in a phone, but not too sure about reception (Can't be any worse than right now). Anyone else having these issues? I don't mean just slower speeds, but having no signal in an area where you used to? Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello!
So, I have been loving my Note 10+ a lot. It's fast, battery last awhile, and a nice upgrade coming from my Note 8. However, the one big issue I've been having is related to signal. I live on a dirt road surrounded by trees all around, and the only carrier that gets a little bit of decent reception is ATT with LTE (Verizon and Sprint are almost completely CDMA). My Note 8 had a bar or 2 of signal on the upper part of the house no problem, and would have a bar on the lower level sometimes/sometimes would drop it. When I received my Note 10+ and set it up, I could tell the difference. Upstairs I couldn't manage to get any signal whatsoever, but my Note 8 was still holding a bar or 2 of LTE (I'm not sure exactly what the dBm measurement was, but around -120 or so, enough for 1-2mbps and sending texts and making calls). It doesn't even receive reception on the entire road while my Note 8 could pick up a bar while walking around. It's enough of an issue that I'm going to sell it for the OnePlus 7 Pro and keep some extra cash, as the OP7 Pro has everything I would need in a phone, but not too sure about reception (Can't be any worse than right now). Anyone else having these issues? I don't mean just slower speeds, but having no signal in an area where you used to? Thanks!
You have the unlocked version ?

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
The unlocked don't have the carrier aggregation ...if you flash the carrier firmware you should see a difference

It doesn't have carrier aggregation? I thought it does? I've seen LTE+ pop up whenever I'm downtown, which is usually band 12 and band 2 CA. Plus, nothing reaches my house except for Band 12, so CA shouldn't have anything to do with it I believe.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't have carrier aggregation? I thought it does? I've seen LTE+ pop up whenever I'm downtown, which is usually band 12 and band 2 CA. Plus, nothing reaches my house except for Band 12, so CA shouldn't have anything to do with it I believe.
Trust me it's not the same as Carrier version .
I have unlocked Note10+ on Att ..not good with reception..I have my unlocked s9+ on TMobile which is ok , my note 9 I switch between carrier and unlock firmware and carrier better , also have the S10+ on TMobile .

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I find my service with Verizon is worse with the note 10 plus compared to my pixel xl 2. I seem to here pretty good but people I'm talking to claim I'm choppy any suggestions?

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Trust me it's not the same as Carrier version .
I have unlocked Note10+ on Att ..not good with reception..I have my unlocked s9+ on TMobile which is ok , my note 9 I switch between carrier and unlock firmware and carrier better , also have the S10+ on TMobile .

Thanks! I may try that, sometimes I switch out my SIM cards every now and then with a Mint Mobile SIM to test out service (which is non existent at my house right now), so not sure what I'm going to do at the moment.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! I may try that, sometimes I switch out my SIM cards every now and then with a Mint Mobile SIM to test out service (which is non existent at my house right now), so not sure what I'm going to do at the moment.
Anytime, if you need help I'll be glad to guide you and you can always go back to unlocked if need be

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I find my service with Verizon is worse with the note 10 plus compared to my pixel xl 2. I seem to here pretty good but people I'm talking to claim I'm choppy any suggestions?
Yeah pixel unlocked seem to do better job, like I got Att WiFi on my unlocked pixel 3a and note 10+ no toggle

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Mustang is correct. But sometimes even carrier firmware may not fully solve your issues. AT&T IMEI devices usually get priority over non AT&T IMEI running AT&T firmware. You'll pretty much have to give it a try and see what works.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang is correct. But sometimes even carrier firmware may not fully solve your issues. AT&T IMEI devices usually get priority over non AT&T IMEI running AT&T firmware. You'll pretty much have to give it a try and see what works.
Att does not like unlocked for me on Samsung phones lol...pixel works great.
Haven't tested on my 1+7pro yet , waiting to get unlocked and flash international firmware for dual SIM .

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used carrier firmware in years. I've been getting unlocked phones. Is there a big advantage using carrier firmware?
Depends on the carrier. Like with AT&T you'll get all their enhanced features like HDVoice, Native Video Calling, Advanced Messaging, WiFi Calling, etc. Carrier devices are typically first to get patches also but not a huge deal as unlocked eventually gets it. Also, buying carrier branded devices you can deal with the carrier for warranty replacements vs dealing with Samsung.