Note 20 Ultra user, should I switch to Flip3?

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
So I've been using my N20 ultra for a while now. I absolutely love the phone and all its features but the size still bums me out. I have petite hands and I've been salivating over the cuteness of the Z Flip3. But I have questions... I've been a lifelong note user and it would suck to give that up but apart from that it just feels like I'll be giving up a lot. Compared to the Note 20 ultra, what's the screen, camera quality and battery life like? I especially watch Netflix on my phone a lot and take loads of pictures. Is it worth it switching over to the Flip?

Well there are teadeoffs.....smaller battery, no dex, no spen support. These are small issues.
I use a portable Qi power bank.
You can't compare to the note 20 ultra as it's too of the line premium. the cameras are still great on the zflip3.
I switched without hesitation. Love the portability.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
As someone who has the S21 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra, Fold 3 and the Z flip 3 I'm using the flip as my daily driver and I love it. It has that awesome cool factor and can still do everything the other high end devices can(minus the better cameras/zoom and battery life). I carry 2 phones, but I'm still in my honey moon stage with the flip. Funny as I wouldn't have touched the first iteration due to the small screen and even though I wish the new one had a bigger screen like the razr it's perfectly adequate for simple task and having a watch makes task even simpler. All that said I'm enjoying my flip and it's only an experience you would know by having tried it yourself.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So funny. For years people (including me) were begging for "BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER" with regards to screens, batteries, mo'power - just about anything phone related they wanted bigger, better and more of. Now the Flip comes along and people are loving the smaller more convenient size and happily compromising on the less than stellar battery blah blah blah. Love it.

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the perspectives. I took the leap and got the flip 3 but I'm still holding on to my Note 20 ultra lol. So far though, I find myself using my note less cos of the size! So far the only thing that bothers me about the flip is the lack of dust resistance, apart from that, I'm happy 😊 but I'll give it a week more before I decide with my note.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As someone who has the S21 Ultra, Note 20 Ultra, Fold 3 and the Z flip 3 I'm using the flip as my daily driver and I love it. It has that awesome cool factor and can still do everything the other high end devices can(minus the better cameras/zoom and battery life). I carry 2 phones, but I'm still in my honey moon stage with the flip. Funny as I wouldn't have touched the first iteration due to the small screen and even though I wish the new one had a bigger screen like the razr it's perfectly adequate for simple task and having a watch makes task even simpler. All that said I'm enjoying my flip and it's only an experience you would know by having tried it yourself.
I think you need more phones

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So funny. For years people (including me) were begging for "BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER" with regards to screens, batteries, mo'power - just about anything phone related they wanted bigger, better and more of. Now the Flip comes along and people are loving the smaller more convenient size and happily compromising on the less than stellar battery blah blah blah. Love it.

Haha...so true. But no one wants the same thing all the time, over and over again (except Apple loyalists). It was time for something different.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
So I've been using my N20 ultra for a while now. I absolutely love the phone and all its features but the size still bums me out. I have petite hands and I've been salivating over the cuteness of the Z Flip3. But I have questions... I've been a lifelong note user and it would suck to give that up but apart from that it just feels like I'll be giving up a lot. Compared to the Note 20 ultra, what's the screen, camera quality and battery life like? I especially watch Netflix on my phone a lot and take loads of pictures. Is it worth it switching over to the Flip?

Upon reflection the other day I realized how I DONT miss the size of the N20U. Although I've been a huge fan of large phones and have used everything Note from the very 1st launch. The ZF3 is an awesome upgrade.
I only ever used the SPen on occasion. Whenever I remembered. Although it was a handy feature, I was willing to lose that feature for the portability of the ZF3. Love the ZF3. I dont regret the switch. I'm "hooked" as they say....

