Note 2: +1 in front of phone numbers - not Facebook related

Note4user

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Viper1025,

My phone has been doing the same thing and I have the Note 4. I recently traveled out of state and noticed that my phone changed all incoming calls to +1 while I was gone. I think this has happened to me before when I traveled out of the area, but it always returned to normal when I got back home. This time it didn't and now it appears to be stuck. It seems like the phone still thinks I'm out of the area. I sometimes have to text phone numbers from clients in my call log that are not contacts in my phone. Today I texted a number in my call log (by swiping left) with the +1 in front of it and it said the text had to be sent in 10 digit format. At first I thought I could overlook something that minor, but now it is starting to be a pain. I think I am going to contact AT&T tomorrow to see if they can help me with this issue.

jonparsons

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
i dont think the folks here get the question....................its not a (1+) or a (+1) IT IS A (+) that the question was ask about. PLEASE READ!!!!!!!! as this post notes, the number shows as +000-000-0000............. NO 1 involved

jonparsons

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
only way i have found to remove the (+) in front of re-dialed number is with an app called prefixer, downloadable in google store for free. hope this helps, it worked for me, just dont forget the \ in from of the + when you add it to look like this \+

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
@jonparsons I understand that your phone is trying to dial +000-000-0000 and that its a domestic call within USA but is being parsed as an undefined international call. You are seeing the problem as an extraneous "+". There is some possibility that you can resolve the issue looking at it that way but as more and more network infrastructure tries to support intermixed domestic and international dialing your chance of success goes down. You could, instead, think of the problem as a missing "1" and your chance of success would go up. Contact your carrier and tell them that the country code ("1") is missing from the caller id numbers you receive on your phone. Once they fix it, and once you add the "1" to any stored contacts where the numbers has a "+" without a "1" your problem should be resolved permanently.

Jeff Schutter

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I took a Motorola droid turbo from the States to Australia, and have had a lot of problems with the "+1" specifically with redial of a missed call. I think I found a solution though. If you press the phone button/app and hit the three dot menu (lower left on mine) then settings, assisted dialing. I turned off assisted dialing and changed my reference country to Australia. One or the other fixed the issue for me, for the time being at least. hope this helps!

Last edited:

Enaikelt

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a ridiculously old thread, but I got a little further information and would like to update. After going back and forth between my carrier (AT&T) and my phone (Samsung), it seems that the issue on my end is from using an unlocked phone. (There are also people for whom the issue is fixed by changing the assisted dialing settings, but not for me.)

Mine was originally a Verizon phone, which was unlocked and switched over to AT&T, and the two carriers send their international calling codes differently. The hypothesis is that since the phone is programmed to take a country code the Verizon way, it isn't recognizing however AT&T is sending it so it just leaves it blank and I end up receiving a call from "+407 123 4567" instead of "+1 407 123 4567". The AT&T rep I spoke to mentioned that this issue was pretty common with unlocked phones and they don't have a way to fix it from their end at the moment.

It seems that the only option at this point is to use a prefixer, as other people have mentioned in this thread. The one I'm using is called Prefixer ($2 in Google Store), and I set two outgoing rules:
Code:
\+1.* --> (blank)               // To filter out any numbers saved with the +1 present
\+.* --> (remove \+) (add +1)   // To handle the prefix

I'm sure there's a way to do it in one rule to avoid paying the $2, but I didn't care enough. I also tried IntlPrefix, but they only allow you to set one rule, so there's no way of getting around any contacts you have that are already saved with the +1 present. I haven't yet managed to get Prefixer to make a difference to my incoming calls.

Hope that helps somebody.

Last edited: