Note 20 ultra display looks washed out, not photos, overall screen.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I put my Note 20 Ultra next to my 6 month old Note 10 plus using identical wallpaper, icons, made it an exact duplicate of my Note 10 plus home screen. I noticed the 20 Ultra looks washed out looking, using a black pattern wallpaper, the 20 Ultra looks like the brightness is too high, though they are both set the same, also looks like the 20 Ultra has less contrast, and blacks look a little grayed out. Also running both of them with no sim card on my Google Nest wifi system the 20 Ultra is is slower in both app downloads and also slower using several different internet speed checks the 20 ultra is always slower by about 15%. Tested downloading a few exact same apps, the Note 10 plus was downloaded and finished installing while my 20 Ultra was still downloading. Went back to the AT&T store that has a service department and was told the tests I did were not useful, I asked why they were not useful but didn't get an answer from the tech guy, just said 2 things " you can't judge a phone doing that" and "that the problem is they are using 2 different versions of the Snapdragon CPU's" I think his answer was BS, as I did the same testing with my Note 10 plus and an LG V40 and wifi speeds and downloads were all less that 5% different, also the screen on my LG V40 looked almost exactly the same in color and brightness as my Note 10 plus. They did not offer to swap my 20 Ultra out for a new one. I'm pretty dissatisfied with a $1,300 phone that can't equal the screen quality or wifi speeds of an LG V40 or my Note 10 plus.
I expect at minimum at least the same screen quality and performance of my Note 10 Plus. I asked about swapping it out for a regular Note 20, but he said you did a trade in and it's already sent out, again I think that's BS.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I compared mine in several ways, like you, but with my trusty Note 9, which I was about to Factory Reset and Trade-in and the Ultra killed my 9, thankfully, after making the jump! I had skipped the Note 10 and S20... and almost skipped the Note 20 Ultra 'til I heard the trade-in price! Sorry to hear your differences are the opposite!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Looks same compared to my Note 10+, maybe my Note 20U looks little more natural. The screen on the Note20u also brighter even on the lower setting

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Unless your speed tests are being performed in a controlled environment, which is unlikely, the differences in results are not significant enough to suggest you have faulty device.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They told it us normal
Not green tint
I mean this green tint is like a complaint for every amoled device. If you take effort and try to find fault in the panel I think you can in certain conditions but never been a problem for me since I'm not looking for it and to naked eye in normal conditions I don't see. But this green tint issue comes up for every phone, I can find this reported for literally every phone released if I want to

www.sammobile.com/news/more-users-facing-green-tint-display-issues-different-galaxy-devices/amp/

www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcen...porting-green-tint-and-black-crush-issues?amp

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/19989582?hl=en

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I mean this green tint is like a complaint for every amoled device. If you take effort and try to find fault in the panel I think you can in certain conditions but never been a problem for me since I'm not looking for it and to naked eye in normal conditions I don't see. But this green tint issue comes up for every phone, I can find this reported for literally every phone released if I want to

www.sammobile.com/news/more-users-facing-green-tint-display-issues-different-galaxy-devices/amp/

www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcen...porting-green-tint-and-black-crush-issues?amp

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/19989582?hl=en
Yeah Huawei had it back in the pro20 I believe, but to me that's a defective display.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Unless your speed tests are being performed in a controlled environment, which is unlikely, the differences in results are not significant enough to suggest you have faulty device.

Thanks, yeah I'm playing around with the settings it seems the Note 20 screen is brighter by default, lowered the brightness and it made a pretty good difference. I didn't realize that the Note 20 doesn't have automatic / adaptive brightness, I realize now that the adaptive setting is for the 120mhz / 60mhz screen not the brightness. Also see that when your turn Motion Smoothness to standard adaptive brightness comes back.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, yeah I'm playing around with the settings it seems the Note 20 screen is brighter by default, lowered the brightness and it made a pretty good difference. I didn't realize that the Note 20 doesn't have automatic / adaptive brightness, I realize now that the adaptive setting is for the 120mhz / 60mhz screen not the brightness. Also see that when your turn Motion Smoothness to standard adaptive brightness comes back.

It does have adaptive brightness. Click the arrow next to the brightness slider in quick settings panel.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible it's a defective display? I purchased a samsung tv and it's colors were way off Samsung had me return it to best buy for a new one and that one was fine. I went thru hours with tech support before they said return the set. Upon returning the best buy rep said this isn't the first time this happened with Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible it's a defective display? I purchased a samsung tv and it's colors were way off Samsung had me return it to best buy for a new one and that one was fine. I went thru hours with tech support before they said return the set. Upon returning the best buy rep said this isn't the first time this happened with Samsung.
Anything is possible. I would try and compare it to a store unit if possible.