Last edited:

BigHulkDiesel

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read all through this thread, but I wanted to give my opinion coming from a Note 20 Ultra. I couldn't be happier. I was sooo tired of every single phone basically being exactly the same. A rounded rectangle slab. Nothing exciting. I have told people that the Z Flip3 is the first phone that I have been excited about in 10 years. It is different. Something more to interact with. Let's face it.... every single upgrade is a miniscule update and really nothing different. This brings back the wow/different factor.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I haven't read all through this thread, but I wanted to give my opinion coming from a Note 20 Ultra. I couldn't be happier. I was sooo tired of every single phone basically being exactly the same. A rounded rectangle slab. Nothing exciting. I have told people that the Z Flip3 is the first phone that I have been excited about in 10 years. It is different. Something more to interact with. Let's face it.... every single upgrade is a miniscule update and really nothing different. This brings back the wow/different factor.
This is so true. TheFlip³ and Fold³ definitely offer something different than the same old same old.

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

So true! Got tired of boring phones, nothing new. I got the flip 3 and traded in my note 20U for the fold 3 and I have no regrets whatsoever. I use the flip as my daily driver because its so compact and portable, I love not needing to carry a purse cos it fits in my pockets. I mainly use my fold 3 indoors for watching movies, taking notes and working when I'm travelling and don't take my laptop.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So true! Got tired of boring phones, nothing new. I got the flip 3 and traded in my note 20U for the fold 3 and I have no regrets whatsoever. I use the flip as my daily driver because its so compact and portable, I love not needing to carry a purse cos it fits in my pockets. I mainly use my fold 3 indoors for watching movies, taking notes and working when I'm travelling and don't take my laptop.
That's kind of what I do. I thought I would use the fold 3 as my daily device, but the flip has been much more enjoyable and I love the looks people give me when I flip it out. Definitely a conversation starter. My only wish is that they make the external screen more useful like being able to respond to text even if it's just a couple of pre set messages I'd be fine with that.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

S22 Ultra may be better for you. I switched from N20U and LOOOVE the ZF3. Form factor is amazing.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

No regrets at all! I got the ZF3 at launch and I LOVE the portability. It now fits great in my slim fit dress slacks. No issues whatsoever. Admittedly, I'm a convert now. It's a little beast of a phone!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I went from a Note 10+ to the ZF3. I can't say I will rave about it because I do have some issues with it. I can't in good conscious call it things like "a beast of a phone" but that's only because the poster who said that has his own reasons for being that happy with it. The battery is better after a few upgrades but I cannot say it has *good* battery. It's ok for me because I'm not a power user. Most of the time during the week it's good enough that I only have to plug it in at night. Weekends are different as I have to plug it in more often due to using the phone more but it does charge very quickly. I don't know what I'm going to do yet about the issues my phone has. I'd like to see what's going to be new in a Flip 4 before I do anything but I do believe my warranty is up in August. I have to look yet. I cannot call the Flip3 an upgrade from a Note either. I don't like that I can't get my screen really clean, it's always got fingerprints and is smudged looking. I don't like any phone where the screen can't be crystal clear/clean for awhile after I clean it. My screen always looks rather greasy. Bottom line I guess would be I like it, I just don't love it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
When open, the z flip has a 6.7 inch screen. But can fold up and fit in the palm of your hand. But having to open and close and the crease are issues that you don't have to worry about on a normal slab of a phone.

But the flip 4 is a few weeks away. With maybe a bigger battery, larger outer display, and a more unintrusive crease. So maybe hold off for the 4.

*Edit*

Oops didn't see that this thread is 9 month old.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
When open, the z flip has a 6.7 inch screen. But can fold up and fit in the palm of your hand. But having to open and close and the crease are issues that you don't have to worry about on a normal slab of a phone.

But the flip 4 is a few weeks away. With maybe a bigger battery, larger outer display, and a more unintrusive crease. So maybe hold off for the 4.

*Edit*

Oops didn't see that this thread is 9 month old.

The flip 3 can be had for as little as $300 right now. The 4 won’t be under a $1000 for a while.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The flip 3 can be had for as little as $300 right now. The 4 won’t be under a $1000 for a while.

I have an s22, I'd guess samsung will likely offer a $600 trade in on top of the $100 off preorder offer. So for me the flip 4 will a lot less than $1000. Besides, the 25 watt charging from $15 watts is enough for me to upgrade.