Note 4 rebooting almost every day randomly

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
This is my second Sprint Galaxy Note 4 (the one I had previously had issues reconnecting to WiFi networks after going out-of-range and switching to 4G, and even more annoyingly the battery would die even if fully charged if I took more than one picture at a time) and I haven't even fully set it up or installed that much on it and now it seems to be rebooting almost every day at random times. Some days it reboots several times in the day. I have no idea what is causing this, but is there any troubleshooting or diagnostic testing I can do to figure out why this is happening? Or does anyone have any suggestions for how I can either figure out what's causing this or fix it? The phone is running:

- Software version: N910PVPS4DPD1
- Hardware version: N910P.05
- Android version: 6.0.1
- Android security patch level: April 2, 2016
- Baseband version: N910PVPS4DPD1
- Not rooted or otherwise modified aside from settings changes and installed apps (and international unlock done by Sprint)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Sounds like the battery may be bad, Try using a different battery, (never hurts to have an extra anyway).

You can try wiping the cache partition in recovery and see if that "might" help. If that, nor the battery change helps,then the next step, before a service center visit, would be to do a full factory reset.

Hope this helps!

Chris

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Besides what H3aTeRzz has posted, you might try starting your phone in Safe mode. Read the article about what safe mode does.

Also, you might check to see if the battery contacts are making a good connection. There should be some "spring" to them to ensure contact with the battery when its inserted. Just something to check.

Lastly, the OS you listed is Marshmallow. If this is a recent update you just got, a cache wipe and factory reset (like H3aTeRzz mentioned) might be a good idea since you say almost nothing is installed on the phone. Be sure you back up your data if you're going to factory reset, and disable Playstore auto update just in case an app is causing the issue. You don't want to reset the phone just to have the problem reappear if Playstore reinstalls a problem app.

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
Hi

Sounds like the battery may be bad, Try using a different battery, (never hurts to have an extra anyway).

You can try wiping the cache partition in recovery and see if that "might" help. If that, nor the battery change helps,then the next step, before a service center visit, would be to do a full factory reset.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Funny you should mention the battery. As I said, this was my second Note 4, and I received it from Sprint supposedly as a new replacement for the problematic previous one, but only recently activated it and began using it. Prior to activating this one, I ordered an OEM replacement battery for the other Note 4 direct from Samsung and it's been a month and a half and I still haven't actually received that replacement battery yet. I'm dealing with them now trying to figure out why that is, but will definitely try replacing this battery with that new one as soon as I get it!

As far as wiping the cache partition in recovery - can you advise (or point me in the direction) how to do that, as well as whether there are any downsides or other problems (or caveats) that might result from doing this? And whether it will cause the loss of any data, settings, customizations, etc.?

Thanks!

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
Besides what H3aTeRzz has posted, you might try starting your phone in Safe mode. Read the article about what safe mode does.

Also, you might check to see if the battery contacts are making a good connection. There should be some "spring" to them to ensure contact with the battery when its inserted. Just something to check.

Lastly, the OS you listed is Marshmallow. If this is a recent update you just got, a cache wipe and factory reset (like H3aTeRzz mentioned) might be a good idea since you say almost nothing is installed on the phone. Be sure you back up your data if you're going to factory reset, and disable Playstore auto update just in case an app is causing the issue. You don't want to reset the phone just to have the problem reappear if Playstore reinstalls a problem app.

Definitely some good suggestions - I will look into them ASAP and post back here with the results. Thanks very much!

mynameisusername

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I have been testing and testing from removing SD to removing apps to disabling bloatware (did some but bought the package disabler just for good measure... and it was only $0.99 so....) and nothing seems to have fixed my reboot/freezing issue until I gave it some thought and how sometimes nothing responses as if the battery isn't making proper contact. I removed my wireless charging card a few months ago when I got Anker's 2 battery plus travel charger (works great but someone didn't think it 100% though) as I would have to unstick the charging pad every time I changed my battery. Well, I decided to put the pad back on thinking the secondary battery circuit would be complete. Well, guess what? It worked like a charm! the Note 4 runs like new and have no freezes or reboots.

I think it has to do with worn battery contact in the phone itself regardless if you keep changing the battery or not. It might just be one of those "timed bombs" engineers (though I'd blame accountants more) do so you are "encouraged" to buy new phones (my dad was an engineer and designed parts to fail after X amount of time/use).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777